Sling pack for wading?

Anything and everything related to fishing tackle. If you cannot find the sub-category for your topic, go ahead and post it in here!
Mike son
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Sling pack for wading?

Post by Mike son » Thu Dec 16, 2021 7:23 am

I'd like to retire my old Abu Garcia sling that I've used as it's falling apart. Best thing about it was I could throw it over my left shoulder and it has an attachment to carry a spare rod. New bag will have the same requirements. I started looking at other Abu bags and found this one.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/265436975142?c ... a3927929fe

It looks nice and it would seem there are better options for these type of bags abroad than I have here in the US. I'm looking for other recommendations for slings that can carry a spare rod, preferably an ambidextrous bag or one made to go over the left shoulder.

Thunderblack1984
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: Sling pack for wading?

Post by Thunderblack1984 » Thu Dec 16, 2021 7:33 am

I have a older Orvis guide sling in digi camo and a smaller Simms headwater sling. Love them both. I use the larger Orvis one for SW wading (all day trips) and I use the Simms headwater one for fly fishing and half day hikes. I have owned several styles and brands. Some have annoying straps, are uncomfortable, or are too big or small. These ones have just been perfect for any style of fishing. I would say out of all my fishing gear these are some of my favorite items.
Philippians 4:6

Johnny A
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Johnny A » Thu Dec 16, 2021 8:42 am

I had an JDM Evergreen bag but it wasn’t a sling, it was like a waistbag. Anyway, quite a few of JDM manufacturers produce sling and waist bags. They also offer add-on accessories to hold additional rods.

TravisNY
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by TravisNY » Thu Dec 16, 2021 1:50 pm

Simms with a camelback.

And I wade for smallmouth more miles than I drive a year (or close).

If one needs an extra rod while doing so simply tuck the rods butt into the weak side (non casting side) of any belt to the rear.

Mike son
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Mike son » Thu Dec 16, 2021 2:08 pm

Thunderblack1984 wrote:
Thu Dec 16, 2021 7:33 am
I have a older Orvis guide sling in digi camo and a smaller Simms headwater sling. Love them both. I use the larger Orvis one for SW wading (all day trips) and I use the Simms headwater one for fly fishing and half day hikes. I have owned several styles and brands. Some have annoying straps, are uncomfortable, or are too big or small. These ones have just been perfect for any style of fishing. I would say out of all my fishing gear these are some of my favorite items.
Yep, I'm a big fan of slings, I use a simms tactical ambidextrous for my fly fishing. Just looking to replace my conventional one when wading smallies, the rod holder attachment is a huge necessity as I typically carry two combos.
Johnny A wrote:
Thu Dec 16, 2021 8:42 am
I had an JDM Evergreen bag but it wasn’t a sling, it was like a waistbag. Anyway, quite a few of JDM manufacturers produce sling and waist bags. They also offer add-on accessories to hold additional rods.
Can you share a link from a retailer with examples? I've looked at Digitaka, JLS, AFP. Some look decent, that abu one I linked is so far the best fit for me(spare rod holder).
TravisNY wrote:
Thu Dec 16, 2021 1:50 pm
Simms with a camelback.

And I wade for smallmouth more miles than I drive a year (or close).

If one needs an extra rod while doing so simply tuck the rods butt into the weak side (non casting side) of any belt to the rear.
Tried that with my net and didn't like it, probably wouldn't like it with a rod. Ended up with a mag release and hanging the net. Though, it makes me think maybe some sort of wading belt attachment for a spare rod would be a possibility.

Johnny A
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Johnny A » Thu Dec 16, 2021 5:20 pm

Johnny A wrote:
Thu Dec 16, 2021 8:42 am

Can you share a link from a retailer with examples? I've looked at Digitaka, JLS, AFP. Some look decent, that abu one I linked is so far the best fit for me(spare rod holder).
I’m only aware of the first 2 you mentioned. I remembered how long ago when I purchased my EG about 15 years ago, ball park.

Here’s a link to the rod holder:

https://www-o--s--p-net.translate.goog/ ... x_tr_hl=en

hope that helps

j