Locking forceps vs Long reach wire cutters

Anything and everything related to fishing tackle. If you cannot find the sub-category for your topic, go ahead and post it in here!
Johnny A
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Locking forceps vs Long reach wire cutters

Post by Johnny A » Tue Jul 06, 2021 2:51 pm

It happens. Small fish. Deep hook. Happened last week with a finesse wide gap hook. 10”-12” bass starts swallowing the hook and I didn’t want to play with it too much.
I would have preferred to cut the hook or removed it.
Any preferences or suggestions?
Thanks!

cumara
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: Locking forceps vs Long reach wire cutters

Post by cumara » Wed Jul 07, 2021 7:30 am

It is good to have both forceps and cutters on hand. For say a drop shot hook that is in the gullet, use the technique of going under gill plate with forceps and slowly work the hook out and many times the fish is totally unharmed. There are some good youtube videos showing how to do this in detail. I would also suggest keeping some TH Marine G-Juice on hand, and it can help with clotting if applied directly to fish swiftly.

Johnny A
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Johnny A » Wed Jul 07, 2021 9:42 am

cumara wrote:
Wed Jul 07, 2021 7:30 am
It is good to have both forceps and cutters on hand. For say a drop shot hook that is in the gullet, use the technique of going under gill plate with forceps and slowly work the hook out and many times the fish is totally unharmed. There are some good youtube videos showing how to do this in detail. I would also suggest keeping some TH Marine G-Juice on hand, and it can help with clotting if applied directly to fish swiftly.
The hook was beyond the gill plate method. It was down the throat

cumara
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by cumara » Wed Jul 07, 2021 11:10 am

If it is fully swallowed, it would probably not be possible to cut any part of the hook either with wire cutters either. Some good quality cutters, short and long handle are still a must have for various situations. Harbor Freight sells 11" long reach diagonal cutters for $7.
Johnny A wrote:
Wed Jul 07, 2021 9:42 am

The hook was beyond the gill plate method. It was down the throat