Few Thoughts on TackleWarehouse order/unboxing:

Anything and everything related to fishing tackle. If you cannot find the sub-category for your topic, go ahead and post it in here!
DirtyD64
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Few Thoughts on TackleWarehouse order/unboxing:

Post by DirtyD64 » Thu May 12, 2022 4:57 am

Just a few things I noticed about some random products anyone might be interested in:
First off, I went with the orange 16lb Sunline Super Natural, it isn't crazy bright when single, but very ORANGE when on the spool. I did cut about a yard off and test stretch and abrasion, it doesn't have the best abrasion resistance. Anyone knows me, I normally try to be optimistic on reviews, but you can tell this mono doesn't need to be ground through rocks or logs (luckily I got a heavier test and will be using for topwater).

I also ordered some 12lb Daiwa Hidden FC, this is what maybe me realize the mono does in fact have less abrasion resistance. I was confused at first because I bit the line off VERY easily, the Seaguar R18 LTD (JDM Tatsu) was impossible to bite. Either way I must have just bitten in the right way or hard, because testing this thin 12lb Daiwa fluorocarbon proved it to be very strong. I took about a yard and sawed back and forth on the edge of a 2x8 board for a good bit before it snapped. The 16lb Super Natural still wasn't horrible but snapped with less effort and oscillations than the thinner 12lb FC.

On to lures, I tried the new Gamakatsu Mini Underspins, they are listed as a #1 hook but are much bigger than that. I would call them a 2/0 for most sizes, they are WAY bigger than the supposed 1/0 Cool Baits underspins. Still a quality underspin, but the spring style bait keeper is odd because you have to rotate your small swimbait to secure it.

I tried the Hag's Tornado in a 6.5", have always loved the GrandeBass Mag Rattlesnakes but they were sold out. The Hag's 6'5" are a bit thinner profile, the GrandeBass is more of a magnum fat worm. I wish I had ordered the 8" Hag's also, they seem to be larger in diameter like the 6.5" GrandeBass is. Hag's "Storm Chaser" color is the same as GrandeBass's Trophy Hunter, half green pumpkin red flake half Junebug. GrandeBass lures feel a bit more oily, but the Hag's seem more durable. I definitely recommend Hag's Tornadoes in all sizes, great lures overall.

Also finally got to try the Owner Oversize Worm hooks, got both the 7/0 and 11/0 because of a sale +20% off. I wish I had bought 2 of the 11/0's, the 7/0's are about the same as other brands, not really extended much. The 11/0's however are monster hooks. They don't have that excessive gap like some swimbait hooks or other large EWG oversize hooks, but they are very long and have enough gap to fish worms and even possibly lures like an 8" Easy Shiner. These 11/0 hooks fit a 12" Ol Monster worm like a 3/0 or 4/0 fits a regular sized worm. Will post pics on request.

Got a few topwaters, bought a Duel Noi-Z Jr, seems like a decent wake bait, very well built. Some say they do run a little too deep if you don't slow your retrieve. Got one of the Rapala X-rap prop baits, Devil's Horse style baits seem to work well around here so I wanted a better quality one. Also tried one of the SPRO essential series poppers, hooks are sharp and listed as Gamakatsu's, but they are a slick grey hook rather than the regular black nickel Gamakatsu hooks that are feature on SPRO cranks. Still a good feeling lure for the price, was only $6 or so after discount.

Another lure I had never tried was the 7" Roboworm ST. When I first started dropshotting a few people told me the 4.5" and 6" ST were best, and then said use the FATS for shaky heads. I just overlooked the 7" ST and was satisfied with what I got. After a few years though I figured I should give them a shot, and I am very glad I did. The 7" ST is closer to a Robo FAT diameter with a thin tapered tail. There is a fatter section early on in the worm for burying a hook point too. I do see where this worm wouldn't be desirable for dropshotting, but for TX rigging, shaky heads, and even neko rigs, I will be purchasing more of these for sure. Luckily I got the new sealed bags, I had about 7 packs of old unopened Roboworms lose their color entirely. I contacted them though and they were friendly, just waiting now for a response.

