Fishing gloves

Anything and everything related to fishing tackle. If you cannot find the sub-category for your topic, go ahead and post it in here!
Obz
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Fishing gloves

Post by Obz » Tue Jun 08, 2021 9:43 pm

My hands just get raw from musky fishing, my spool thumb gets the worst of it. Im guessing most of you guys who put in multiple days a week have had similar experience. Anyone know of a good pair of light weight fishing gloves that have thumbs? Or any alternative to gloves? I always just end up taping my thumb/forefinger but there has to be a better way.

Obz
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: Fishing gloves

Post by Obz » Tue Jun 08, 2021 9:45 pm

I think part of the problem is my 500 tranx throws a ton of water so my hands are wet and get chewed up faster than when I'm bass fishing.

Real
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Real » Wed Jun 09, 2021 3:07 am

I use regular fishing gloves for bass but prefer gloves that water skiers use for pike and musky. They have a palm that is padded and offer more protection.

Polkfish1
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Polkfish1 » Wed Jun 09, 2021 5:36 pm

Obz wrote:
Tue Jun 08, 2021 9:43 pm
My hands just get raw from musky fishing, my spool thumb gets the worst of it. Im guessing most of you guys who put in multiple days a week have had similar experience. Anyone know of a good pair of light weight fishing gloves that have thumbs? Or any alternative to gloves? I always just end up taping my thumb/forefinger but there has to be a better way.
I've been fishing with gloves for a while now for a variety of reasons, the biggest of which in recent years was terrible sunburn in FL. I get about a season out of them before they look like a raccoon attacked them no matter the brand--i've tried aftco, buff (both solar and heavier aqua). I fish nearly every day for at least a quick session. Most recently I'm using Fish Monkey guide gloves. They seem to have a tighter to the skin fit than the others I've tried. I found the others can affect line lay on the spool if I'm not paying attention so the line gets bunched up to one side. The fish monkeys don't seem to get in the way, the way I palm the reel. Comfort wise, they're all the same to me. Of course, I'd rather not wear anything, but I can't function with hands looking like raw ground chuck. I'd say the fish monkeys are worth a try for a light pair that otherwise protects hands.

Obz
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Obz » Thu Jun 10, 2021 8:59 am

Polkfish1 wrote:
Wed Jun 09, 2021 5:36 pm
Obz wrote:
Tue Jun 08, 2021 9:43 pm
I've been fishing with gloves for a while now for a variety of reasons, the biggest of which in recent years was terrible sunburn in FL. I get about a season out of them before they look like a raccoon attacked them no matter the brand--i've tried aftco, buff (both solar and heavier aqua). I fish nearly every day for at least a quick session. Most recently I'm using Fish Monkey guide gloves. They seem to have a tighter to the skin fit than the others I've tried. I found the others can affect line lay on the spool if I'm not paying attention so the line gets bunched up to one side. The fish monkeys don't seem to get in the way, the way I palm the reel. Comfort wise, they're all the same to me. Of course, I'd rather not wear anything, but I can't function with hands looking like raw ground chuck. I'd say the fish monkeys are worth a try for a light pair that otherwise protects hands.
Thanks Polk, those fish monkeys sound like they are worth a shot! I appreciate the feedback

toddmc
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by toddmc » Sun Jun 13, 2021 8:38 pm

Gloves are a very subjective thing. I prefer the Glacier Gloves. I've been wearing them since the beginning. They have changed the palm material a few times over the years. I've usually got about half a dozen pairs in my rotation at any one time. It is nice that they aren't too expensive. I don't care for any of the Simms or Columbia gloves that are thin or don't have full palm coverage. I like a full palm for protection on heavy fish days. I've never tried the Fish Monkey.