Which State would you choose?

Anything and everything related to fishing tackle. If you cannot find the sub-category for your topic, go ahead and post it in here!
Gone Phishin
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: Which State would you choose?

Post by Gone Phishin » Tue Feb 15, 2022 7:47 pm

I'm happy with Wisconsin. 8-)

rando
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by rando » Thu Feb 17, 2022 5:47 am

Gone Phishin wrote:
Tue Feb 15, 2022 7:47 pm
I'm happy with Wisconsin. 8-)
Eventually I will be happy in Wisconsin as well. Definitely my favorite. I’m a river rat and I can’t think of any other place with so many mid size rivers and creeks and so much access to them as Wisconsin.

jvelth74
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by jvelth74 » Fri Feb 18, 2022 10:06 am

I have never been in US, but I thought a little, and maybe Alaska :lol: But maybe Alaska winters might be too much for me.

In my opinion winter is not bad if open water fishing can be done, like currently it's in Southern Finland:

Not English subs, but not much in Finnish either.

Certainly I would like to fish in a streams and creeks. (And I would appreciate sea fishing as well.) I quickly looked this search: https://www.in-fisherman.com/editorial/ ... ast/154362

Smith River looks like nice place. Kayak fishing in there sounds wonderful:

But as I looked more information, you have so many nice rivers and streams in the US :D Like this:

But obviously to best fishing places is long way as usual. Is there in a forum anybody who flies with Cessna to fishing? I have thought that owning a small plane is much more common in US than in Europe. In Finland flying license is ridiculously high priced and I don't personally know anybody who has flying license.
Ok, no fishing-pilots in here :) I asked because my buddy worked in US for ~2 years. Hi was working in basic engineering. Hi said that some of his US workmates owned planes and hi was flying with them. Which is basically not possible in here Finland, because in here flying license costs 30% of what most people houses costs. And AVGAS 100LL costs a fortune in here. And regular automotive gas is not cheap either.

Oktayne the Red
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Oktayne the Red » Tue May 17, 2022 5:02 am

Well, seems I've been going about it ALL wrong. Ive been looking at property value, schools, jobs, air quality in the hunt for a settle-down spot.

Silly me. :roll: :big grin:

I'm a saltwater guy, can't move away from the ocean. Wouldn't mind somewhere else though. SoFL might be lauded for it's fishery, but the truth is if you don't have a boat, it kinda sucks. After 52 years here, I'm ready for something different. Somewhere the heat and humidity don't want to kill you. For fun.

All of the picturesque "River Runs Through It" mountain fly fishing looks fun too. Colorado mountains might be worth leaving SoFL and the ocean. However, I'm willing to bet the picture of that I have in my head doesn't exist. At least for folks of my means.

Hogsticker2
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hogsticker2 » Tue May 17, 2022 2:55 pm

Oktayne the Red wrote:
Tue May 17, 2022 5:02 am
Well, seems I've been going about it ALL wrong. Ive been looking at property value, schools, jobs, air quality in the hunt for a settle-down spot.

I'm a saltwater guy, can't move away from the ocean. Wouldn't mind somewhere else though. SoFL might be lauded for it's fishery, but the truth is if you don't have a boat, it kinda sucks. After 52 years here, I'm ready for something different. Somewhere the heat and humidity don't want to kill you. For fun.

All of the picturesque "River Runs Through It" mountain fly fishing looks fun too. Colorado mountains might be worth leaving SoFL and the ocean. However, I'm willing to bet the picture of that I have in my head doesn't exist. At least for folks of my means.
Pacific Northwest maybe? So long as you don't mind rain.

Oktayne the Red
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Oktayne the Red » Thu May 19, 2022 2:40 am

Hogsticker2 wrote:
Tue May 17, 2022 2:55 pm
Oktayne the Red wrote:

That's definitely been on the radar. I think rain is OK. We have a friend who spent some time in Oregon. She says we'd love it with the exception of the paper mill smell.

Hogsticker2
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hogsticker2 » Thu May 19, 2022 2:22 pm

Oktayne the Red wrote:
Thu May 19, 2022 2:40 am
Hogsticker2 wrote:
Tue May 17, 2022 2:55 pm
Oktayne the Red wrote:

That's definitely been on the radar. I think rain is OK. We have a friend who spent some time in Oregon. She says we'd love it with the exception of the paper mill smell.
I've lived in Oregon (Portland area) and Eastern Washington my entire life. Oregon coast is beautiful, though often damp and windy. Eastern Washington offers excellent and abundant freshwater opportunities, but you would need to reside on the West side for the salt.

Always Faster
Newbie Angler
Newbie Angler

Post by Always Faster » Fri Jul 08, 2022 11:16 pm

I moved a couple months ago to Michigan from Indiana for the fishing. I'm completely happy and will never leave this state. It's got so many types of fish to choose from and camping and exploring. It's epic here

John2204
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by John2204 » Sat Jul 09, 2022 2:24 am

I would choose Northeast Florida, for the following reason: Rodman, St John’s River, Orange Lake, and all the small lakes in the Ocala National Forest, additionally, I would add the inshore fishing for Redfish from St Augustine to Jacksonville

BARRAMANIAC
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by BARRAMANIAC » Thu Jul 21, 2022 10:47 pm

The only State to be in is Queensland or Pissed(drunk). I choose Queensland.

clemsondds
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by clemsondds » Wed Sep 21, 2022 11:13 am

Would definitely have to be in the south for me...pretty happy with NC...but wouldn't mind moving to north Georgia area

Hogsticker2
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hogsticker2 » Wed Sep 21, 2022 2:21 pm

BARRAMANIAC wrote:
Thu Jul 21, 2022 10:47 pm
The only State to be in is Queensland or Pissed(drunk). I choose Queensland.
Haha 🤘

Hogsticker2
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hogsticker2 » Wed Sep 21, 2022 2:21 pm

Nice to see this thread still kicking

jvelth74
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by jvelth74 » Sun Dec 18, 2022 5:22 pm

Sorry for offtopic, in the beginning...And hoping that this Yle Areena (Finnish national TV) video can be seen also in North America, also with subtitles....
Kotimaata etsimässä.jpg
Kotimaata etsimässä.jpg (28.62 KiB) Viewed 4398 times
Needed to be clicked ’Katso’ and then ‘Subtitles’. So American-Finnish youngster decided to be Finnish and to go military, as Finnish people does: https://areena.yle.fi/1-682548 I liked a lot. I don't mean that nobody should be moving here or there, but this was a nice story in my opinion...

jlang95
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by jlang95 » Thu Jun 15, 2023 7:08 pm

Alabama for sure