Idea/Invention

Anything and everything related to fishing tackle. If you cannot find the sub-category for your topic, go ahead and post it in here!
DirtyD64
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Idea/Invention

Post by DirtyD64 » Sun Jul 04, 2021 5:40 am

I just wanted to ask if anyone knows where I can present and idea to a company. I have tried: SPRO, Gamakatsu, Owner, Sampo, Zman, and a multitude of others. The best idea is a terminal tackle snap design, I cannot say too much or I will give it away, but I have not had much luck. I have to go off of human faith, I do not have the money for a patent, so I am relying on non-disclosure agreements and trust. If anyone knows anyone or knows the process better, any tips would be great. I had a provisional patent on an unrelated (non fishing) idea in high school, but it fizzled out and no company ever bought it. Thanks for any help or tips.

By the way if you see a snap for a certain finesse technique come out soon, chances are I thought of it and it got taken due to the fact that I did not better protect my intellectual property.

TravisNY
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: Idea/Invention

Post by TravisNY » Sun Jul 04, 2021 1:16 pm

The best I can offer is to forget “trust” real quick. I’ve got 4-5 things currently being sold that I never got a dime from (that’s on me). My wife warned me and she was right. The “business” is unfortunately ugly. I turned my back on “staffing” for anyone as a result with the last to go this past week. Nowadays I use the best equipment across the board for my uses that’s available and am blessed to be able to afford it.

I’ve never been happier than I am now with the “industry” and my forty plus years on the water isn’t getting profited from by anyone in an industry that R and D equates to replicate and duplicate.

Been there.

Sorry for the rant.

QED
Newbie Angler
Newbie Angler

Post by QED » Thu Sep 16, 2021 12:51 am

Most sophisticated companies won’t even look at unsolicited technology/product suggestions outside of their customer support teams. If you think your concept is economically viable, then file a patent on it. This isn’t legal advice but a very informed opinion.

smalliesteve
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by smalliesteve » Wed Mar 30, 2022 2:59 pm

Look at a Rick Clunn STX next to a Megabass 110. That's about how far you should trust a tackle manufacturer.
Everyone copies everyone regardless of IP/trademarks/patents. If I remember the story correctly, Megabass sued, won, and the STX was changed just enough to appease the court. Still basically an exact copy.

Edit: now go scroll through the jerkbaits page on TW or any other retailer. There's 6-10 other manufacturers that were either heavily influenced by the 110 or outright copied it like the STX.