Rain Gear

Anything and everything related to fishing tackle. If you cannot find the sub-category for your topic, go ahead and post it in here!
DarkShadow
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Rain Gear

Post by DarkShadow » Tue Nov 21, 2023 9:00 am

Just spent last Saturday standing in a bass boat, realizing that when clothing is labeled as 'waterproof,' there are levels of waterproof-ness.

From 6 am to about 1 pm, it felt like we were standing under a shower head. By 7:30, I was completely soaked.

I made big mistakes in choosing what to wear, obviously and just because something is labeled, "GoreTex," doesn't mean that it will keep you dry apparently.

Aside from dropping some coin on a Simms bib and jacket, are there any rock solid rain gear that can actually handle a once in a 40 years storm?

https://www.sanluisobispo.com/news/weat ... 51938.html

My buddy was high and dry and he used the BassProShops 100 MPH bib and jacket. I notice they don't make them anymore.

dhottle
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: Rain Gear

Post by dhottle » Tue Nov 21, 2023 11:26 am

I have a set of Cabelas gore tex guide wear bibs & jacket and they keep you dry. I also bought a light rain suit jacket & pants from LL Bean which are also gore tex & they also do the job. The light weight set from LL Bean is marketed more like a golf rain gear set.

slipperybob
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by slipperybob » Tue Nov 21, 2023 12:09 pm

This is where I wished the old super old Browning Hunting gear was still made like it was like...30+ years ago and it was labeled Gore-tex. Of which I was only able to afford a super cheap Browning Gore-tex pull over pants that I did get some camp fire sparks burnt holes. However it still has better water proofness over anything I've purchased over the years. I should've worked harder over the summer to afford a full set in my teen years. :mrgreen:

Aside from that the only other water proof crude that has never failed was the PVC rain coat parkas. Cheap an nonbreathable and stiff. Unfortunate one does soak in one's sweat, but for standing purpose, never fails. Until wear and tear takes into the PVC.

I bought a set of Frog Toggs Pro Dry on clearance a few years ago and it's still working out well. The only misgiving is that it's a bit oversized but must be the intended design. I won't be moving around much in them but for standing purpose, it withstood down pour well for hours. I haven't revisited the set recently like this year so maybe it still works, maybe not. Haven't done anything in downpour as of late.

Since the top tier Frog Toggs have caught up in price to a Simms...I may get a Simms cuz the form fit of Simms is way better for my body shape. I can move in my Simms insulated Challenger way better than my Frog Toggs Pro Dry. Year end clearance on Simms gear is perfect pricing - as long as there's the correct sizing available.
slip bobbing is the laziest way to fish

John2204
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by John2204 » Sat Nov 25, 2023 6:19 am

Just buy the Simms rain gear, its the best on the market

doomtrprz71
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by doomtrprz71 » Wed Jan 03, 2024 6:11 am

I have a habit set that I fish in worse rainfall all the time with, I've never had a simms set, though. I had a frabill set for long time that did a great job but they have been discontinued.

mbg1960
Angler
Angler

Post by mbg1960 » Tue Apr 16, 2024 8:26 pm

Cabelas GoreTex Guidewear BEFORE Bass Pro ruined the Cabelas quality. I use the Boathouse brand now. With GoreTex, of course.