How do the top Combos of yesteryear compare to what is available today?

Anything and everything related to fishing tackle. If you cannot find the sub-category for your topic, go ahead and post it in here!
russ57
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

How do the top Combos of yesteryear compare to what is available today?

Post by russ57 » Tue Jul 12, 2022 10:41 pm

Say we go back to like the late 2000s. How would the top of the line combos from back then compare to what we have today?

For reels, I mean like the Core and Older steez variants.

For rods, I am talking pre-NRX. So whatever high-end loomis or megabass sticks you guys had back then, or still have now.

Would an older Core or Steez be more comparable to a Curado MGL from today, or the current metanium/steez?

Johnny A
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: How do the top Combos of yesteryear compare to what is available today?

Post by Johnny A » Wed Jul 13, 2022 6:29 am

russ57 wrote:
Tue Jul 12, 2022 10:41 pm
Say we go back to like the late 2000s. How would the top of the line combos from back then compare to what we have today?

For rods, I am talking pre-NRX. So whatever high-end loomis or megabass sticks you guys had back then, or still have now.

Would an older Core or Steez be more comparable to a Curado MGL from today, or the current metanium/steez?
I’ll put it to you this way, do you think Fred Flintstone would prefer a Ferrari over a Flintmobile?

Johnny A
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Johnny A » Wed Jul 13, 2022 6:30 am

Johnny A wrote:
Wed Jul 13, 2022 6:29 am
russ57 wrote:
Tue Jul 12, 2022 10:41 pm

I’ll put it to you this way, do you think Fred Flintstone would prefer a Ferrari over a Flintmobile?
#YabbaDabbaYeah

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LowRange » Wed Jul 13, 2022 12:08 pm

I think an old destroyer or similar high end period rod and a TD-Z, 1st gen Steez, Alphas, Pixy or TD Zillions with associated period aftermarket spools can go toe to toe with the modern stuff. Most of my stuff is that old. If you count 2011 then you have the Z2020 and Ryoga 1016 to add to the pile.

My TD Zillion HLC IP68 is still my longest casting frog reel.

My Airy Red spool Pixys were great BFS reels for 1/8-3/8 oz total weight. The KTF Alphas is basically the poster reel for what a BFS reel was supposed to be. Now it's morphed into BFS reels being trout reels but it used to be throwing small jigs to bass on lighter flouro and L BFS rods.

I love my Super Destruction for big baits a little over 3 oz. There are bigger bait sticks but that one is a good big trebble stick and has the slant bridge and added benefit of the telescopic blank and spiral wrap guides. Just a nice touch.

I fish a few combos from that early 2000s period and like them alot. An old TD-S with an R+ spool on a BPS cranking stick and a TD-X on a destroyer flipping stick Fast Shooting Model. I like the concept of the flipping frame reels even if they are a bit weird. Its cool that they made a reel that can have clutch control when palmed to free spool whenever you want and can lift up the lever with your thumb when flipping. That old TD-S with 103 R+ spool is an incredible caster. Casts far and effortless with 1/4 to 3/8 oz cranks where my more modern SV spools seems choked off with the same baits. My old Steez with and old ZPI spool is a pretty good caster and very consistent. Its on a modern rod but I would prefer it on a older rod. It would at least have a proper trigger instead of that awful nub some of the modern MB sticks have.

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LowRange » Wed Jul 13, 2022 12:25 pm

I'm not sure if a 2011 reel makes the cut but nothing modern is quite like this. I do a lot of kayak big bait work for whatever reason and really like how it can colapse down into a shorter rod when stowed and the Magforce 3D. I can fire off a long cast on Long Cast mode with a weight transfer Big M or turn it up to Max Brake and lob a Gantarel at the shore with ease and accuracy thanks to the slant bridge handle tucking out of the way of my forearms.

Oktayne the Red
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Oktayne the Red » Wed Aug 03, 2022 5:00 am

(Man, I hope humor is understood/accepted around here-)

Early 2000s?? YESTERYEAR??? What are you, like, THREE? Excuse me, let me get my stone and chisel so I can answer you. Just waiting for my "dial-up"...

