Topwater in floating grass

Anything and everything related to fishing tackle. If you cannot find the sub-category for your topic, go ahead and post it in here!
zelmo
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Topwater in floating grass

Post by zelmo » Mon Jun 06, 2022 7:44 pm

Starting about now the river I fish has a lot of grass floating downstream on the surface. This will last until the fall.

There are times when I would really like to use topwater lures but they constantly get fouled. Sammys and Whopper Ploppers don’t work as the grass ruins their action.

Any suggestions on what might work? Torpedoes or buzzbaits? Something else?

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: Topwater in floating grass

Post by LowRange » Mon Jun 06, 2022 8:05 pm

zelmo wrote:
Mon Jun 06, 2022 7:44 pm
Starting about now the river I fish has a lot of grass floating downstream on the surface. This will last until the fall.

There are times when I would really like to use topwater lures but they constantly get fouled. Sammys and Whopper Ploppers don’t work as the grass ruins their action.

Any suggestions on what might work? Torpedoes or buzzbaits? Something else?
Deadfin Darter. Skip to the 4.8 "in the case of the big field" portion of the video. They work it over floating grass as a topwater.
viewtopic.php?f=51&t=88070
Last edited by LowRange on Mon Jun 06, 2022 9:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

toddmc
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by toddmc » Mon Jun 06, 2022 8:55 pm

You will most likely have to fish braid with toads, flukes, and other single hook plastics.

zelmo
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by zelmo » Tue Jun 07, 2022 4:29 am

Thanks. I hadn't thought about toads as I usually use them in grass mats for LM. I should put that rod on the boat for these river SM. As a matter of fact I remember seeing a video of Scott Martin using a toad as a trailer on a buzzbait. I may try that also.

The Deadfin Darter looks interesting. The next time I am placing an order I will try them. The video did give me an idea. I have accumulated many soft plastics over the years that I don't use (and frankly have forgotten that I have.) I should pull some of those out and see what I have that can be worked like a weightless fluke topwater. The fluke itself isn't a bad idea either.

MCROUT14
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by MCROUT14 » Tue Jun 07, 2022 7:51 am

Frog!

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LowRange » Tue Jun 07, 2022 8:24 am

zelmo wrote:
Tue Jun 07, 2022 4:29 am
Thanks. I hadn't thought about toads as I usually use them in grass mats for LM. I should put that rod on the boat for these river SM. As a matter of fact I remember seeing a video of Scott Martin using a toad as a trailer on a buzzbait. I may try that also.

The Deadfin Darter looks interesting. The next time I am placing an order I will try them. The video did give me an idea. I have accumulated many soft plastics over the years that I don't use (and frankly have forgotten that I have.) I should pull some of those out and see what I have that can be worked like a weightless fluke topwater. The fluke itself isn't a bad idea either.
Weightless Caffine Shads are also good when worked fast on top. They have a slow fall and glide with a tail wiggle too. Your local Walmart probably has them.