Which State would you choose?

Anything and everything related to fishing tackle. If you cannot find the sub-category for your topic, go ahead and post it in here!
tincanary
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: Which State would you choose?

Post by tincanary » Sat Nov 06, 2021 9:04 am

Bronzeye wrote:
Sat Nov 06, 2021 8:43 am
Hogsticker2 wrote:
Fri Nov 05, 2021 6:22 pm

I've always been keen on the idea of Minnesota. Strictly for fishing purposes.
I used to live there, and loved the variety of water types and species.

Some drawbacks to consider:
  • If you aren't an ice fisherman, the season is short. In central Minnesota, ice-out can be as late as the end of April, and you will need to winterize your motor by early November. This year's game fish season didn't open until May 15, so that gives one only about 6 months to fish for game fish from a motorized boat, and another month to pursue panfish and rough fish.
  • Al Lindner once said that one had a better chance of catching a three-pound bass in Minnesota than in any other state, while acknowledging that the odds for bigger bass drop compared to warmer states. For most Minnesota anglers, a 6-lb. bass would be a once-in-a-lifetime fish.
  • Aggressive pike offer variety and action, but they will bite off your expensive lures unless you use a bite leader, which decreases your chance of catching bass.
  • The winters--my god, the winters!
Where Hobie lives is considerably different compared to where I am in Metro Detroit. The more inland rivers down this way don't freeze over often, while the Detoit and St Clair Rivers will be ice flows. I'm usually fishing steelhead when everybody else is huddled in a shanty jigging for perch. I've caught countless 5lb+ smallies the last 30 years with many over 6lb and even a handful over 7lb. They get absolutely huge in Lake St Clair, Lake Erie, and Lake Huron as well as their connecting waterways, the St Clair River and Detroit River. In contrast, I've only caught but a few 5lb largemouth over that same time frame. Most of the largemouth here seem to be under 2lb. The best smallmouth fishing is the delta of the St Clair River where it connects to Lake St Clair, they are in there thick during May and June. I've even pulled some big 16" and 17" rock bass out of that area when fishing perch and gills. Those guys fight really hard, even harder than smallmouth of comparable size.

SteveSchmelzle
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by SteveSchmelzle » Sat Nov 06, 2021 10:04 am

I like catching Northern Large Mouth Bass.

6lbs+ or Bigger.

Smallies are a dime a dozen, literally, but big northern largies are special.

So any state where that would be possible would be best. (if there are such a thing). Otherwise, I guess I live in the right place for that.
1-2%

goldrod
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by goldrod » Sat Nov 06, 2021 12:41 pm

hoohoorjoo wrote:
Sat Nov 06, 2021 8:52 am
This is why I dont want to live anywhere else. I didnt have my scales, but she is 23" long and 16" girth. The online calculator says 8.29#, but I figure she is just under 8#. Same custom spinnerbait I caught a 9-14 on in January of 2017, so it seems I need to have some more of these made.

Great catch
Told the wife we need to visit you.
Hope there’s a mall nearby 😂

Oh and plus one for the pixy
For by him were all things created, that are in heaven, and that are in earth, visible and invisible

Hogsticker2
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hogsticker2 » Sat Nov 06, 2021 10:04 pm

Bronzeye wrote:
Hogsticker2 wrote:

• If you aren't an ice fisherman, the season is short. In central Minnesota, ice-out can be as late as the end of April, and you will need to winterize your motor by early November. This year's game fish season didn't open until May 15, so that gives one only about 6 months to fish for game fish from a motorized boat, and another month to pursue panfish and rough fish.
  • Al Lindner once said that one had a better chance of catching a three-pound bass in Minnesota than in any other state, while acknowledging that the odds for bigger bass drop compared to warmer states. For most Minnesota anglers, a 6-lb. bass would be a once-in-a-lifetime fish.
  • Aggressive pike offer variety and action, but they will bite off your expensive lures unless you use a bite leader, which decreases your chance of catching bass.
For sure!

Jeffbro999
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Jeffbro999 » Sun Nov 07, 2021 7:59 am

Very happy here in FL, especially this area. Excellent inshore and offshore fishing, excellent bass fishing, LA delta and Mobile Delta close by, easy drive into Alabama to fish some other awesome lakes. And most of all, no closed season and no snow. Fish all year for all kinds of things. Im literally surrounded by water, can be on the water in 10 minutes in all directions and have many different environments and species included. Life isnt all about bass.

DrPerf
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by DrPerf » Sun Nov 07, 2021 10:52 am

Lived in Michigan (West Michigan) growing up with some great fishing as a kid and teenager. A wide range of fish, including Coho and Chinook salmon, planted in the 1966. Lake Michigan was 20-30 bicycle ride away along with many ponds, small lakes, rivers, etc.

But after living in California (Bay area) since the 80s and fishing again starting in 2007, I have to say this location would be difficult to surpass.

