Why the Mark Ups in Price

Anything and everything related to fishing tackle. If you cannot find the sub-category for your topic, go ahead and post it in here!
goldrod
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Why the Mark Ups in Price

Post by goldrod » Sat Jan 07, 2023 2:59 pm

Was looking at prices for the same reel on the web on various JDM sites and I cant help but to wonder WHY the prices differences can someone please explain?
For by him were all things created, that are in heaven, and that are in earth, visible and invisible

Aquaftm45
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Re: Why the Mark Ups in Price

Post by Aquaftm45 » Sat Jan 07, 2023 3:38 pm

I just did a random check on the Steez A2: Pretty typical from what I have seen in the past. What reel were you looking at?

Steez A2
AP-$404
Dig-$388
JPT-$368
7P-$367

Johnny A
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Johnny A » Sat Jan 07, 2023 4:19 pm

There’s also shipping fees, International Transaction Fees, PP has fees, nothin’ like nickel and dimin’ John Q

goldrod
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by goldrod » Sat Jan 07, 2023 4:54 pm

Aquaftm45 wrote:
Sat Jan 07, 2023 3:38 pm
I just did a random check on the Steez A2: Pretty typical from what I have seen in the past. What reel were you looking at?

Steez A2
AP-$404
Dig-$388
JPT-$368
7P-$367
JDM had it for $408 which is $40 more than jpt then when you add shipping that’s $20 plus

Thanks for the list I forgot about one of the places you listed
For by him were all things created, that are in heaven, and that are in earth, visible and invisible

dennis_rf
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by dennis_rf » Sun Jan 08, 2023 12:49 am

SteezA2
Japan lure shop $359 + shipping - vision 110 gift
Amazon Japan $402 shipped and taxed
Plat $407 free shipping

When I was in Japan 2019, prices had BIG variation locally as well. Bit of a shocker was they add VAT at the counter like in the US (8% at the time). Big stores could do the paper work for me leaving Japan to spare me the VAT. Still it was cheaper to get the Antares A from Amazon to the hotel including VAT than at the cheapest shop without VAT. Ended up paying €370 / $392 dodging customs at the airport back in Germany (would have been 23,4% in import tax on top)
Bantam MGL €230 / $244

The international online sellers vary just as much, the cheapest I found being Japan lure shop. Their prices usually match the cheapest Japanese domestic online shops.

If you’re sure your customs will charge you with import taxes where you live, Amazon jp is a great seller as they handle everything for you, charge you the final price including import tax and drop the Japanese VAT in the checkout process. Plus deliver in 4 days via express. At least that’s our experience in Europe.

Slazmo
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Slazmo » Sun Jan 08, 2023 1:18 am

Anyone thought about their individual buying power (shop size and turnover) and their pricing structures relevant to who they buy from?

I mean I work for a composites firm and the local waterproofing bloke gets a different price as to the larger boat builders buy at, as they are negotiating pricing tiers individually.

RRP and all that isnt stable.

Just a thought.