If you know, you know

Anything and everything related to fishing tackle. If you cannot find the sub-category for your topic, go ahead and post it in here!
LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

If you know, you know

Post by LowRange » Mon May 16, 2022 8:46 pm

About this thing. For those that know, what are similar baits? I have been crushing big females on this thing. It has this beautiful swimming action then turns on its side and flounders on the pause with a super slow sink. I'd be happy to find something that can match that swimming action in a weedless format.

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: If you know, you know

Post by LowRange » Tue May 17, 2022 6:27 am

I found the Japanese bait these are based on and they are actually a better value but sold out. Looks like one the USDM copy caught on then the Japanese baits also sold out. I just spend over $100 last night on these. 4 of the big ones, 6 of the middle ones (pictured size) and 8 of the baby ones. I need to find a short shank ewg hook to keep the bend in the meaty portion if the bait. If you thread it past that into the thin portion with the nubs the baits tear up and maybe last one fish. 1st fish I caught on it was a 6# female when I was pitching it out and seeing how fast I could turn the handle and where the bait is in relation to the surface. Just combed the area with my bread and butter flick shake dock skipping presentation then started playing with this gill bait to prepare for night fishing when the fish came up and gulped it a few inches from the surface on the pause. Made a few jumps and I saw the bait split in two and go flying in different directions. Luckily I had 2 more in the pack at home 5 min away and was 100ft from the ramp so I scuttled the yak and ran back to get the other two. Destroyed the 2nd bait after a few fish when it tore on the thin part. With this 3rd and last bait I ran the eyelet way out in front of the nose to keep the bend in the meaty portion and out of the thin plastic. This one lasted 4 fish before I called it quits for the night. Still has some life left in it. Even if the nose pulls out I can probably use a screwlock or get creative with a stir straw and make a line through out of it.

goldrod
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by goldrod » Tue May 17, 2022 2:26 pm

I can’t really see it in the picture
I’ll need you to mail it to me so I can get a better look at what I don’t know
For by him were all things created, that are in heaven, and that are in earth, visible and invisible

DirtyD64
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by DirtyD64 » Tue May 17, 2022 2:39 pm

I didn't realize these were that great, I mean in theory they would be awesome, should have tried the Berkley version on my last TW order.

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LowRange » Tue May 17, 2022 7:33 pm

goldrod wrote:
Tue May 17, 2022 2:26 pm
I can’t really see it in the picture
I’ll need you to mail it to me so I can get a better look at what I don’t know
It's a bluegill soft plastic that is meant to be side rigged like the Geecrack but swims upright like like that Gantarel Jr when pulled through the water and then turns on its side when paused. It's not a boot tail. It swims like a multi segment swimbait. Amazing bait. 2021 product that guys around the country are throwing and quietly realizing it catches fish and buying out the stock. I bought the last pack of the only color my local BPS has. I have been paying more than double retail for what realistic patterns remain on ebay.

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LowRange » Fri May 20, 2022 7:09 pm

Homemade line though with a removable drop shot chin wight. Stuffed rolled up bubble wrap in the head void to get it to float. Raided the gas station stir straws again too. :lol:

Drakestar
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Drakestar » Tue May 24, 2022 11:04 am

Had never imported the original Javalon, but I bought a couple of the Gilly knockoff based on this thread. I think I'm a believer! Was frogging in a grassy area, tied on the 110-sized afterwards and got bit on the third cast I've ever made with that bait. Fun to fish, too! Feels like I can fish a Gantarel Jr but in the weeds.

I think my main concerns with the bait is durability, I ripped open the nose rather quickly (on a backlash). I glued it shut with Mend-It but it re-ripped unexpectedly quickly. Any tips on hooks to use for the 110 size Gillies? I found a 4/0 twistlock hook I can use for the 130s, but I haven't discovered a smaller twistlook hook that fits the 110 so I'm using a EWG worm hook.

