What To Do With My Reels?

Anything and everything related to fishing tackle. If you cannot find the sub-category for your topic, go ahead and post it in here!
REW
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

What To Do With My Reels?

Post by REW » Thu Sep 02, 2021 9:46 pm

Loooong time since I've posted here...

I took a long break from fishing outside of small lakes and ponds. I've basically relied on the same two, or three combos, since everything was small water. I'm tired of my stuff collecting dust, so I want to start fishing larger waters from a boat. The problem is, I've been out of the loop long enough that I don't know how to best use the crap I've accumulated over the years - at least as far as reels go.

The reels I've accumulated are as such (all Shimano):
Mid-2000s Conquest 50
Mid-2000s Conquest 100
TranX301 (I've used it mostly for in-shore fishing, but figure it would work just fine for bass)
Curado 200E
Curado DC 151HG
Core50Mg7 with a Yumeya BFS spool

I have a few spinning reels, too, including the following:
Vanford 2500
Older-model Stradic 1000
Older 1500-size Quantum of some sort from around 2000

I have an assortment of rods, but could stand to update / upgrade a few of them, so I won't even bother to list them.

Anyhow, if you were to divide these reels up to cover the bases for LM bass (mostly), what roles would you assign to them, and what rods (length / weight / action) would you pair them up with? I figure at the two opposite ends of the spectrum, the TranX would be best for swimbaits, or fishing in slop, as it has the most power, while the Core would be best for weightless worms. The Vanford is mostly for skipping, since I still suck at skipping, while the Stradic is for the smallest of baits (minus flies). How would you designate the other reels?

I'm in the Midwest, so I'm generally not chasing monsters, but sometimes I venture south.

I appreciate any ideas!

Hobie-Wan Kenobi
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: What To Do With My Reels?

Post by Hobie-Wan Kenobi » Sat Sep 04, 2021 7:24 am

Although gear changes, the bass really don't. You got a decent setup of reels that can cover a wide base of fishing. I will be vague because I do not know how you fish.

Mid-2000s Conquest 50: small moving baits, small jigs. Other reels out there today that will cast better. The 50 does look nice though :D .

Mid-2000s Conquest 100: all around. Probably for jigs seeing how your other reels are more moving bait focused.

TranX301 (I've used it mostly for in-shore fishing, but figure it would work just fine for bass): Swimbaits

Curado 200E: deep/resistance cranks

Curado DC 151HG: spinnerbaits, buzzbaits, jigs

Core50Mg7 with a Yumeya BFS spool: wacky rigs, weightless plastics, Shakeyheads...
IG @hobie_wan_kenobi_fishing

DirtyD64
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: What To Do With My Reels?

Post by DirtyD64 » Sat Sep 04, 2021 9:23 am

For general bass fishing, I would suggest:

A medium casting rod, for plastics and most work under 1/2oz. Can also double for some cranking, some bladed jigs or spinnerbaits, topwater, etc.

A medium heavy casting rod, for lures 1/2 to around 1oz. Carolina rigs, bigger plastics deeper on heavier line, lighter flipping in moderate cover, mid sized swimbaits

A medium or medium light spinning rod. This serves as your finesse all purpose. Basically anything too light for the medium casting rod should be used on this rod. Ned rigs, dropshots, tiny cranks (shad rap style), and a multitude of other small lures work for this setup.

After this, begin specializing for what YOU want. I started with these 3, then bought a few stouter than the MH, but most were softer mediums and Medium light casting rods. I finesse fish mainly, so I began buying technique specific rods for what I did the most. So again, mainly depends on what you are chasing. Seems like you have the upper end prepared to be covered with the larger reels, just have to figure out the middle and lighter stuff.