That feeling …

Anything and everything related to fishing tackle. If you cannot find the sub-category for your topic, go ahead and post it in here!
uljersey
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

That feeling …

Post by uljersey » Sat Jan 01, 2022 6:51 am

… you know the one I’m talking about. When your rod loads up with a quality fish on a moving bait. The fight is on, open water away from cover, drag functioning well, everything going to plan … Then …. Nothing. Unbuttoned. Poof. Gone like a fart in the wind. Not a breakoff, hooks were sharp, leader intact etc. Defies logic.

I had that yesterday. Stained water, I never saw it, it never jumped. Could have been a snakehead, but they usually jump. Might have been a big cat, they’re a possibility at this lake too. But my Spidey Senses keep nagging me it was a big fat bass based on the fight. I had found the shad, big football sized ones and that usually means the biggun’s are around. Was a cloudy cool winter day, bites were few and far between. Ended up with with two dinks at the end of the day, nature’s “Thanks for playing” consolation prize :lol: … I graciously accepted it and headed home.

I’ll be back out there tomorrow.

Hobie-Wan Kenobi
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: That feeling …

Post by Hobie-Wan Kenobi » Sat Jan 01, 2022 9:11 pm

The circular thoughts of "what did I do wrong???" Was it using braid instead of mono? Set the hook too hard? Drank 2% instead of whole milk???"

Ice fishing is bittersweet like that. You see the fish at the hole and it pops off...
IG @hobie_wan_kenobi_fishing

doomtrprz71
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by doomtrprz71 » Mon Jan 03, 2022 7:05 pm

You know, I never thought about it till this thread, maybe I've lost too many good fish because I'm just like it is what it is now :mrgreen:

njbasscat
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by njbasscat » Tue Jan 04, 2022 7:58 am

Had the same thing happen last year in a small lake in NJ. I was pitching a jig and felt that thump. The fish took off and ran about 100 yards. I could not turn its head and it stayed low. Then nothing. No way it was a bass. I'm thinking someone put channel cats in this lake.

Polkfish1
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Polkfish1 » Tue Jan 04, 2022 6:00 pm

uljersey wrote:
Sat Jan 01, 2022 6:51 am
… you know the one I’m talking about. When your rod loads up with a quality fish on a moving bait. The fight is on, open water away from cover, drag functioning well, everything going to plan … Then …. Nothing. Unbuttoned. Poof. Gone like a fart in the wind. Not a breakoff, hooks were sharp, leader intact etc. Defies logic.

I had that yesterday. Stained water, I never saw it, it never jumped. Could have been a snakehead, but they usually jump. Might have been a big cat, they’re a possibility at this lake too. But my Spidey Senses keep nagging me it was a big fat bass based on the fight. I had found the shad, big football sized ones and that usually means the biggun’s are around. Was a cloudy cool winter day, bites were few and far between. Ended up with with two dinks at the end of the day, nature’s “Thanks for playing” consolation prize :lol: … I graciously accepted it and headed home.

I’ll be back out there tomorrow.
So many times…It drives me nuts when I don’t get to see them. Those often get seared in memory. Imagination goes wild. In the salt, the possibilities are endless. Even in my local fresh waters, the guessing game can keep me awake. My wife has learned to sooth my mind by talking me into thinking it could have been a gator or big turtle instead of what I was targeting. Sometimes it works, but that spidey sense always has me knowing better and going back.

slipperybob
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by slipperybob » Wed Jan 05, 2022 7:24 am

That's why I get annoyed by them gars more than anything. They bite, they pull, they fight, then poof nothing. The worst ones are the one that bites, then jumps, then *snaps* the line, then poof no lure.
slip bobbing is the laziest way to fish