Do any hook coatings resist salt in soft plastics?

Anything and everything related to fishing tackle. If you cannot find the sub-category for your topic, go ahead and post it in here!
Bronzeye
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Do any hook coatings resist salt in soft plastics?

Post by Bronzeye » Thu Jan 20, 2022 9:04 pm

For bank fishing and wading fresh water, I prefer to pre-rig soft baits on hooks. I've learned through experience that bronzed jig hooks can be ruined if salt-containing soft plastic lures are left on them very long. I'm hoping black nickel and/or Teflon-coated hooks might resist rusting even with months of continuous contact. Chrome or gold plating might also protect hooks, but usually leaves a hook point needing sharpening, which then creates an entry point for salt corrosion; still, I'm hopeful that such plating can provide protection, too. What have you found?

godshippy
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Re: Do any hook coatings resist salt in soft plastics?

Post by godshippy » Mon Feb 07, 2022 11:09 am

I have this Plano 3700 box that just houses a bunch of lures that I've already used that I never got around to really putting away. Some of them have been sitting in there for 8+ years...eeshk.

A lot of these lures are Senkos, Roboworms, Sweet Beavers, KVD squarebills, etc. I've found the ones with Gamakatsu and Owner hooks don't have any rust on them. Even the jigs that have a Gamakatsu hook don't have any rust on them.

Bronzeye
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Bronzeye » Mon Feb 07, 2022 2:27 pm

Thank you for your reply!

To clarify: were the rust-free hooks you mention partly inside the soft plastic baits you mentioned, or just in the same box?

If they were inserted in the baits for years, did the Owner hooks have the black nickel finish (as the ones I own are), and were the Gamakatsu hooks bronzed?

godshippy
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by godshippy » Tue Feb 15, 2022 9:38 am

Sorry for the late reply--forgot about this thread.

None of them have the bronze finish. They're either silver, red, or blackish (Owner). They're all inserted into a plastic lure--mostly Senko, Roboworm, or RI Sweet Beaver.

The rust issue that I've found is with split rings or the metal loop on lures that split rings attach to...of course the crankbaits that have Owner Hyperwire split rings don't have rust on them.

Bronzeye
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Bronzeye » Tue Feb 15, 2022 9:59 am

Thanks again. Though most of my jig and worm hooks are bronzed, it's good to know these alternative finishes can offer protection from salt-infused soft plastics.