A random terminal product I ordered was the Santone S3 8/0 swimbait hooks. They are normally like $6 for a 2 pack but with a sale and coupon I got them for $1.50 a 2 pack. These should be fun. They fit a 5.8" Keitech perfectly and I love fishing weedless style EWG heads on swimbaits. I really wish I had ordered about 5 more packs at that price. If they are still around by a Labor Day sale or I need another order, I will be grabbing a bunch. They also double as a great rigging option for big worms or creature baits.

I lost another EZE-Lap pen style sharpener, was fighting a wasp (red flying spring demon) and it fell from my pocket into the river. Went to order another sharpener but this time tried the Coast sharpener. Feels great, works the same, has the same retractable ability as other pen sharpeners, but this one is twisted like tightening a drill bit to secure the sharpening edge.

Lastly I always try to pick at least one more expensive lure or odd lure per order, this time I picked the smallest size Duo Alpha Spinbait 62. Grabbed my trusted Ghost M Shad color, but this little lure has some weight to it. These 62 size spinbaits are very small, much smaller than I expected. Should be a great lure, I will test it in the days coming. Just waiting for the river to fully clear up and lower down a bit, then the good summer fishing should start.

Hennessy
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: Few Thoughts on TackleWarehouse order/unboxing:

Post by Hennessy » Thu May 12, 2022 11:01 pm

DirtyD64 wrote:
Thu May 12, 2022 4:57 am
Just a few things I noticed about some random products anyone might be interested in:
First off, I went with the orange 16lb Sunline Super Natural, it isn't crazy bright when single, but very ORANGE when on the spool. I did cut about a yard off and test stretch and abrasion, it doesn't have the best abrasion resistance. Anyone knows me, I normally try to be optimistic on reviews, but you can tell this mono doesn't need to be ground through rocks or logs (luckily I got a heavier test and will be using for topwater).

ImageThose 7” ST robo worms have put a few dollars in my pockets, I don’t even use the other sizes

I also ordered some 12lb Daiwa Hidden FC, this is what maybe me realize the mono does in fact have less abrasion resistance. I was confused at first because I bit the line off VERY easily, the Seaguar R18 LTD (JDM Tatsu) was impossible to bite. Either way I must have just bitten in the right way or hard, because testing this thin 12lb Daiwa fluorocarbon proved it to be very strong. I took about a yard and sawed back and forth on the edge of a 2x8 board for a good bit before it snapped. The 16lb Super Natural still wasn't horrible but snapped with less effort and oscillations than the thinner 12lb FC.

On to lures, I tried the new Gamakatsu Mini Underspins, they are listed as a #1 hook but are much bigger than that. I would call them a 2/0 for most sizes, they are WAY bigger than the supposed 1/0 Cool Baits underspins. Still a quality underspin, but the spring style bait keeper is odd because you have to rotate your small swimbait to secure it.

I tried the Hag's Tornado in a 6.5", have always loved the GrandeBass Mag Rattlesnakes but they were sold out. The Hag's 6'5" are a bit thinner profile, the GrandeBass is more of a magnum fat worm. I wish I had ordered the 8" Hag's also, they seem to be larger in diameter like the 6.5" GrandeBass is. Hag's "Storm Chaser" color is the same as GrandeBass's Trophy Hunter, half green pumpkin red flake half Junebug. GrandeBass lures feel a bit more oily, but the Hag's seem more durable. I definitely recommend Hag's Tornadoes in all sizes, great lures overall.

Also finally got to try the Owner Oversize Worm hooks, got both the 7/0 and 11/0 because of a sale +20% off. I wish I had bought 2 of the 11/0's, the 7/0's are about the same as other brands, not really extended much. The 11/0's however are monster hooks. They don't have that excessive gap like some swimbait hooks or other large EWG oversize hooks, but they are very long and have enough gap to fish worms and even possibly lures like an 8" Easy Shiner. These 11/0 hooks fit a 12" Ol Monster worm like a 3/0 or 4/0 fits a regular sized worm. Will post pics on request.

Got a few topwaters, bought a Duel Noi-Z Jr, seems like a decent wake bait, very well built. Some say they do run a little too deep if you don't slow your retrieve. Got one of the Rapala X-rap prop baits, Devil's Horse style baits seem to work well around here so I wanted a better quality one. Also tried one of the SPRO essential series poppers, hooks are sharp and listed as Gamakatsu's, but they are a slick grey hook rather than the regular black nickel Gamakatsu hooks that are feature on SPRO cranks. Still a good feeling lure for the price, was only $6 or so after discount.

