The inurig

Anything and everything related to fishing tackle. If you cannot find the sub-category for your topic, go ahead and post it in here!
LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

The inurig

Post by LowRange » Sun Oct 17, 2021 7:58 pm

It's a weird one. It basically you glue chunks of a small plastic tube into a worm and thread you line through the worm and then use a split ring at the end of your line. As you twitch the worm and because it is the worm is free to slide on your line thanks to the tubes, the worm collapses into a Z shape on the twitch then straightens out at rest. The hook is not tied to your line but rather slides on it. It is the scrunching up of the worm and the split ring hitting the hook eye that drives the hook home. He also skips with an Enetsu in the video which is equally impressive.
https://youtu.be/iSSui-bhlQM

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: The inurig

Post by LowRange » Sun Oct 17, 2021 8:15 pm

I decided to give it a go to see how I liked it. I like the action in the video and imagined it would be great as a bait to fish over weedbeds in a fast twitching retrieve. I grabbed some of those skinny stir straws in the coffee area at the gas station and did a few long BPS worms I had. I also decided to use a 2nd hook as terminal tackle instead of a split ring. This adds a 2nd hook to the back of the worm and avoids having to insert and glue a 3rd tube into the worm. Looks like hell but it had the action in the video.

Its also crucial to NOT put the straws in a 90 degrees with the worm. If you do this the line has to turn 90 degrees and the worm can get locked into the bent shape at rest. I also noticed that the worm wants to back slide a bit. I can tweak this and make it a dock bait I can use to twitch away from a dock then let it glide back under.

In the hour of fishing I did I got a feel for the bait and a few bluegill hits on the bait. I fished it along side a weightless fluke as my go to for fishing the 2 or so feet of water over weedbeds. I found that the inurig is very difficult to cast for some reason even though it all scrunches up into a mass of worm on the cast. The retrieve can very obviously but I used a mix of a few twitches and a long slow sink in the frigid water. The action was amazing but I only got few bluegill to go after it. The one fish I got was on the fluke. Again I only had an hour and it was after a few cold fronts.

I think the rig has potential and want to use it next spring as an alternate dock fishing bait. Sometimes they just see too many wacky worms and stop biting. Having alternate baits to give them when they turn off to a certain bait they see a lot can turn the bite right back on.

Hogsticker2
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hogsticker2 » Sun Oct 17, 2021 8:46 pm

I just watched the YouTube video last night 👍

Bronzeye
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Bronzeye » Mon Oct 18, 2021 8:52 am

Intriguing! Seems worth a try.

It would be a slow technique best suited, I think, for prime locations or as a followup lure to missed strikes.

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LowRange » Mon Oct 18, 2021 10:25 am

Here are the 1st few I did with the gas station coffee straws. These were all wrong do to placing the straws in at 90 degrees relative to the worm body and had to be tossed. The angle is crucial to get allow the worm to spring back into a straight shape again as the worm slides on the line.

uljersey
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by uljersey » Mon Oct 25, 2021 8:12 am

Intriguing ? Yes. Practical ? No.

Think of the physics of it … you feel a tap and go to set the hook, which is not directly tied to the line. In order to get any tension on the hook in order to penetrate the fish’s jaw the worm must fully compress first. The energy of even the most “Thor Hell Hammer Hookset” will be absorbed by the worm and not directed at the hook eye where it needs to be. Try this one with your buddy - remove the hook or hooks from any bait (please do this :D ) and hold it firmly in your hand while your buddy walks with the rod a cast length. While you’re holding the bait, have him swing for the fence simulating a hookset. Betcha he won’t even come close to pulling the bait from your hand. Between the stretch of the line and the give of the rod it becomes more obvious that not much energy makes it to the bait and that’s with the bait tied direct.

For that reason I’m out.

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LowRange » Tue Oct 26, 2021 3:54 pm

uljersey wrote:
Mon Oct 25, 2021 8:12 am
Intriguing ? Yes. Practical ? No.

Think of the physics of it … you feel a tap and go to set the hook, which is not directly tied to the line. In order to get any tension on the hook in order to penetrate the fish’s jaw the worm must fully compress first. The energy of even the most “Thor Hell Hammer Hookset” will be absorbed by the worm and not directed at the hook eye where it needs to be. Try this one with your buddy - remove the hook or hooks from any bait (please do this :D ) and hold it firmly in your hand while your buddy walks with the rod a cast length. While you’re holding the bait, have him swing for the fence simulating a hookset. Betcha he won’t even come close to pulling the bait from your hand. Between the stretch of the line and the give of the rod it becomes more obvious that not much energy makes it to the bait and that’s with the bait tied direct.

