Which State would you choose?

Anything and everything related to fishing tackle. If you cannot find the sub-category for your topic, go ahead and post it in here!
Hogsticker2
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Which State would you choose?

Post by Hogsticker2 » Thu Nov 04, 2021 6:06 pm

If you could relocate to any State in the Country, which one would you choose for fishing (primarily bass) purposes only? Please explain why. Would it be the State you're already located in? Any specific location within your chosen State?

hoohoorjoo
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Re: Which State would you choose?

Post by hoohoorjoo » Thu Nov 04, 2021 7:24 pm

I'd stay right here in GA. My PB is 13-2 from a private lake less than 10 miles from me. I've also seen and attempted to catch a fish that was every bit of 15# in the same lake. I've caught 30+ fish over 8#. I really see no reason to go anywhere else. Plus, I'm close enough to Florida and Alabama that I fish there a couple times every year.
Try not to let your mind wander. It is much too small to be outside unsupervised.

Finnz922
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Finnz922 » Thu Nov 04, 2021 7:38 pm

South Dakota. Smallies, largies, 'skies, eyes!

goldrod
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by goldrod » Thu Nov 04, 2021 9:51 pm

great question..
Im not sure.. i want to say texas but i have a friend who moved out there and the fish are big but the crowds are bigger..
For by him were all things created, that are in heaven, and that are in earth, visible and invisible

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LowRange » Fri Nov 05, 2021 8:47 am

Tough call. Either Minnesota or Missouri for largemouth and smallmouth. I loved fishing table rock and could spend the rest of my life on that lake but not sure what else is in the state that offers good fishing. Minnesota because there are so many lakes, ponds, rivers and so many bass to be caught. You could live pretty much anywhere in the state and find honey holes 30 min a way in every direction I would think.

tincanary
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by tincanary » Fri Nov 05, 2021 8:59 am

I wouldn't. This is the home of all freshwater fishing, and 5lb+ smallies are way more common than largemouth that size. Bass aside, we have it all here. Sturgeon, pike, muskie, walleye, perch, gills, crappies, trout, salmon. The only thing other states have to offer by comparison are much larger catfish and largemouth bass. A friend of mine specifically moved here because the fishing is so good, he's from Kentucky originally. I've had 100+ smallie days on Lake St Clair, you won't find a better smallmouth fishery anywhere.
Last edited by tincanary on Fri Nov 05, 2021 9:00 am, edited 1 time in total.

toddmc
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by toddmc » Fri Nov 05, 2021 9:00 am

Clear Lake and CA Delta are both consistently rated in the top 10 bass fisheries. Clear Lake was the top rated bass fishery of the last decade by Bassmaster Magazine. They are about 2.5 hours apart. I would locate on one of those if consistent year-round bass fishing was my purpose. The South has many more lakes per square mile than CA. I would locate somewhere there if my funds were more limited. The main issue is this country and the lakes in most areas are getting overcrowded. It might be wise to find a less traveled location.

Hogsticker2
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hogsticker2 » Fri Nov 05, 2021 6:20 pm

hoohoorjoo wrote:
Thu Nov 04, 2021 7:24 pm
I'd stay right here in GA. My PB is 13-2 from a private lake less than 10 miles from me. I've also seen and attempted to catch a fish that was every bit of 15# in the same lake. I've caught 30+ fish over 8#. I really see no reason to go anywhere else. Plus, I'm close enough to Florida and Alabama that I fish there a couple times every year.
Nice

Hogsticker2
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hogsticker2 » Fri Nov 05, 2021 6:21 pm

goldrod wrote:
Thu Nov 04, 2021 9:51 pm
great question..
Im not sure.. i want to say texas but i have a friend who moved out there and the fish are big but the crowds are bigger..
Yeah, I'm not down with combat fishing.

Hogsticker2
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hogsticker2 » Fri Nov 05, 2021 6:22 pm

LowRange wrote:
Fri Nov 05, 2021 8:47 am
Tough call. Either Minnesota or Missouri for largemouth and smallmouth. I loved fishing table rock and could spend the rest of my life on that lake but not sure what else is in the state that offers good fishing. Minnesota because there are so many lakes, ponds, rivers and so many bass to be caught. You could live pretty much anywhere in the state and find honey holes 30 min a way in every direction I would think.
I've always been keen on the idea of Minnesota. Strictly for fishing purposes.

