Adding some color to a Slider Swimmer 175

Anything and everything related to fishing tackle. If you cannot find the sub-category for your topic, go ahead and post it in here!
SSS
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Adding some color to a Slider Swimmer 175

Post by SSS » Thu Jul 14, 2022 8:57 am

I got this OG slider swimmer 175 for $7! The action is perfect, and yesterday, i cought a couple of smallies on it, so even in this condition, its catching them fine. But what i'd like to know is; is there a way to add some color to it? I don't want an expensive custom paint job, just add color like you'd dip the tip of a craw bait, etc. What are the paints/colorants that can be used on these?
Last edited by SSS on Thu Dec 01, 2022 1:25 am, edited 1 time in total.

Gone Phishin
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: Adding some color to a Slider Swimmer 175

Post by Gone Phishin » Thu Jul 14, 2022 11:38 am

Sharpies?

SSS
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by SSS » Thu Jul 14, 2022 3:17 pm

Gone Phishin wrote:
Thu Jul 14, 2022 11:38 am
Sharpies?
Thought of this, but won't the sharpie colors transfter into other rubber baits if put in the same tackle box? I am thinking of simply covering the whole bait in white and then maybe a clearcoat with silver or glold flakes in it. Not looking for any complex paterns, just a natural color for decently stained water.

Gone Phishin
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Gone Phishin » Fri Jul 15, 2022 10:02 am

SSS wrote:
Thu Jul 14, 2022 3:17 pm
Gone Phishin wrote:
Thu Jul 14, 2022 11:38 am
Sharpies?
Thought of this, but won't the sharpie colors transfter into other rubber baits if put in the same tackle box? I am thinking of simply covering the whole bait in white and then maybe a clearcoat with silver or glold flakes in it. Not looking for any complex paterns, just a natural color for decently stained water.
I think it would be fine, but then again I've never colored the type of plastic on the exterior of those baits.

Jeffbro999
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Jeffbro999 » Sat Jul 16, 2022 10:39 am

If I wanted to redo it and not spend much, I’d buy some Pearl Mica powder and mix that into some epoxy and apply over a white basecoat. Simple, and will give it a very nice Pearl/iridescent shine. Hardest part will be the clear coat though, tough to keep the joints from swinging and touching on a turner. I use 2k high impact auto clear on swimbaits, much easier, but expensive. Let me know if you need some help after paint.

SSS
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by SSS » Mon Jul 18, 2022 2:39 pm

Jeffbro999 wrote:
Sat Jul 16, 2022 10:39 am
If I wanted to redo it and not spend much, I’d buy some Pearl Mica powder and mix that into some epoxy and apply over a white basecoat. Simple, and will give it a very nice Pearl/iridescent shine. Hardest part will be the clear coat though, tough to keep the joints from swinging and touching on a turner. I use 2k high impact auto clear on swimbaits, much easier, but expensive. Let me know if you need some help after paint.
Good idea. Kinda don't want to spend this much on a 2k clear, tho.

What if i apply a white base coat (which i assume you're referring to a white primer?), apply some epoxy mixed in with some pearls and leave it as is? Will it chip away or can it be used?

Jeffbro999
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Jeffbro999 » Fri Aug 12, 2022 10:29 am

SSS wrote:
Mon Jul 18, 2022 2:39 pm
Jeffbro999 wrote:

What if i apply a white base coat (which i assume you're referring to a white primer?), apply some epoxy mixed in with some pearls and leave it as is? Will it chip away or can it be used?
Sorry for the delay, you might have already finished this by now. Epoxy will work, but you better have perfect adhesion. Epoxy tends to chip/peel more than any other clear coat, especially if prep isn’t perfect. Sand and then clean with dawn/water and don’t touch with bare hands at all. Mixing some Mica powder with the epoxy would do the job though, just have to manually spread the powder around so it is even across the bait(it can clump up some if not continually spread). Getting a glide bait finished and on a turner can be a nightmare though, a lot harder to keep those 2 section from touching at the hinge than most would think.

There are some good epoxies out now made for lures, I think LureBlanks.Com sells some. If you use Devcon, be sure to use 2ton 30 minute and not 5 minute. 30 minute is waterproof and won’t yellow while 5 minute is only water resistant and will yellow.

If you get to where you are ready to clear coat, and want me to shoot some clear, send me a message and I’d be glad to throw it in a run for you. Takes about 5 minutes and would ship back to you the next day. Either way, good luck!

SSS
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by SSS » Fri Aug 12, 2022 10:38 pm

Jeffbro999 wrote:
Fri Aug 12, 2022 10:29 am
SSS wrote:
Mon Jul 18, 2022 2:39 pm
Jeffbro999 wrote:

Sorry for the delay, you might have already finished this by now. Epoxy will work, but you better have perfect adhesion. Epoxy tends to chip/peel more than any other clear coat, especially if prep isn’t perfect. Sand and then clean with dawn/water and don’t touch with bare hands at all. Mixing some Mica powder with the epoxy would do the job though, just have to manually spread the powder around so it is even across the bait(it can clump up some if not continually spread). Getting a glide bait finished and on a turner can be a nightmare though, a lot harder to keep those 2 section from touching at the hinge than most would think.

There are some good epoxies out now made for lures, I think LureBlanks.Com sells some. If you use Devcon, be sure to use 2ton 30 minute and not 5 minute. 30 minute is waterproof and won’t yellow while 5 minute is only water resistant and will yellow.

If you get to where you are ready to clear coat, and want me to shoot some clear, send me a message and I’d be glad to throw it in a run for you. Takes about 5 minutes and would ship back to you the next day. Either way, good luck!
What i decided to do is simply buy a waterproof vinyl sticker in silver. As soon as it arrives, ill just remove the rubber top section, size the vinyl to the mold, stick it, put the rubber back, and i think it should look reasonably good.

Jeffbro999
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Jeffbro999 » Sat Aug 13, 2022 9:39 am

Good deal, glad you figured out an easy way to accomplish the goal. Sorry for writing a book, just hate to see someone go to all that work and it start peeling off right away. A lot more work in simple lure painting than most people think.

Vooden
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Vooden » Sun Sep 25, 2022 12:05 pm

Inventive solution. For baits with a lot of surface detail, aluminum leaf can work super well too. And you can remove unwanted material around joints with a dental tool.