OK, humorous Dr. Evil reaction aside, I do understand the question, but I got nothing. The stuff I'm using is all from that era anyway, and mostly saltwater-centric. Newest (only, I think) low profile reel I got is a Chronarch SF something-or-other from around 2001-2002 (?). My #1 is a Calcutta TE 200GT (same era). I've used some of a friend's newer stuff, a Tatula baitcaster and Ballistic spinner, but nothing high-end like Steez or anything like that.

I bet my "Yesteryear's Tackle" would hold up pretty well.

(Oops, guess I went back to the humor there. Maybe. :big grin: )

Stump jumper
Newbie Angler
Newbie Angler

Post by Stump jumper » Mon Nov 14, 2022 10:09 am

My “yesteryear” was the 80’s (at least when I could afford whatever I wanted), and the answer to the question is: Nothing. Nothing from back then compares to anything today.

Hogsticker2
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hogsticker2 » Mon Nov 14, 2022 1:07 pm

In short - There are a lot of older rods and reels that out perform today's offerings, and vice versa. Definitely not black and white, and it strictly depends on what we're comparing and what the intended usage is.

Hobie-Wan Kenobi
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hobie-Wan Kenobi » Wed Nov 16, 2022 9:51 am

I am still rocking a Steez Fle-x-Lite 7' Medium for one of my moving bait rods. I think it came out in 2008. It has beat out every other rod I have tried for my all around moving bait rod. This rod does topwater, jerkbaits, spinnerbaits, buzzbaits...anything that moves.

The power and taper are incredible. The rod is also pretty light still for today's standard, especially for a moving bait rod.
IG @hobie_wan_kenobi_fishing

Fishing4Fun
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Fishing4Fun » Tue Nov 22, 2022 9:47 am

A lot of things made during the golden era of JDM tackle still blow away a lot of today’s cheapened crap.

slipperybob
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by slipperybob » Wed Dec 14, 2022 10:06 am

I was using spinning gear and before that my good old Zebco 33 classic. :mrgreen:

Still have those Ugly Sticks. Still have those old style Cabela's XML spinning rods. St. Croix spinning rods old ones still performs great.
slip bobbing is the laziest way to fish

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LowRange » Wed Dec 14, 2022 2:50 pm

Hobie-Wan Kenobi wrote:
Wed Nov 16, 2022 9:51 am
I am still rocking a Steez Fle-x-Lite 7' Medium for one of my moving bait rods. I think it came out in 2008. It has beat out every other rod I have tried for my all around moving bait rod. This rod does topwater, jerkbaits, spinnerbaits, buzzbaits...anything that moves.

The power and taper are incredible. The rod is also pretty light still for today's standard, especially for a moving bait rod.
Tell me more. What do you use for line? Reel? Old Steez rods are pretty affordable these days and I don't like how soulless the modern ones are. I'm keeping my eye out for old stand out Steez rod models.

Hobie-Wan Kenobi
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hobie-Wan Kenobi » Wed Dec 14, 2022 8:12 pm

LowRange wrote:
Wed Dec 14, 2022 2:50 pm
Hobie-Wan Kenobi wrote:
Wed Nov 16, 2022 9:51 am

Tell me more. What do you use for line? Reel? Old Steez rods are pretty affordable these days and I don't like how soulless the modern ones are. I'm keeping my eye out for old stand out Steez rod models.
I run an Alphas SV TW with 10lb fluorocarbon right now. It has had many reels over the years. I ran braid for a while too. I love that rod
IG @hobie_wan_kenobi_fishing

montey
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by montey » Fri Dec 30, 2022 7:34 am

I run a few 09 Cores and Aldebaran MG7 reels on old IMX MBR rods. I feel like they compare well with current gear, but have a different vibe.
I wonder how my 150 Metanium's and Zillions G will feel after 20 years?

John G
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by John G » Thu Jan 26, 2023 9:55 pm

The other day, I was thinking about how much I would love to have me dual Curado 50E's with gold Avail ALD0928 Microcast Spools and Loomis BCR802 GLX's. Put some 10LB Sniper on them and they would be sweet combos for Zoom Finesse Worms and 5/32oz Keitech Finesse Jigs.