Owner Hyper Wire Split Rings

Anything and everything related to fishing tackle. If you cannot find the sub-category for your topic, go ahead and post it in here!
triple_illusion
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Owner Hyper Wire Split Rings

Post by triple_illusion » Fri Sep 03, 2021 5:43 pm

Hey TT,

Has anyone ever noticed any Owner split rings where the two wires were not perfectly parallel to one another? I have gotten several packs in all sizes lately that have this issue. They appear to be slightly stretched out, as if they were applied to an eyescrew too big for them to fit, but they are brand new.

I sent in 4 packs of #4's to Owner over a month ago and have yet to receive replacement packs. I have purchased several more packs in the meantime and they all seem to have this issue to one degree or another; some not as bad as others. At this point, I don't know if I am being to critical or if this really is an issue?

-triple_illusion
FiSh_FoR_tHe_StArS

uljersey
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Re: Owner Hyper Wire Split Rings

Post by uljersey » Mon Sep 06, 2021 4:22 pm

I’d wager there’s only X amount of facilities on the globe with the specialized equipment needed to manufacture split rings. They probably make them for an infinite number of customers (Owner being one) and depending on the specific technical specifications of the end customer they come off the same machine. It’s probably a matter of worn dies or a machine out of calibration. It might be a manpower issue. Owner should at least acknowledge your issue given what they charge for their product. Pretty much every business on the planet is reeling from the mess we’ve been in for the better part of 2 years now …

reason162
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by reason162 » Mon Sep 06, 2021 4:54 pm

triple_illusion wrote:
Fri Sep 03, 2021 5:43 pm
Hey TT,

Has anyone ever noticed any Owner split rings where the two wires were not perfectly parallel to one another? I have gotten several packs in all sizes lately that have this issue. They appear to be slightly stretched out, as if they were applied to an eyescrew too big for them to fit, but they are brand new.

I sent in 4 packs of #4's to Owner over a month ago and have yet to receive replacement packs. I have purchased several more packs in the meantime and they all seem to have this issue to one degree or another; some not as bad as others. At this point, I don't know if I am being to critical or if this really is an issue?

-triple_illusion
I quit using owner hyperwires bc of their QC...some are as you described, gappy out of the pack - some become gappy after installing hooks etc.

Decoy split rings have been 100% perfect for me, over 2 dozen packs from size 00 to 4 and every single one perfect.

DirtyD64
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by DirtyD64 » Tue Sep 14, 2021 4:13 am

I hate to say this because Owner is probably still my most used brand, but they have a few issues...
Mainly I have worse hook rust from them than ANY other brand. I have had a Keitech or Senko on certain Owner hooks, removed the plastic, and a few days later found the hook in horrible shape. I tried to contact them about it and they very rudely blamed me. They offered no replacement and said "our hooks don't rust". I even went against myself and tried to be more careful... still got rust. I have gamakatsu, vmc, and mustad hooks that sit in my river box for YEARS with plastics still attached and no rust or barely any at all.
I have also noticed the split ring issue, on a set of #2s I bought from TW.
Last of all, because I still unconditionally love Owner hooks, I tried to send an invention in and they flat out said they do not work with outside sources... everyone is an "outside" source at one point before being hired in or joining a research team.
They still have me as a customer because they offer a few jigheads I need, but Owner for sure has issues.