Hogsticker2
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hogsticker2 » Fri Nov 05, 2021 6:26 pm

tincanary wrote:
Fri Nov 05, 2021 8:59 am
I wouldn't. This is the home of all freshwater fishing, and 5lb+ smallies are way more common than largemouth that size. Bass aside, we have it all here. Sturgeon, pike, muskie, walleye, perch, gills, crappies, trout, salmon. The only thing other states have to offer by comparison are much larger catfish and largemouth bass. A friend of mine specifically moved here because the fishing is so good, he's from Kentucky originally. I've had 100+ smallie days on Lake St Clair, you won't find a better smallmouth fishery anywhere.
Washington, correct? I'm located in Eastern Washington, and am very satisfied with the opportunities around me. Little bit of everything for sure. Several bodies of water, walleye, smallmouth, largies, all kinds of trout, salmon, steelhead, etc.
On a side note, is anyone here from North Carolina? What's the fishing scene like there?

Hobie-Wan Kenobi
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hobie-Wan Kenobi » Fri Nov 05, 2021 6:51 pm

Hogsticker2 wrote:
Fri Nov 05, 2021 6:26 pm
tincanary wrote:
Fri Nov 05, 2021 8:59 am
Washington, correct? I'm located in Eastern Washington, and am very satisfied with the opportunities around me. Little bit of everything for sure. Several bodies of water, walleye, smallmouth, largies, all kinds of trout, salmon, steelhead, etc.
On a side note, is anyone here from North Carolina? What's the fishing scene like there?
I think he is talking about Michigan. I am from the way northern part of Michigan and wouldn't change it. All those species plus an abundance of brook trout. So many lakes and rivers with tons of variety so close to me. I still like to travel to fish though.
IG @hobie_wan_kenobi_fishing

Bronzeye
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Bronzeye » Sat Nov 06, 2021 8:43 am

Hogsticker2 wrote:
Fri Nov 05, 2021 6:22 pm

I used to live there, and loved the variety of water types and species.

Some drawbacks to consider:
  • If you aren't an ice fisherman, the season is short. In central Minnesota, ice-out can be as late as the end of April, and you will need to winterize your motor by early November. This year's game fish season didn't open until May 15, so that gives one only about 6 months to fish for game fish from a motorized boat, and another month to pursue panfish and rough fish.
  • Al Lindner once said that one had a better chance of catching a three-pound bass in Minnesota than in any other state, while acknowledging that the odds for bigger bass drop compared to warmer states. For most Minnesota anglers, a 6-lb. bass would be a once-in-a-lifetime fish.
  • Aggressive pike offer variety and action, but they will bite off your expensive lures unless you use a bite leader, which decreases your chance of catching bass.
  • The winters--my god, the winters!
Last edited by Bronzeye on Sat Nov 06, 2021 8:46 am, edited 1 time in total.

Hobie-Wan Kenobi
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hobie-Wan Kenobi » Sat Nov 06, 2021 8:46 am

Bronzeye wrote:
Sat Nov 06, 2021 8:43 am
Hogsticker2 wrote:
Fri Nov 05, 2021 6:22 pm

I used to live there, and loved the variety of water types and species.

Some drawbacks to consider:
  • If you aren't an ice fisherman, the season is short. In central Minnesota, ice-out can be as late as the end of April, and you will need to winterize your motor by early November. This year's game fish season didn't open until May 15, so that gives one only about 6 months to fish for game fish from a motorized boat, and another month to pursue panfish and rough fish.
  • Al Lindner once said that one has a better chance of catching a three-pound bass in Minnesota than in any other state, while acknowledging that the odds for bigger bass drop compared to warmer states. For most Minnesota anglers, a 6-lb. bass would be a once-in-a-lifetime fish.
  • Aggressive pike offer variety and action, but they will bite off your expensive lures unless you use a bite leader, which decreases your chance of catching bass.
  • The winters--my god, the winters!
This sums up the Upper Peninsula of Michigan. Except the 3lb would be smallies. Those open water months are great though. Michigan also has year-round catch and release for bass.
IG @hobie_wan_kenobi_fishing

hoohoorjoo
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by hoohoorjoo » Sat Nov 06, 2021 8:52 am

This is why I dont want to live anywhere else. I didnt have my scales, but she is 23" long and 16" girth. The online calculator says 8.29#, but I figure she is just under 8#. Same custom spinnerbait I caught a 9-14 on in January of 2017, so it seems I need to have some more of these made.

Try not to let your mind wander. It is much too small to be outside unsupervised.