Another lure I had never tried was the 7" Roboworm ST. When I first started dropshotting a few people told me the 4.5" and 6" ST were best, and then said use the FATS for shaky heads. I just overlooked the 7" ST and was satisfied with what I got. After a few years though I figured I should give them a shot, and I am very glad I did. The 7" ST is closer to a Robo FAT diameter with a thin tapered tail. There is a fatter section early on in the worm for burying a hook point too. I do see where this worm wouldn't be desirable for dropshotting, but for TX rigging, shaky heads, and even neko rigs, I will be purchasing more of these for sure. Luckily I got the new sealed bags, I had about 7 packs of old unopened Roboworms lose their color entirely. I contacted them though and they were friendly, just waiting now for a response.

A random terminal product I ordered was the Santone S3 8/0 swimbait hooks. They are normally like $6 for a 2 pack but with a sale and coupon I got them for $1.50 a 2 pack. These should be fun. They fit a 5.8" Keitech perfectly and I love fishing weedless style EWG heads on swimbaits. I really wish I had ordered about 5 more packs at that price. If they are still around by a Labor Day sale or I need another order, I will be grabbing a bunch. They also double as a great rigging option for big worms or creature baits.

I lost another EZE-Lap pen style sharpener, was fighting a wasp (red flying spring demon) and it fell from my pocket into the river. Went to order another sharpener but this time tried the Coast sharpener. Feels great, works the same, has the same retractable ability as other pen sharpeners, but this one is twisted like tightening a drill bit to secure the sharpening edge.

Lastly I always try to pick at least one more expensive lure or odd lure per order, this time I picked the smallest size Duo Alpha Spinbait 62. Grabbed my trusted Ghost M Shad color, but this little lure has some weight to it. These 62 size spinbaits are very small, much smaller than I expected. Should be a great lure, I will test it in the days coming. Just waiting for the river to fully clear up and lower down a bit, then the good summer fishing should start.

DirtyD64
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by DirtyD64 » Fri May 13, 2022 5:09 pm

Yeah I am going to for sure be buying more of these. I had an issue with a few packs of Roboworms. Still waiting to hear back. Was just color leaving them. The 7"s will be a prime shaky head lure for me.

godshippy
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by godshippy » Tue May 31, 2022 1:21 pm

DirtyD64 wrote:
Fri May 13, 2022 5:09 pm
Yeah I am going to for sure be buying more of these. I had an issue with a few packs of Roboworms. Still waiting to hear back. Was just color leaving them. The 7"s will be a prime shaky head lure for me.
Let us know what they say, or what we should do about them. I have quite a few unopened packs that are just gray now because they lost all their color. I have other packs that are 12 years old that still held their color just fine!

DirtyD64
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by DirtyD64 » Wed Jun 01, 2022 4:43 am

godshippy wrote:
Tue May 31, 2022 1:21 pm
DirtyD64 wrote:
Fri May 13, 2022 5:09 pm
Let us know what they say, or what we should do about them. I have quite a few unopened packs that are just gray now because they lost all their color. I have other packs that are 12 years old that still held their color just fine!
I'm in contact now again with them. I thought they brushed me off but it seems I emailed .CON instead of .COM, maybe now they will answer. I had around 7 packs that got grey/clear.

The ones in the newer package were supposed to be Margarita Mutilator. No idea how this happened because I have the same or similar colors in the old stapled only packs and they held color fine. Again, no downing of Roboworm here, awesome lures I will continue to buy forever, but just shining light on an oddity...

goldrod
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by goldrod » Wed Jun 01, 2022 6:22 pm

Duel Noi-Z Jr,

Please let us know your thoughts on it.
For by him were all things created, that are in heaven, and that are in earth, visible and invisible

DirtyD64
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by DirtyD64 » Wed Jun 15, 2022 4:07 am

Update: Mark at Roboworm hooked me up nice. Just a freak issue. Not sure what caused it, maybe they were smashed or something odd. All good now, great customer service and very friendly people at a wonderful company. Thank you again Roboworm for replacing my discolored worms!