Used Items

Anything and everything related to fishing tackle. If you cannot find the sub-category for your topic, go ahead and post it in here!
DarkShadow
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Used Items

Post by DarkShadow » Tue Aug 02, 2022 9:44 pm

Why are Daiwas always being re-sold in the Classifieds?

Let's discuss.

hoohoorjoo
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Re: Used Items

Post by hoohoorjoo » Wed Aug 03, 2022 3:43 pm

Short answer is, we are fanatics and have to try everything at least twice! For example, I have owned 43 different reels based on the Alphas/Sol platform....among those, I've owned 11 different Alphas R Editions. I've also owned 39 different TDZ variations, including 6 different BBS models. For me, the buying/modifying/selling of reels has become an entirely separate hobby from fishing. That's how I sharpened my service and repair skills on modern reels.
Try not to let your mind wander. It is much too small to be outside unsupervised.

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LowRange » Wed Aug 03, 2022 4:51 pm

Daiwa has made a lot of unique reels. You'll end up with high end reels being held onto until a new high end reel is made and then people give up their collections of reels to fund a purchase of a the new reel. Because there is so much variations in braking profiles in Daiwa reels you can find a combination of reel and spool that can outperform a modern reel or maybe someone wants an older reel to pair to their older rod. The Steez TWS with a Zillion Boost spool or the old weak magnet non TWS Steez with Boost spool come to mind as a combination of older reel and newer spool that outperforms the new factory reel/spool pairing.

I want a Zillion HD because I want a black modern Zillion but the stock spool seems to have a really strong braking profile. What I will probably do is also get a used Steez in either the 1st or 2nd gen to put the Boost spool in to wake it up and gain a spare spool, maybe an R+, to use in other reels.

There are also reels that don't have a modern equivalent like the Z2020/Z200. I have a Z200 and on Long Cast mode and a 2oz Big M it will almost cast all the 65# braid off the spool no backer. That's a long casting high capacity reel compared to modern fixed inductor big bait reels. Its a shame Daiwa abandoned Magforce 3D. You also have reels like the last gen Zillion HD or TD Zillion that offer more capacity than the modern 34mm Zillion HD. If you want a higher line cap low profile over a 34mm modern Zillion you have to go to the used market for settle for a Tatula HD.

Speaking of Tatulas, if you want a glossy black with metal flake paint Tatula 150 in an 8:1 then you have to buy the 1st gen Tatula Type R. Same goes if you want a fancier Tatula 200 and you have to track down a used Tatula 150 HD with its metal drag star, short crank shaft and unique CC knob, color lock plate ect. Functionally they are the same but the fancy pants versions haven't been sold in a while so you have to turn to the used market for one.

The short answer is that old high end stuff is coveted and sometimes it comes up for sale to fund the purchase of a new high end this and others jump in and buy the old high end thing to try it or because they already have the new high end thing or that there is some kind of combination of old high end reel and spool that offers a performance not found in a new reel.

Oktayne the Red
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Oktayne the Red » Wed Aug 03, 2022 11:57 pm

I'll bite...

Because everyone's keeping their Shimanos?

:lol: :laugh1: =)))) =)))) =)))) =))))

=))/

(showing myself out, ty)

Fishing4Fun
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Fishing4Fun » Fri Aug 12, 2022 9:47 am

Most of the common reasons:

1. To fund something else
2. They got bored with it
3. Selling to “upgrade” to a newer model
4. Health issues
5. Getting out of fishing/collecting

SteveSchmelzle
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by SteveSchmelzle » Fri Aug 12, 2022 1:34 pm

or the colour doesn't match their motif ;)
1-2%

DarkShadow
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by DarkShadow » Thu Aug 18, 2022 8:37 am

Fishing4Fun wrote:
Fri Aug 12, 2022 9:47 am

4. Health issues
I get all that, but the questions remains, why is there a disproportionate amount of Daiwas in the Classifieds?

Are you saying that the 5 things listed above only Daiwa reel purchasers encounter?

Fishing4Fun
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Fishing4Fun » Thu Aug 18, 2022 9:06 am

DarkShadow wrote:
Thu Aug 18, 2022 8:37 am
Fishing4Fun wrote:

4. Health issues
I get all that, but the questions remains, why is there a disproportionate amount of Daiwas in the Classifieds?

Are you saying that the 5 things listed above only Daiwa reel purchasers encounter?
It ain’t that hard to figure out. This an enthusiast site. That limits the brands to Daiwa, MB, Shimano and a few select Abu reels. Daiwa and MB have the most reels/models that fall into the enthusiast category hence why. Does that make sense to you buddy?

Finnz922
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Finnz922 » Thu Aug 18, 2022 11:27 am

Go to bbcboards.net and take a gander at all the shimanos for sale.
DarkShadow wrote:
Fishing4Fun wrote:

4. Health issues

Drakestar
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Drakestar » Thu Aug 18, 2022 11:52 am

DarkShadow wrote:

Two options, your pick:

1) Enthusiasts on Tackletour buy a disproportionate number of Daiwas because they're so awesome, leading to a disproportionate number of Daiwas in the classifieds as they feed their new-tackle addiction.

2) Enthusiasts on Tackletour buy an equal amount of Shimanos, Dawais etc. but are disproportionally unhappy with Daiwas, and thus sell them at a greater number.

If you put a gun to my head I'd say that 1) is more likely, but my point is that just because a marketplace is dominated by one brand it doesn't mean that it's an inferior brand. It could be the exact opposite, because in this enthusiast crowd, tackle is always in circulation.
Last edited by Drakestar on Thu Aug 18, 2022 10:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

slipperybob
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by slipperybob » Thu Aug 18, 2022 2:34 pm

maybe for eye googling the gorgeous girls

plain jane working dame is not to blame for the game
slip bobbing is the laziest way to fish