Small hairjigs for largemouth

Anything and everything related to fishing tackle. If you cannot find the sub-category for your topic, go ahead and post it in here!
PotatoLake
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Small hairjigs for largemouth

Post by PotatoLake » Sun Dec 18, 2022 7:11 pm

We all know how effective 1/16th oz -1/8th oz. Style hairjigs for smallmouth can be . Has anyone ever tried fishing this method in predominately largemouth waters? I wonder if this is a smallmouth only technique.

uljersey
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Re: Small hairjigs for largemouth

Post by uljersey » Mon Dec 19, 2022 8:37 am

They will catch all species of fish - LM bass, crappie, perch, pickerel etc. I tie my own from black craft hair and whatever ball jigs I have on hand, usually olive green or black. They’re crude, asymmetrical and look like they were made by Stevie Wonder wearing oven mitts. The fish don’t seem to mind at all, the craft hair has a fantastic subtle action that’s perfect for cold lethargic fish.

I suggest throwing them on lighter line as to not dampen the action.

SteveSchmelzle
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by SteveSchmelzle » Mon Dec 19, 2022 2:31 pm

sure, but traditionally largies (at least big ones) are cruising in cover. Small hairjig hooks are fine for open water smallies with light line and light drags (with no obstructions and unlimited time to get them in the boat).

A bit tougher when trying to navigate a bucket through structure.
1-2%

Garfisher
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Garfisher » Tue Dec 27, 2022 5:29 pm

They should work just as well as with smallmouth, especially if there is not a lot of cover, early spring would likely be a great time for them when the weeds are down. In April of last year I caught a couple incidental 3ish pound largemouth on a 1/8oz "hair" jig (mostly marabou but some bucktail and flashabou as well) while trying to get yellow perch. I'm guessing the water temps had barely reached the 40s at that point in the little bay I was fishing (this was maybe 2 weeks after ice out). I know guys will get the odd largemouth when they're ripping bucktail jigs for walleye as well, mind it those jigs are usually ¼ to ⅜ oz

doomtrprz71
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by doomtrprz71 » Tue Jan 03, 2023 7:40 pm

One of the local tackle guys near me does light hairjigs specifically for largemouth, Moe's jigs is the guys company, he does some good work. He gave me one to try this winter but unfortunately I got it hung in a submerged tree top. He even makes chatterbaits with hair skirts.

flipper502
Angler
Angler

Post by flipper502 » Thu Jan 19, 2023 8:30 am

There was a team of some old timers in my area that used to clean up in tournaments fishing rocky structure with 1/4 oz hair jigs and 101 pork on spin gear. The jigs were home made with a single light wire weed guard. From all the money they made I would say they definitely work for LMs.

DirtyD64
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by DirtyD64 » Thu Jan 19, 2023 10:26 am

The SPRO Phat Fly has produced largemouth for me plenty of times. Just not any really big ones.