Within a 15-minute drive from where I live, there is a series of great reservoirs (Calero, Chesbro, Uvas, Anderson and Coyote) one after another only a few miles apart. Each of those reservoirs holds up to double digit largemouths, in addition to panfish and catfish. Anderson has landlocked steelhead and Coyote likely has a few remaining trout from previous years of planting, which contributed to many of the DD largemouth. #2 personal best (8.2 lbs.) largemouth was from Anderson.

An hour and a half away is the California Delta, with all of the amazing fishing here. Largemouth, Stripers, and if you know where, there is some great smallmouth fishing. The Delta is so large and diverse, it is like fishing multiple bodies of water.

Two hours north in the wine country of Napa is Lake Berryessa with spots, largemouth, smallies, rainbow and brown trout, Chinook/Sockeye salmon and various panfish. #3 personal best (7.1 lbs.) was from Berryessa. Great fishing and beautiful location.

Another 30-45 minutes north is Clear Lake, which is one of the top bass fisheries in the country. Have had numerous 30/40/50 fish days there, culling 2 and 3 lb. bass because a 4 or greater was needed to add to the limit. Great catfish fishing if that is your “thing”. Have caught 10 and 12 lb. cats while tournament fishing. And crappie “slabs” are numerous. Personal best #1 (10.82) is from Clear Lake.

A quick “shout out” to the Motherlode lakes (Don Pedro, Pardee, Comanche, Tulloch, New Melones) all 2-3 hours away, also with great fishing. Tournament partner hooked up an 11.14 lb. largemouth from Comanche in May. And another club member got a 11.73 pre-fishing that tournament.

There are many other freshwater fisheries that are also great locations where I have fun or tournament fished, but the above is a good representation of NorCal fishing.

And there is the great saltwater fishing less than an hour away, if that “floats your boat”.

Oh yes, all the above that fishing is year-round :big grin:

Feeling very blessed and fortunate to have all of this available.

Regards,
Doc

Hogsticker2
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hogsticker2 » Sun Nov 07, 2021 3:21 pm

DrPerf wrote:
Sun Nov 07, 2021 10:52 am
Lived in Michigan (West Michigan) growing up with some great fishing as a kid and teenager. A wide range of fish, including Coho and Chinook salmon, planted in the 1966. Lake Michigan was 20-30 bicycle ride away along with many ponds, small lakes, rivers, etc.

But after living in California (Bay area) since the 80s and fishing again starting in 2007, I have to say this location would be difficult to surpass.

Within a 15-minute drive from where I live, there is a series of great reservoirs (Calero, Chesbro, Uvas, Anderson and Coyote) one after another only a few miles apart. Each of those reservoirs holds up to double digit largemouths, in addition to panfish and catfish. Anderson has landlocked steelhead and Coyote likely has a few remaining trout from previous years of planting, which contributed to many of the DD largemouth. #2 personal best (8.2 lbs.) largemouth was from Anderson.

An hour and a half away is the California Delta, with all of the amazing fishing here. Largemouth, Stripers, and if you know where, there is some great smallmouth fishing. The Delta is so large and diverse, it is like fishing multiple bodies of water.

Two hours north in the wine country of Napa is Lake Berryessa with spots, largemouth, smallies, rainbow and brown trout, Chinook/Sockeye salmon and various panfish. #3 personal best (7.1 lbs.) was from Berryessa. Great fishing and beautiful location.

Another 30-45 minutes north is Clear Lake, which is one of the top bass fisheries in the country. Have had numerous 30/40/50 fish days there, culling 2 and 3 lb. bass because a 4 or greater was needed to add to the limit. Great catfish fishing if that is your “thing”. Have caught 10 and 12 lb. cats while tournament fishing. And crappie “slabs” are numerous. Personal best #1 (10.82) is from Clear Lake.

A quick “shout out” to the Motherlode lakes (Don Pedro, Pardee, Comanche, Tulloch, New Melones) all 2-3 hours away, also with great fishing. Tournament partner hooked up an 11.14 lb. largemouth from Comanche in May. And another club member got a 11.73 pre-fishing that tournament.

There are many other freshwater fisheries that are also great locations where I have fun or tournament fished, but the above is a good representation of NorCal fishing.

And there is the great saltwater fishing less than an hour away, if that “floats your boat”.

Oh yes, all the above that fishing is year-round :big grin:

Feeling very blessed and fortunate to have all of this available.

Regards,
Doc
Yeah, I don't think California is an option. My wife wants me to consider moving to a State with a warmer, year round climate - Health issues (you know). We have some property in Southern Oregon, about 45 minutes North of the California border. Not exactly the climate she's looking for though. What are some of the best bass waters in Northern California? Preferably within two hours of the Oregon border?

