Bad tackle thread (what to avoid)

Anything and everything related to fishing tackle. If you cannot find the sub-category for your topic, go ahead and post it in here!
Jeffbro999
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: Bad tackle thread (what to avoid)

Post by Jeffbro999 » Wed Jan 18, 2023 9:38 am

DarkShadow wrote:
Wed Jan 18, 2023 9:25 am

2nd was a 1/4 ounce Jackall Break Blade. Again, GREAT bait. Super sharp Owner hook, and it contributed to my 3 largest fish of the year. BUT, at this place? The fish opened up the nose time and time again. I'd reel in a blade and nothing else. It happened 3 times during that period in March when fishing was insane. I think I might have my buddy weld the eyelet shut. Who knows.
Easy fix. Use a small piece of heat shrink to hold the wire shut. I use the 3/8 and 1/2oz Break Blades as my number 1 redfish chatter, and this was a problem, once. Never been an issue since with the heat shrink. Not destroying and bending out the hook has been the bigger issue, but it’s rare as well. This one caught a bunch of big fish, and payed the price.

DarkShadow
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by DarkShadow » Wed Jan 18, 2023 1:43 pm

Jeffbro999 wrote:
Wed Jan 18, 2023 9:38 am

Easy fix. Use a small piece of heat shrink to hold the wire shut. I use the 3/8 and 1/2oz Break Blades as my number 1 redfish chatter, and this was a problem, once.

I can only imagine the feeling of a Red hitting one of these.

The bass I was catching were a bit more energized than the bass that I'm used to, but man did they smack the crap outta that bait.

Is that a Reaction innovation trailer?

If so, I had to resort to using these because the fancy Keitechs that i was using were decimated after 3 or 4 fish. Those RIs? Lasted all day.

Dalleinf
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Dalleinf » Thu Jan 19, 2023 4:18 am

I have been avoiding fishing items with adjectives in the name (deluxe/platinum/pro) and instead sought things with difficult to pronounce names (daiwa zillion sv tw).
http://www.tackletour.net/viewtopic.php?f=45&t=82739

However, I note that Huddleston makes a "Deluxe" swimbait, so I may be wrong...

DirtyD64
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by DirtyD64 » Thu Jan 19, 2023 7:20 am

Dalleinf wrote:
Thu Jan 19, 2023 4:18 am
I have been avoiding fishing items with adjectives in the name (deluxe/platinum/pro) and instead sought things with difficult to pronounce names (daiwa zillion sv tw).
http://www.tackletour.net/viewtopic.php?f=45&t=82739

However, I note that Huddleston makes a "Deluxe" swimbait, so I may be wrong...
Daiwa's naming and numbers got wild for a bit. SS/SV103, SV103, SV105, then you have Tatulas now with the same numbers. Makes it hard to search for say an SV103XS. You search that and you get a bunch of Tatulas or newer reels with the same number system.

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LowRange » Thu Jan 19, 2023 10:25 am

I'll have to keep an eye out on my Break Blades. I run a soft rod with 14# flouro and a softer drag setting and have not had issues yet. I think a lot of the JDM stuff can't take the abuse US anglers put the baits through. Everyone I know uses heavier flouro and locks down their drags fishing. The Japanese would look at them like they are insane.

DarkShadow
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by DarkShadow » Fri Jan 20, 2023 10:15 am

LowRange wrote:
Thu Jan 19, 2023 10:25 am
I'll have to keep an eye out on my Break Blades. I run a soft rod with 14# flouro and a softer drag setting and have not had issues yet. I think a lot of the JDM stuff can't take the abuse US anglers put the baits through. Everyone I know uses heavier flouro and locks down their drags fishing. The Japanese would look at them like they are insane.
Yeah, those Break Blades took some abuse. During the height of the bite, I was throwing 14# Shooter and had my drag clamped down, mostly because if you gave these fish any room, they'd wrap you in trees. And when you're fishing from shore, you don't have the luxury to be able to motor over and work your way out. That month was expensive considering how many of those baits I lost in the trees, or one of the lakes monster cats would eat it and I'd get smoked. Great bait still.

DirtyD64
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by DirtyD64 » Fri Apr 28, 2023 10:48 am

Been looking to order a bunch of Jackhammers from JDM site, but they temporarily stopped carrying them. I know the Break Blades got a mention in this thread for an issue, but overall are they that bad? I ask cause my website still has them.

DarkShadow
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by DarkShadow » Fri Apr 28, 2023 11:59 am

DirtyD64 wrote:
Fri Apr 28, 2023 10:48 am
Been looking to order a bunch of Jackhammers from JDM site, but they temporarily stopped carrying them. I know the Break Blades got a mention in this thread for an issue, but overall are they that bad? I ask cause my website still has them.
FWIW, I only used the 3/16th ounce versions. It could be the eyelet is thinner on that model than the heavier ones.

AND, quite a few fish were caught before the issue occurred. During the same period, the fish broke 3 OSPs High Pitchers as well.

I think the fact that we were horsing these 3 to 5 pounders in with a clamped down drag didn't help situations either.

I love the bait and I'll continue to order it, and if I ever get into that type of situation, I'll weld shut the few that I'll take.

hoohoorjoo
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by hoohoorjoo » Sat Apr 29, 2023 6:28 pm

DarkShadow wrote:
Fri Apr 28, 2023 11:59 am
DirtyD64 wrote:
FWIW, I only used the 3/16th ounce versions. It could be the eyelet is thinner on that model than the heavier ones.

