Which State would you choose?

Anything and everything related to fishing tackle. If you cannot find the sub-category for your topic, go ahead and post it in here!
ss30378
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Re: Which State would you choose?

Post by ss30378 » Wed Nov 10, 2021 8:32 am

I moved to northeast Alabama in 2012 and really like it here. I'm 10 minutes from Lake Guntersville which has the largemouth and stripers covered and the smaller rivers in the area have some surprisingly big smallies (6+ lbs). I'm originally from SE Michigan and lived there for 29 years fishing Lake St. Clair and some of the smaller lakes in the area for large and small mouths, pike, walleye and so on.

Pros down in AL:
-Cheap cost of living
-No hard water season
-Bass get pretty dang big down here so there's always that possible 10lb fish lurking around
-TN river system has a lot of great fisheries all tied together
-Small river fish stay aggressive all year so if the reservoir bite slows (mid summer) just go to the smaller streams and rivers and wade or kayak fish.

Cons:
-I do miss the abundant pike and walleye and trout from up north
-Summer humidity sucks but I'll take it over a long winter
-Guntersville has fishing pressure year round so launches are always busy

Hogsticker2
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hogsticker2 » Wed Nov 10, 2021 3:41 pm

ss30378 wrote:
Wed Nov 10, 2021 8:32 am
I moved to northeast Alabama in 2012 and really like it here. I'm 10 minutes from Lake Guntersville which has the largemouth and stripers covered and the smaller rivers in the area have some surprisingly big smallies (6+ lbs). I'm originally from SE Michigan and lived there for 29 years fishing Lake St. Clair and some of the smaller lakes in the area for large and small mouths, pike, walleye and so on.

Pros down in AL:
-Cheap cost of living
-No hard water season
-Bass get pretty dang big down here so there's always that possible 10lb fish lurking around
-TN river system has a lot of great fisheries all tied together
-Small river fish stay aggressive all year so if the reservoir bite slows (mid summer) just go to the smaller streams and rivers and wade or kayak fish.

Cons:
-I do miss the abundant pike and walleye and trout from up north
-Summer humidity sucks but I'll take it over a long winter
-Guntersville has fishing pressure year round so launches are always busy
At least you still have smallies. I'm not sure my mental health can handle moving away from them.

doomtrprz71
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by doomtrprz71 » Thu Jan 13, 2022 4:35 pm

hoohoorjoo wrote:
Thu Nov 04, 2021 7:24 pm
I'd stay right here in GA. My PB is 13-2 from a private lake less than 10 miles from me. I've also seen and attempted to catch a fish that was every bit of 15# in the same lake. I've caught 30+ fish over 8#. I really see no reason to go anywhere else. Plus, I'm close enough to Florida and Alabama that I fish there a couple times every year.
This....
I'm torn, I've considered looking at jobs in Florida just because saltwater fishing is my mistress now instead of bass fishing. It's hard to beat being less than 3 hours from Eufaula, Seminole, Sinclair, October, the big bend or the ga coast. Plus being 30mins from ocmulgee pfa or 45mins from Rutland farms is awesome too. Maybe I need to fish more around my in-laws in Oxford :mrgreen:

Hogsticker2
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hogsticker2 » Thu Jan 13, 2022 10:14 pm

Anyone here live somewhere in Southern North Carolina? How's the bass fishing?

hoohoorjoo
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by hoohoorjoo » Fri Jan 14, 2022 7:20 pm

Hogsticker2 wrote:
Thu Jan 13, 2022 10:14 pm
It is excellent, as it is in the entire Southeast. There are lowland reservoirs and deep, clear mountain lakes. Lot of great trout fishing within reasonable driving distance, too.
Try not to let your mind wander. It is much too small to be outside unsupervised.

hoohoorjoo
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by hoohoorjoo » Fri Jan 14, 2022 7:21 pm

doomtrprz71 wrote:
Thu Jan 13, 2022 4:35 pm
hoohoorjoo wrote:
Thu Nov 04, 2021 7:24 pm
I'd stay right here in GA. My PB is 13-2 from a private lake less than 10 miles from me. I've also seen and attempted to catch a fish that was every bit of 15# in the same lake. I've caught 30+ fish over 8#. I really see no reason to go anywhere else. Plus, I'm close enough to Florida and Alabama that I fish there a couple times every year.
This....
I'm torn, I've considered looking at jobs in Florida just because saltwater fishing is my mistress now instead of bass fishing. It's hard to beat being less than 3 hours from Eufaula, Seminole, Sinclair, October, the big bend or the ga coast. Plus being 30mins from ocmulgee pfa or 45mins from Rutland farms is awesome too. Maybe I need to fish more around my in-laws in Oxford :mrgreen:
Maybe so! :lol:
Try not to let your mind wander. It is much too small to be outside unsupervised.

