Homogenization of tackle

Anything and everything related to fishing tackle. If you cannot find the sub-category for your topic, go ahead and post it in here!
Johnny A
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Homogenization of tackle

Post by Johnny A » Wed Sep 08, 2021 5:22 pm

You would figure with the amount of rod manufacturers and to a lesser degree reel manufacturers, professional and television anglers, nationally and internationally, there would be a wide spectrum of tackle choices. Maybe I’ve been living under a rock but does anybody else think there are actually FEWER choices in rod and reel choices?
40 years ago, there were probably 5 major reel manufacturers, another 5 lesser known. More rod choices but still much fewer than today. So, how do we still have flippin’ sticks with similar specs, crankin’ rods with similar specs, worm, spinnerbait, etc..
Why the stagnation?

Bronzeye
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Re: Homogenization of tackle

Post by Bronzeye » Wed Sep 08, 2021 7:12 pm

We can choose
baitcasters with ball bearings or newfangled synthetic bushings (13 Fishing) and varied spool widths, heights, and weights;
baitcasters with centrifugal, magnetic, spring-varied magnetic, or DC computer-controlled braking;
spinning reels with deep or shallow spools, thin or beveled spool lips, super-light composite or metal bodies;
rods with standard, micro, or in-between guide sizes with different frame height sequences; and
equipment manufactured overseas with different parameters than appeal to the mass markets here.

What would you like to see that you haven't found? If you state it here, perhaps a manufacturer will get on it.

Johnny A
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Johnny A » Thu Sep 09, 2021 2:33 am

Bronzeye wrote:
Wed Sep 08, 2021 7:12 pm
We can choose
baitcasters with ball bearings or newfangled synthetic bushings (13 Fishing) and varied spool widths, heights, and weights;
baitcasters with centrifugal, magnetic, spring-varied magnetic, or DC computer-controlled braking;
spinning reels with deep or shallow spools, thin or beveled spool lips, super-light composite or metal bodies;
rods with standard, micro, or in-between guide sizes with different frame height sequences; and
equipment manufactured overseas with different parameters than appeal to the mass markets here.

What would you like to see that you haven't found? If you state it here, perhaps a manufacturer will get on it.
I think what triggered my initial comment was more rod based, than reel based. I’m probably just as guilty with a dependence on 7’, med-heavy, regular tapered, glass crankin’ rods. Then I think about, a bit a little bit lighter, faster rod for casting baits like the OSP HPF Crank. That one has all the aerodynamics of a Pringle’s potato chip. How about a 6’2” or 6’3” rod for tight quarters or casting crankbaits under low cover?
Maybe I’m discovering the limitations between what I’m using and what I’d like to have available.

i_am_R2
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by i_am_R2 » Sat Sep 11, 2021 12:50 pm

Can always go JDM? They seem to have something for every scenario. In your example, the EG Impala sounds like what you might be looking for.

goldrod
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by goldrod » Sat Sep 11, 2021 4:50 pm

Johnny A wrote:
Wed Sep 08, 2021 5:22 pm
You would figure with the amount of rod manufacturers and to a lesser degree reel manufacturers, professional and television anglers, nationally and internationally, there would be a wide spectrum of tackle choices. Maybe I’ve been living under a rock but does anybody else think there are actually FEWER choices in rod and reel choices?
40 years ago, there were probably 5 major reel manufacturers, another 5 lesser known. More rod choices but still much fewer than today. So, how do we still have flippin’ sticks with similar specs, crankin’ rods with similar specs, worm, spinnerbait, etc..
Why the stagnation?
For by him were all things created, that are in heaven, and that are in earth, visible and invisible

goldrod
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by goldrod » Sat Sep 11, 2021 4:56 pm

Johnny A wrote:
Why the stagnation?

I don’t see anyone outside of Daiwa or Shimano for reels
That’s counting megabass as Daiwa but as far as rods
Custom rods is the only way to go imho but Daiwa and Shimano for USDM and JDM, loomis st croix is about the extent of my reach
For by him were all things created, that are in heaven, and that are in earth, visible and invisible

Johnny A
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Johnny A » Mon Sep 13, 2021 5:24 am

i_am_R2 wrote:
Sat Sep 11, 2021 12:50 pm
Can always go JDM? They seem to have something for every scenario. In your example, the EG Impala sounds like what you might be looking for.
I used a lot of JDM for a lot of years in NJ. Relocated to SC about 6 years back and it’s been narrowed down to a few models of Daiwa Elite Series sticks.

Ryan808
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Ryan808 » Sun Oct 09, 2022 8:20 am

I agree with the custom rod approach, your builder can taylor to your specific needs.

uljersey
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by uljersey » Wed Nov 30, 2022 8:29 am

Johnny A wrote:
Why the stagnation?

I think the opposite has taken place.

40 years ago, pre internet, tackle was purchased primarily two ways - retail outlets & mail order via catalog. Retail tackle stock choices were basically a corporate purchasing decision that rarely was rooted in local tastes/needs/wants unless it was a local mom n pop store. You got what you got and liked it. Mail order offered a bit more freedom of choice - many of us geezers remember scouring catalogs, filling out order forms longhand, figuring our own tax & shipping costs based on our total purchase and waiting weeks for the box to arrive only to find out one or more items were on back order. Bummer.

Fast forward to today, it’s a whole new universe. Virtually any type of rod or reel you could imagine is easily found via a quick search. Whether it’s available or not is another discussion altogether for another time. Enthusiasts, by nature, will dismiss the vast majority of what’s offered and hone in on what they like. The internet is the ultimate tackle shop that has the stuff you want and stuff you didn’t know even existed …. We often don’t realize how good we have it. I’m guilty myself of being pissed off when my package arrives a day or two late until I think back to how it used to be and put it in perspective.