Drakestar
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Drakestar » Tue May 24, 2022 5:02 pm

Drakestar wrote:
Tue May 24, 2022 11:04 am
I think my main concerns with the bait is durability, I ripped open the nose rather quickly (on a backlash). I glued it shut with Mend-It but it re-ripped unexpectedly quickly. Any tips on hooks to use for the 110 size Gillies? I found a 4/0 twistlock hook I can use for the 130s, but I haven't discovered a smaller twistlook hook that fits the 110 so I'm using a EWG worm hook.
Never mind, went to Outdoor Pro Shop/Monster Tackle today and found some regular Owner 2/0 Twistlocks that work. Thought the gap wouldn't be wide enough, but they look like they'll work.

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LowRange » Tue May 24, 2022 9:16 pm

Drakestar wrote:
Tue May 24, 2022 5:02 pm
Drakestar wrote:
Never mind, went to Outdoor Pro Shop/Monster Tackle today and found some regular Owner 2/0 Twistlocks that work. Thought the gap wouldn't be wide enough, but they look like they'll work.
Yeah twist lock hooks are key with these. On the 90 use stand alone twist locks to screw them into the nose as far as you can then thread a weedless wacky or flick shake jig head as a nose hook. The smaller the bait the more they want to stay near the surface and the slower they sink. The 130 is a breeze to keep deep and work weedlines. The 110 sinks so slow it is hard to get it to be anything but a sub 2 foot bait but that's fine and it's killer near the surface anyways. I have the 130s in HD. They swim a little less nice than the 110 but that could be because the HD patterns might be more stiff? Not sure. The Chibi Gantarel, Gilly 110 and 5.1 bellows gill knock offs have been my big girl baits for this spring.

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LowRange » Thu May 26, 2022 8:30 pm

110 is my favorite. It swims beautifully and likes to stay near the surface and makes a pretty inoffensive splash on entry compared to a Gantarel Jr. I was slow rolling an HD Waremouth 110 in the shallows night fishing and got a bunch on double taps on it that i ignored thinking they were small bass playing with it. I killed the bait on one of these hits near a courtesy dock and let the bait fall on its side. Picked it up and it was heavy. Set the hook on a 4 pounder and then did the exact same thing the next cast on a similar size fish. I had seen these fish run out from under this dock when it gets walked on during the day and has skipped baits to them but they always drop them before I can stick any of them. Slow rolling the Gilly got them both when they were out roaming around at night. These is becoming a favorite of mine.

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LowRange » Thu Jun 09, 2022 9:14 pm

I have perfected the infinite Gilly. This one has seen over a dozen fish.

Do not thread the hook through the thin portion. It will split the bait in two after the 1st fish

Do use a screw lock hook

Open the clip on the screwlock to let the hook eye slide out to encourage the bait to slide up the line and for the screwlock to not get ripped out. You would think the lock staying clipped to the hook eye would help the bait but it just yanks out the lock and destroys the nose. With this much hook sticking out the bait never slides off the hook and is lost. It always slides up the hook and towards the line.

Last edited by LowRange on Fri Jun 10, 2022 5:46 am, edited 1 time in total.

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LowRange » Thu Jun 09, 2022 9:42 pm

Drakestar wrote:
Tue May 24, 2022 5:02 pm
Drakestar wrote:
I'm using a 4/0 or a 3/0 at the smallest with the 110. You just have to put up with having that hook eyelet way out in front of the bait with a screw lock.

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LowRange » Sun Jun 12, 2022 2:58 pm

A new tidbit. I switched to a 3/0 screw lock hook and now the 110 will slow death spiral on the fall. I got bit doing this today. With the 4/0 on the 110 it will just fold in half and fall vertically. The 3/0 gets a slow death spiral with a slight glide.

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LowRange » Sat Jun 25, 2022 6:28 pm

This is what you want. The bait will come unlocked from the hook but the lock will remain in the bait. It will destroy the nose otherwise.

goldrod
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by goldrod » Sat Jun 25, 2022 6:50 pm

Good stuff
Very good stuff
For by him were all things created, that are in heaven, and that are in earth, visible and invisible