Hogsticker2
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hogsticker2 » Sat Jan 15, 2022 5:59 pm

hoohoorjoo wrote:
Fri Jan 14, 2022 7:20 pm
Hogsticker2 wrote:
It is excellent, as it is in the entire Southeast. There are lowland reservoirs and deep, clear mountain lakes. Lot of great trout fishing within reasonable driving distance, too.
Did you previously live there?

hoohoorjoo
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by hoohoorjoo » Sat Jan 15, 2022 6:55 pm

Hogsticker2 wrote:
Sat Jan 15, 2022 5:59 pm
hoohoorjoo wrote:
Hogsticker2 wrote:
I have extended family and a lot of friends in both Bryson City and Maggie Valley.

Hogsticker2
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hogsticker2 » Sun Jan 16, 2022 3:09 pm

hoohoorjoo wrote:
Sat Jan 15, 2022 6:55 pm
Hogsticker2 wrote:
Sat Jan 15, 2022 5:59 pm
hoohoorjoo wrote:
Hogsticker2 wrote:
I have extended family and a lot of friends in both Bryson City and Maggie Valley.
Thanks Tim

munio3
Newbie Angler
Newbie Angler

Post by munio3 » Mon Jan 17, 2022 7:03 pm

Hogsticker2 wrote:
I'm here. Fishing is Superb let me know if you want to know anything, just drop me a pm. Marc

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Greetings Marc
https://minkafly.com/

njbasscat
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by njbasscat » Wed Jan 19, 2022 7:57 am

Central Maine is my favorite area to fish. There are lots of lakes to choose from and most have healthy populations of SMB and LMB. You also can fish for pike in the Belgrade region. Best of all, there is very little fishing pressure. It's not uncommon to be the only bass boat on the lake. There are some drawbacks though. The economy is tough and goods jobs can be hard to find. The winters are also brutal. My goal is to retire and spend May - Oct in Maine and Nov - Apr in Arizona.

Hogsticker2
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hogsticker2 » Wed Jan 19, 2022 2:50 pm

njbasscat wrote:
Wed Jan 19, 2022 7:57 am
Central Maine is my favorite area to fish. There are lots of lakes to choose from and most have healthy populations of SMB and LMB. You also can fish for pike in the Belgrade region. Best of all, there is very little fishing pressure. It's not uncommon to be the only bass boat on the lake. There are some drawbacks though. The economy is tough and goods jobs can be hard to find. The winters are also brutal. My goal is to retire and spend May - Oct in Maine and Nov - Apr in Arizona.
Nice. Sounds good except those brutal winters. That's what we're trying to escape.

Hogsticker2
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hogsticker2 » Wed Jan 19, 2022 2:53 pm

munio3 wrote:
Mon Jan 17, 2022 7:03 pm
Hogsticker2 wrote:
I'm here. Fishing is Superb let me know if you want to know anything, just drop me a pm. Marc

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Greetings Marc
https://minkafly.com/
Tried a PM. Says you don't exist. If you're still around, where is the best smallmouth action located, SW area? Also, what part of the State has the best year round climate, the SE area?

godshippy
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by godshippy » Tue Feb 15, 2022 9:57 am

I'm in the Bay Area like DrPerf, and I agree that we have some good fishing here...but it's expensive as heck to get out there. The cost of gas and launch fees will really get you. My buddy was just at Comanche and he paid $32 or $36 to launch his boat there...after driving 2 hours to get there (4 hours round trip)--that's a high price!

I feel like the Delta is really declining as well--if you look at tournament results over the last few months and go back a couple years the bags are small. I just saw someone win a Delta event with 5 pounds!

I really like the idea of Texas--my buddy move to the Houston area a few years ago and I had a chance to visit him last year and the number of creeks, river accesses, ponds, and the bay provides some awesome fishing opportunity. But like someone else had mentioned...there's a big crowd of people out there. I thought California lakes and the Delta were crowded...oh boy...Texas was even worse.

I think I'd want to move up to Washington. Smallies, steelies, and salmon baby!

Hogsticker2
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hogsticker2 » Tue Feb 15, 2022 2:32 pm

godshippy wrote:
Tue Feb 15, 2022 9:57 am
I'm in the Bay Area like DrPerf, and I agree that we have some good fishing here...but it's expensive as heck to get out there. The cost of gas and launch fees will really get you. My buddy was just at Comanche and he paid $32 or $36 to launch his boat there...after driving 2 hours to get there (4 hours round trip)--that's a high price!

I feel like the Delta is really declining as well--if you look at tournament results over the last few months and go back a couple years the bags are small. I just saw someone win a Delta event with 5 pounds!
I'm currently located in Eastern Washington. It's pretty great for freshwater fishing, around 3 hours to get to the salt. Numerous lakes in the region, plus I can get to Idaho in 45 minutes, where there are a bunch of additional lakes. Not far from Canada, with even more lakes, rivers, and reservoirs in between. And all of it is pretty premium for smallies, which is what I primarily target.
I really like the idea of Texas--my buddy move to the Houston area a few years ago and I had a chance to visit him last year and the number of creeks, river accesses, ponds, and the bay provides some awesome fishing opportunity. But like someone else had mentioned...there's a big crowd of people out there. I thought California lakes and the Delta were crowded...oh boy...Texas was even worse.

I think I'd want to move up to Washington. Smallies, steelies, and salmon baby!