Casting Setups

Anything and everything related to fishing tackle. If you cannot find the sub-category for your topic, go ahead and post it in here!
FamKench
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Casting Setups

Post by FamKench » Mon Aug 16, 2021 3:28 pm

I'm planning to maximize the efficiency of my setups. This is what I've come up with so far.

(Punch)
Tatula Elite Punch/Flip 8'0" Rod
Daiwa SV103xsl 7.9 Reel
Sufix 131 65lb Braid
(33.6" per turn)(13.2 lb drag)(7.8oz)

(Frog)
Tatula Elite Long Cast Frog 7'9" Rod
Daiwa Tatula CT TW 8.1 Reel
Sufix 131 50lb Braid
(34.5" per turn)(13.2 lb drag)(7.4oz)

(Sammy's, jerkbaits , Power Ned)
Tatula Elite Finesse 7'0" Rod
Daiwa Steez A TW 8.1 w/ZPI M spool Reel
J-Braid Grand 30lb Braid
(33.8" per turn)(13.2 lb drag)(6.7oz)

(Single belly hook swimbait, skipping)
Megabass P5 Super Destroyer 6'9" Rod
2021 JDM Daiwa Zilllion TW 7.1 Reel
J-Braid Grand 30lb Braid
(29.9" per turn)(11 lb drag)(6.2oz)

(Squarebill, cranking, topwater)
Megabass Destroyer Javelin 7'5" Rod
Daiwa Tatula 100 Reel
J-Braid Grand 30 lb Braid
(33.9" per turn)(11 lb drag)(6.9oz)

Any tips or reconfiguring you guys/gals can come up with? Perhaps some sort of main line change or change in material/poundage?

I have the Steez A on the Destroyer right now and it has been a fish catching machine. I don't think I've missed more than 2 bites with the 20+fish I've caught on it this season. Hoping to get a bit more distance and better skipping ability with the Zillion with SV and Boost paired with the Destroyer instead.

hoohoorjoo
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Re: Casting Setups

Post by hoohoorjoo » Mon Aug 16, 2021 5:50 pm

The 7-9 rod would be WAY too long for topwater, for me personally, anyway. I actually use a 6-6 custom Rainshadow RX7 SJ 781 casting with spiral-wrapped micros for smaller topwater and jerkbaits, and a Phenix Maxim 6-10mh for bigger topwaters.
Try not to let your mind wander. It is much too small to be outside unsupervised.

FamKench
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by FamKench » Mon Aug 16, 2021 6:58 pm

hoohoorjoo wrote:
Mon Aug 16, 2021 5:50 pm
The 7-9 rod would be WAY too long for topwater, for me personally, anyway. I actually use a 6-6 custom Rainshadow RX7 SJ 781 casting with spiral-wrapped micros for smaller topwater and jerkbaits, and a Phenix Maxim 6-10mh for bigger topwaters.
The 7'9" is Ish Monroe designed long cast frog rod. It is actually called Long Cast Frog.

I would love to add more rods to the arsenal but have spent way too much this year already lol.

hoohoorjoo
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by hoohoorjoo » Mon Aug 16, 2021 7:24 pm

FamKench wrote:
Mon Aug 16, 2021 6:58 pm
hoohoorjoo wrote:
Mon Aug 16, 2021 5:50 pm
The 7'9" is Ish Monroe designed long cast frog rod. It is actually called Long Cast Frog.

I would love to add more rods to the arsenal but have spent way too much this year already lol.
My bad, I mistyped. I was referring to the Javelin you listed for topwater. Still way too long for me for topwaters. One disclaimer- I have a torn labrum in my right shoulder, so all my rods are shorter and extremely lightweight.
Try not to let your mind wander. It is much too small to be outside unsupervised.

DirtyD64
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by DirtyD64 » Mon Aug 30, 2021 6:01 am

Haven't had any issues with your Steez A ticking have you? I am ready to get mine back, that being said, I hope it wasn't a serious issue, seems like you put yours through heavier duty work than mine.

FamKench
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by FamKench » Mon Aug 30, 2021 6:53 am

DirtyD64 wrote:
Mon Aug 30, 2021 6:01 am
Haven't had any issues with your Steez A ticking have you? I am ready to get mine back, that being said, I hope it wasn't a serious issue, seems like you put yours through heavier duty work than mine.
It's louder than it was when new, but under load with a lure it quiets back up. I do hear a tick every now and then. It may be just the nature of the aluminum gearing, or what happened to it in my next paragraph.

I bent the handle really bad a few years ago falling on it traversing big boulders. The reel pretty much froze up and I was thinking the worst. Replaced the handle with an aftermarket one and all was good. I'm sure something inside is a little tweaked from that fall though.

DirtyD64
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by DirtyD64 » Tue Aug 31, 2021 7:16 am

FamKench wrote:
Mon Aug 30, 2021 6:53 am
DirtyD64 wrote:
It's louder than it was when new, but under load with a lure it quiets back up. I do hear a tick every now and then. It may be just the nature of the aluminum gearing, or what happened to it in my next paragraph.

I bent the handle really bad a few years ago falling on it traversing big boulders. The reel pretty much froze up and I was thinking the worst. Replaced the handle with an aftermarket one and all was good. I'm sure something inside is a little tweaked from that fall though.
Interesting. Mine had a Zillion SV TW spool, and is used with 10Lb fluoro for finesse duty. My reel is very smooth and casts great, just has a distinct tick, almost like when reeling over a looped line on your spool. Only does this when actually casting and reeling a lure. In hand the reel feels perfect. I also noticed that the spool shaft is thicker on the stock Steez A spool, but this made no difference. I feel it could be the plastic insert through the pinion/zero adjuster or the levelwind in some way. I have talked on and on about it, just want to solve the issue so bad. Seems your reel has been put through the paces and still going pretty strong!

FamKench
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by FamKench » Tue Aug 31, 2021 12:55 pm

DirtyD64 wrote:
Tue Aug 31, 2021 7:16 am
FamKench wrote:
Mon Aug 30, 2021 6:53 am
DirtyD64 wrote:

Interesting. Mine had a Zillion SV TW spool, and is used with 10Lb fluoro for finesse duty. My reel is very smooth and casts great, just has a distinct tick, almost like when reeling over a looped line on your spool. Only does this when actually casting and reeling a lure. In hand the reel feels perfect. I also noticed that the spool shaft is thicker on the stock Steez A spool, but this made no difference. I feel it could be the plastic insert through the pinion/zero adjuster or the levelwind in some way. I have talked on and on about it, just want to solve the issue so bad. Seems your reel has been put through the paces and still going pretty strong!
I just got the new zillion sv with boost. They have a little spring in the new zillion spool that keeps the spool bearing pushed against the spool. Shimano calls it silent tune in their reels. I'm thinking adding a small spring there may help with the steez