Hogsticker2
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hogsticker2 » Sun Nov 07, 2021 3:24 pm

tincanary wrote:
Sat Nov 06, 2021 9:04 am
Bronzeye wrote:
Hogsticker2 wrote:

Where Hobie lives is considerably different compared to where I am in Metro Detroit. The more inland rivers down this way don't freeze over often, while the Detoit and St Clair Rivers will be ice flows. I'm usually fishing steelhead when everybody else is huddled in a shanty jigging for perch. I've caught countless 5lb+ smallies the last 30 years with many over 6lb and even a handful over 7lb. They get absolutely huge in Lake St Clair, Lake Erie, and Lake Huron as well as their connecting waterways, the St Clair River and Detroit River. In contrast, I've only caught but a few 5lb largemouth over that same time frame. Most of the largemouth here seem to be under 2lb. The best smallmouth fishing is the delta of the St Clair River where it connects to Lake St Clair, they are in there thick during May and June. I've even pulled some big 16" and 17" rock bass out of that area when fishing perch and gills. Those guys fight really hard, even harder than smallmouth of comparable size.
We have excellent smallmouth fishing in Eastern Washington as well. Good largies as well. Just an overall fantastic area for people who love to fish. I primarily target smallies, so if we decide to move South, it will be a bit of a bummer.

tincanary
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by tincanary » Sun Nov 07, 2021 7:11 pm

Hogsticker2 wrote:
Sun Nov 07, 2021 3:21 pm

Yeah, I don't think California is an option. My wife wants me to consider moving to a State with a warmer, year round climate - Health issues (you know). We have some property in Southern Oregon, about 45 minutes North of the California border. Not exactly the climate she's looking for though. What are some of the best bass waters in Northern California? Preferably within two hours of the Oregon border?
You know what may work? Tennessee. There's really good bass fishing, both large and smallmouth, and if you're in the eastern portion up in the mountains, really good trout fishing as well. It gets hot and humid in the summer, but winter is pretty tolerable considering your circumstances.

Hogsticker2
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hogsticker2 » Sun Nov 07, 2021 11:18 pm

tincanary wrote:
Sun Nov 07, 2021 7:11 pm
Hogsticker2 wrote:

You know what may work? Tennessee. There's really good bass fishing, both large and smallmouth, and if you're in the eastern portion up in the mountains, really good trout fishing as well. It gets hot and humid in the summer, but winter is pretty tolerable considering your circumstances.
Thanks for the tip! I'll do some fishing research. I know they have a good smallmouth population. As long as it's not too humid, to where it's intolerable.

DrPerf
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by DrPerf » Mon Nov 08, 2021 12:04 pm

Hogsticker2 wrote:
Clear Lake is typically as far north as I fish on a regular basis. But after glancing at the map, it would appear Shasta, Almanor and possibly Oroville would/might be within two hours or so of the Oregon border. I have fished Shasta and Oroville with good results. Just a bit of a "hike" from San Jose, with Clear Lake and Berryessa closer when heading north.

If California is not an option due to housing/cost of living prices, you might consider the Central/NorCal and Motherlode areas of California. Housing prices are not the Bay area prices and definitely a more sedate pace of living.

And there are many excellent bodies of water, in those areas, to fish that are worth the 2-2.5 hour drive, from the Bay area, for me/my club to fish regularly (Amador, Comanche, Pardee, New Hogan, New Melones, Tulloch, Don Pedro, McClure and more). From Amador (north) to McClure (south) is approximately 90 miles with all the other lakes/reservoirs I listed in between.

Many neat, smaller towns in that whole area and I have thought many times about moving to one of them. But I need to be relatively close to a major airport for my business even though I now "fish more, fly less" :big grin:

Headed to Tulloch on Thursday to pre-fish for my club's November two-day tournament. Tulloch is one of the few lakes/reservoirs, which I listed, that I have not fished before. So I am looking forward to it (largemouth and smallies along with brown and rainbow trout).

Hope this information helps and feel free to 'reach out' with any questions or for further information.

Regards,
Doc

Hogsticker2
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hogsticker2 » Tue Nov 09, 2021 2:28 pm

Does anyone here happen to reside in Southern Oregon?

KlingerNOK
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by KlingerNOK » Tue Nov 09, 2021 6:19 pm

Considering only the places I have been, It'd be hard to pick one.
Half the year in East Texas, half the year in Northern Michigan would be ideal.
I've only fished one lake in Tennessee, but it does look like a promising location as far as an abundance of options though.

BRONZEBACK32
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by BRONZEBACK32 » Tue Nov 09, 2021 6:48 pm

Montana.

Not known for bass but they are there...
Also some very nice rivers.

Hogsticker2
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hogsticker2 » Tue Nov 09, 2021 11:29 pm

KlingerNOK wrote:
Tue Nov 09, 2021 6:19 pm
Considering only the places I have been, It'd be hard to pick one.
Half the year in East Texas, half the year in Northern Michigan would be ideal.
I've only fished one lake in Tennessee, but it does look like a promising location as far as an abundance of options though.
That would be nice.