For that reason I’m out.
Just use a 2nd hook instead of a split ring at the end. That's what I did.

Finnz922
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Finnz922 » Tue Oct 26, 2021 5:00 pm

So... a walleye 2 hook crawler harness?

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LowRange » Wed Oct 27, 2021 5:59 am

Finnz922 wrote:
Tue Oct 26, 2021 5:00 pm
So... a walleye 2 hook crawler harness?
That's the 1st thing I thought of too but those dont free slide on the main line. With this rig the worm and front hook slide on the line. This makes the rod twitches collapse the worm into an S shape then memory of the plastisol straightens the worm out at rest. I actually want to try the gulp crawlers I use on crawler harnesses and smiley blade rigs.

Another one I want to try again was a weird one I saw years and years ago as a kid on Hank Parker's show. He was taking Mr Twister orange straight tail worms and putting them on a hook bent so they would spin with a pegged sinker and swivel on from of the hook. I just remember Abu C4600s throwing these and watching them spin and bass attacking them. I fished something similar at night using a pegged 1/4 conical sinker and a snap swivel with a black pre rigged worm on it. The kind that comes folded into a rectangle in the package and opens up into a square U shape at rest. These would straighten out and spiral when pulled then fold up at rest. We used them to weed out the pike and stocker muskies attacking our spinnerbaits and chatter baits night fishing weed beds on mid summer West Okoboji lake

TravisNY
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by TravisNY » Wed Oct 27, 2021 6:39 pm

Hank was was most likely utilizing a Mann’s offering of that era.

Similar to the threading by Doug Hannon with the Burke series of the 80’s.

Bronzeye
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Bronzeye » Wed Oct 27, 2021 8:47 pm

TravisNY wrote:
Wed Oct 27, 2021 6:39 pm
Similar to the threading by Doug Hannon with the Burke series of the 80’s.
The first appearance of this rig that I saw in angling literature was in a Sports Afield article by Col. Dave Harbour that was published in the 1970s. Old-timers might recall that he began the article by describing his introduction to the rig on a southern lake with dirty shallows with water temp in the 80s. He expressed astonishment that bass were not only up shallow but able to locate and clobber this quiet lure. That rig was a 6" purple Creme Scoundrel threaded just past the eye of a 2/0 Eagle Claw kirbed bait hook trailing a swivel by about a foot (on nylon mono, of course).

I bought that rig's components and had sky-high expectations when I fished it for the first time. Didn't catch a thing, twisted my line badly, and shelved it after a couple more fruitless efforts with it. Decades later, when a buddy caught several bass on a tough day by slow-cranking one of the pre-rigged 3-hook bent worms, my interest was resurrected. Never landed a bass bigger than 3 lbs. on one, but I lost a lunker when the small hook pulled out.

Hannon used one hook in a bigger size (2/0?) in a slightly bigger worm and reportedly caught 10-pounders on his version.

TravisNY
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by TravisNY » Thu Oct 28, 2021 3:14 pm

Yes sir that’s absolutely correct. =D>

Safe to type that we’ve been in the game a while.

Drakestar
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Drakestar » Thu Oct 28, 2021 9:41 pm

I love how every YT channel is hailing it as “the next amazing Japanese rig!” and we’re finding out here that it was discussed 45+ years ago in US bass fishing literature already. It this was an amazing rig it would have caught on, I think. Not saying it won’t produce, but I doubt it’ll be amazing.

Bronzeye
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Bronzeye » Fri Oct 29, 2021 12:59 am

The rig that I described was a "swimming worm" similar to the one Doug Hannon used (see comment by TravisNY preceding my description of that rig). They were designed to spiral during the retrieve around the imaginary axis of the extended main line. That is a very different action than the "inchworm" underwater crawling action of the inu rig, which is a new thing. Sorry I didn't make that clear.

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LowRange » Fri Oct 29, 2021 8:19 am

Yep the inurig does not spiral. It scrunches up into an S shape when the bait is moving through the water and springs out straight at rest. You have to give it a series of twitches to bring it to life.