Good Tackle Thread (overlooked products)

Anything and everything related to fishing tackle. If you cannot find the sub-category for your topic, go ahead and post it in here!
PotatoLake
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Re: Good Tackle Thread (overlooked products)

Post by PotatoLake » Mon Mar 06, 2023 9:46 am

I think this is overlooked, but Keitech makes a creature bait called a Krazy Flapper, it comes in a few sizes. It's very versatile, I use it for a jig trailer, pitching, wobble head, and on a free rig. It gets me bites around docks like no other lure as I typically struggle to catch them off docks, but this sucker draws fish to it. Definitely, a warmer water temp deal as it has an exaggerated movement.

Randingo
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Randingo » Mon Mar 06, 2023 6:06 pm

PotatoLake wrote:
Mon Mar 06, 2023 9:46 am
I think this is overlooked, but Keitech makes a creature bait called a Krazy Flapper, it comes in a few sizes. It's very versatile, I use it for a jig trailer, pitching, wobble head, and on a free rig. It gets me bites around docks like no other lure as I typically struggle to catch them off docks, but this sucker draws fish to it. Definitely, a warmer water temp deal as it has an exaggerated movement.
The Crazy Flapper is an incredible bait! It has amazing action (more than I want in cold water, but during the warmer months it's been money), and it works well rigged in so many different ways.

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LowRange » Tue Mar 07, 2023 7:15 am

Yeah the Crazy Flapper kind of got forgotten about. There was a lot of buzz on it when it came out but now it's under the radar. I liked the 2.8 on a Bitsy Bug or weedless Shroomz head in warm water.

DirtyD64
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by DirtyD64 » Tue Mar 07, 2023 12:58 pm

The only thing I didn't like about the Crazy Flapper was that when rigged on an EWG, the neck of the plastic was thin and tore really easy. Behind a jig or rigged differently helped though. I'm not sure Keitech has any bad products...

KP Duty
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by KP Duty » Thu Mar 09, 2023 8:25 am

Randingo wrote:
Sat Feb 25, 2023 11:07 pm
Pretty much everything in the Lunker City catalog is overlooked and underrated. Since the Super Fluke appeared, people stopped talking about the SlugGo, which was the first soft plastic jerkbait. They invented the best softbait keeper system for jigs, were almost the first to have a grub with a paddle tail, created the first Wacky-rig-specific worm, were among the first domestic companies with a solid-body swim bait, created the first soft plastic “buzz toad” type of bait (admittedly with a single tail), etc. And everything they make that I've ever fished catches fish. Oh, and they were the first company with high quality and cylinder shaped dropshot weights.
I agree. I use Lunker City's 'texposer' hooks as well.

Randingo
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Randingo » Thu Mar 09, 2023 4:13 pm

KP Duty wrote:
Thu Mar 09, 2023 8:25 am
The Texposer is an excellent hook for sure! Have you ever tried the extra wide gap version? I haven't, but it ought to be pretty good too.

I remember years ago when it was new and the Fluke was first getting popular, a friend and I were at a show, and Herb Reed was manning the Lunker City booth. Herb was showing the Texposer to someone, and my friend chimed in with, “those hooks are great with flukes.” Herb might have flinched slightly, but my friend felt guilty and started trying to recover by talking too much, saying, “and of course Sluggos. And Salad Spoons. I love those things.” He eventually just sort of slunk away, muttering about what an idiot he was...

a1712
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by a1712 » Mon Mar 13, 2023 2:02 pm

I never hear any talk about the Grande Bass Rattlesnake Worms. They've rescued more than one horrid day of fishing, whether catching fish after struggling or putting that big kicker in the box. For me they just catch fish and they swim better than a Fluke. Vicks #20 or Trophy Hunter color then hold on. Brian.
Are you fishing or aimlessly casting around?

KP Duty
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by KP Duty » Wed Mar 15, 2023 9:32 am

Randingo wrote:
Thu Mar 09, 2023 4:13 pm
KP Duty wrote:
Thu Mar 09, 2023 8:25 am
The Texposer is an excellent hook for sure! Have you ever tried the extra wide gap version? I haven't, but it ought to be pretty good too.

I remember years ago when it was new and the Fluke was first getting popular, a friend and I were at a show, and Herb Reed was manning the Lunker City booth. Herb was showing the Texposer to someone, and my friend chimed in with, “those hooks are great with flukes.” Herb might have flinched slightly, but my friend felt guilty and started trying to recover by talking too much, saying, “and of course Sluggos. And Salad Spoons. I love those things.” He eventually just sort of slunk away, muttering about what an idiot he was...
Haven't tried the wide gap texposer....just noticed them this year. Great story btw...

KP Duty
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by KP Duty » Wed Mar 15, 2023 9:34 am

a1712 wrote:
Mon Mar 13, 2023 2:02 pm
I never hear any talk about the Grande Bass Rattlesnake Worms. They've rescued more than one horrid day of fishing, whether catching fish after struggling or putting that big kicker in the box. For me they just catch fish and they swim better than a Fluke. Vicks #20 or Trophy Hunter color then hold on. Brian.
I agree...rattlesnakes are the bomb. They came out waaay before Geecrack's 'bellows stick'.

PKN8
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by PKN8 » Wed Mar 15, 2023 10:36 am

DRT VTS7. More than just a giant fluke.
Always learning...

DirtyD64
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by DirtyD64 » Thu Mar 16, 2023 4:47 am

a1712 wrote:
Amazing bait. I use the Baby Rattlesnake for dropshots. The regular size works great on Carolina rigs too. The 6.5" magnum is also a fun bait, much thicker profile than similar baits of that length, like the Bellows stick or Reins Bubbling Shaker...

Jimjoe
Newbie Angler
Newbie Angler

Post by Jimjoe » Thu Mar 16, 2023 7:29 am

a1712 wrote:
Yep, severely underappretiated! 3.75" is one of my go-tos :D
Didn't have much luck with 6.5 and 8 Megatail that I've picked up while restocking 223 ammo, but only tried those 2 or 3 times
Last edited by Jimjoe on Thu Mar 30, 2023 11:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Fishing 2007

evilcatfish
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by evilcatfish » Fri Mar 17, 2023 12:40 pm

I’ll throw the skirted grub/hula grub/chompers into the mix. I remember these being super popular years back but you don’t hear much about them these days. The selection is much smaller these days, but I still buy them and catch a ton of fish on em.

DirtyD64
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by DirtyD64 » Sat Mar 18, 2023 5:22 pm

evilcatfish wrote:
Fri Mar 17, 2023 12:40 pm
I’ll throw the skirted grub/hula grub/chompers into the mix. I remember these being super popular years back but you don’t hear much about them these days. The selection is much smaller these days, but I still buy them and catch a ton of fish on em.
I forgot about those too. When I first started fishing, one of those on a small weedless football head would always pull smallmouth. Now I use them on the Owner Bullet heads or the EWG NED style heads, Hula grubs only need about a 1/0 or 2/0 hook.

dragon1
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by dragon1 » Sun Apr 02, 2023 4:15 pm

evilcatfish wrote:
Fri Mar 17, 2023 12:40 pm
Chompers/Yamamoto spider grub on a spinnerbait as a replacement for the skirt is kick ass as well.
"It is like a finger pointing away to the Moon...don't concentrate on the finger, or you will miss all of that heavenly glory."