AND, quite a few fish were caught before the issue occurred. During the same period, the fish broke 3 OSPs High Pitchers as well.

I think the fact that we were horsing these 3 to 5 pounders in with a clamped down drag didn't help situations either.

I love the bait and I'll continue to order it, and if I ever get into that type of situation, I'll weld shut the few that I'll take.
A dab of superglue and a little bit of baking soda will close up that gap, assuming you mean that the eye opens and allows the blade to slip off the bait.
Try not to let your mind wander. It is much too small to be outside unsupervised.

DirtyD64
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by DirtyD64 » Sat Apr 29, 2023 6:36 pm

hoohoorjoo wrote:
Sat Apr 29, 2023 6:28 pm
DarkShadow wrote:
DirtyD64 wrote:

A dab of superglue and a little bit of baking soda will close up that gap, assuming you mean that the eye opens and allows the knot to slip off the bait.
I think they were talking about where the blade attaches to the head. There is a small gap and the blade can potentially slip through. Really bummed about the Jackhammers being pulled from JDM-US sales, scared of what they will stop next. Sad that for a couple extra dollars they hurt enthusiasts who barely make them a tiny bit richer.

hoohoorjoo
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by hoohoorjoo » Sat Apr 29, 2023 7:16 pm

DirtyD64 wrote:
Sat Apr 29, 2023 6:36 pm
hoohoorjoo wrote:
DarkShadow wrote:
DirtyD64 wrote:

A dab of superglue and a little bit of baking soda will close up that gap, assuming you mean that the eye opens and allows the knot to slip off the bait.
I think they were talking about where the blade attaches to the head. There is a small gap and the blade can potentially slip through. Really bummed about the Jackhammers being pulled from JDM-US sales, scared of what they will stop next. Sad that for a couple extra dollars they hurt enthusiasts who barely make them a tiny bit richer.
Same deal. Superglue and baking soda create a chemical reaction and it dries as hard as glass. It can be filed and even tapped and threaded to hold a bolt, if need be. A buddy uses this concoction to repair graphite drone propellers.
Try not to let your mind wander. It is much too small to be outside unsupervised.

uljersey
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by uljersey » Sun Apr 30, 2023 5:52 am

hoohoorjoo wrote:
Sat Apr 29, 2023 7:16 pm
DirtyD64 wrote:
Sat Apr 29, 2023 6:36 pm
hoohoorjoo wrote:
DarkShadow wrote:
DirtyD64 wrote:

Same deal. Superglue and baking soda create a chemical reaction and it dries as hard as glass. It can be filed and even tapped and threaded to hold a bolt, if need be. A buddy uses this concoction to repair graphite drone propellers.
The super glue/baking soda thing is no joke … I used it to repair a broken bill on one of my cranks. The bait still runs true, has been banged through cover and takes the same level of abuse as when new.

80BB58D7-84F3-48BA-ACB7-0B6FDBA658F4.jpeg
80BB58D7-84F3-48BA-ACB7-0B6FDBA658F4.jpeg (94.37 KiB) Viewed 4231 times
7B0DD746-6FFD-4F0E-83C1-E07E4BE23008.jpeg
7B0DD746-6FFD-4F0E-83C1-E07E4BE23008.jpeg (83.45 KiB) Viewed 4231 times
CBFFC0FA-48E9-4BE9-8934-F2E32066A220.jpeg
CBFFC0FA-48E9-4BE9-8934-F2E32066A220.jpeg (72.7 KiB) Viewed 4231 times
C66A3D2D-B7CE-4F6D-8CFE-42F9BD16D9C9.jpeg
C66A3D2D-B7CE-4F6D-8CFE-42F9BD16D9C9.jpeg (133.32 KiB) Viewed 4231 times
CBF9BE71-31C2-4633-9B30-B71F77CED22E.jpeg
CBF9BE71-31C2-4633-9B30-B71F77CED22E.jpeg (91.55 KiB) Viewed 4231 times

Jeffbro999
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Jeffbro999 » Sun Apr 30, 2023 8:15 am

hoohoorjoo wrote:

Yep they are junk, please don’t buy them ;)
Super glue and baking soda will not hold up long. There’s to much flex, and the blade acts like a lever and it will break the bond. This leverage is what causes the blade to pop off in the first place. I use it a lot in lure making, just not for this. Heat shrink tubing works perfectly and is very easy to install. Remove blade, add heat shrink, install blade, shrink the tubing, go fishing.

uljersey
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by uljersey » Sun Apr 30, 2023 9:40 am

If you’re feeling really adventurous, those little butane torches will get a hook hot enough to solder the eye joint shut. Practice on junk hooks first to get the feel & technique down.

RMCatchNrelease
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by RMCatchNrelease » Wed May 03, 2023 4:44 am

Avid frog fisherman...the Jackal Gavacho.

People will say it is a great bait. I won't deny it gets bit often. The bait has a.great.action to walk and pop.

BUT...the hook design is garbage. It has the worst hookup ratio of any frog I have ever tried. The hooks are oddly shaped, angled, and to "weedless".

It is a shame because I absolutely love the action and castability.