2021 steez ags rods

A specialized forum to discuss anything and everything about your favorite or not so favorite fishing rods.
Drakestar
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Re: 2021 steez ags rods

Post by Drakestar » Fri Apr 14, 2023 11:55 am

jejenkyns wrote:
Fri Apr 14, 2023 7:58 am
Anyone running braid to a long leader on an AGS rod without issue? The orange card scared me.
Yep, all the time. Fireline and regular braid to fluor and mono, in FG and double uni knots. It shouldn't be an issue.

jejenkyns
Angler
Angler

Post by jejenkyns » Fri Apr 14, 2023 12:48 pm

Drakestar wrote:
Fri Apr 14, 2023 11:55 am
jejenkyns wrote:
Fri Apr 14, 2023 7:58 am
Anyone running braid to a long leader on an AGS rod without issue? The orange card scared me.
Yep, all the time. Fireline and regular braid to fluor and mono, in FG and double uni knots. It shouldn't be an issue.
Awesome, that's my jam. Thanks

Senko_My_Battleship
Angler
Angler

Post by Senko_My_Battleship » Sun Apr 23, 2023 5:31 am

How does the 72H compare to the 873 or FMJ for a multipurpose jig and bottom contact rod with a little single hook versatility? Trying to figure out which high end bottom contact has the right blend of excelling at texas rigs and jigs in light to moderate cover as well as deep water, while maybe dipping a toe into some other single hook techniques (moving). Thanks!

gopokes12
Angler
Angler

Post by gopokes12 » Fri Apr 28, 2023 10:20 am

Senko_My_Battleship wrote:
Sun Apr 23, 2023 5:31 am
How does the 72H compare to the 873 or FMJ for a multipurpose jig and bottom contact rod with a little single hook versatility? Trying to figure out which high end bottom contact has the right blend of excelling at texas rigs and jigs in light to moderate cover as well as deep water, while maybe dipping a toe into some other single hook techniques (moving). Thanks!
I’ve had all 3 and I kept my 72H over the 873 for that reason. FMJ is really awesome but I will say you’re not going to enjoy single hook moving baits with that unless it’s 1/2oz SJ in thick grass. The FMJ is very fast and stout. The Steez 7’2 H has the ability to do what you want and also has a good tip for moving baits. It’s a great heavy powered junk fishing rod but I think it’s still best at pitching jigs and t rigs. It’s very much like a 873 but with the ability to throw a little heavier baits and more effectively use moving baits like spinnerbaits.

Senko_My_Battleship
Angler
Angler

Post by Senko_My_Battleship » Fri Apr 28, 2023 6:34 pm

gopokes12 wrote:
Fri Apr 28, 2023 10:20 am
Sun Apr 23, 2023 5:31 am
I’ve had all 3 and I kept my 72H over the 873 for that reason. FMJ is really awesome but I will say you’re not going to enjoy single hook moving baits with that unless it’s 1/2oz SJ in thick grass. The FMJ is very fast and stout. The Steez 7’2 H has the ability to do what you want and also has a good tip for moving baits. It’s a great heavy powered junk fishing rod but I think it’s still best at pitching jigs and t rigs. It’s very much like a 873 but with the ability to throw a little heavier baits and more effectively use moving baits like spinnerbaits.
That is exactly what I was hoping for!! Thank you so much for taking the time to provide your experienced opinion on the matter.

Bass1980
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Bass1980 » Thu May 25, 2023 6:16 am

Thought I'd just ask here instead of making a new thread with my steez ags question. For those that know I'd like to hear your thoughts.

Steez Utility Player - Want this rod for 1/4oz texas rig worm. Reading the comments it seems like this one is the ticket? How does this rod compared to a USA Daemos? I loved my Daemos for this but it's in 50ft of water unfortunately. Looking for a rod with a MH rod with a little more action than a traditional jig rod.

Steez BCll - I've owned a 894c in the past but sold it due to the open reel seat hurting my ring finger when I work a Trig. Very good rod and sensitivity is off the charts for a powerful rod. How does this BCll compare to the 894c power and taper wise? Currently running a X7DFM for jigs and would like the extra length.

Steez Power Pitch - Looking to use this for frogs mainly in semi thick cover. I have a steez xbd and it's too stout for me and handle is too long. Currently running a XXPP and tip is perfect but the handle and round butt kind of bothers me. I've used my FMJ and it's not the ticket even with the slight versatile tip for a H power rod. At worse I could use the steez power pitch for pitching Trig into pockets of milfoil.

bronzefly
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by bronzefly » Sun May 28, 2023 3:09 am

Bass1980 wrote:
Thu May 25, 2023 6:16 am
Thought I'd just ask here instead of making a new thread with my steez ags question. For those that know I'd like to hear your thoughts.

Steez Utility Player - Want this rod for 1/4oz texas rig worm. Reading the comments it seems like this one is the ticket? How does this rod compared to a USA Daemos? I loved my Daemos for this but it's in 50ft of water unfortunately. Looking for a rod with a MH rod with a little more action than a traditional jig rod.

Steez BCll - I've owned a 894c in the past but sold it due to the open reel seat hurting my ring finger when I work a Trig. Very good rod and sensitivity is off the charts for a powerful rod. How does this BCll compare to the 894c power and taper wise? Currently running a X7DFM for jigs and would like the extra length.

Steez Power Pitch - Looking to use this for frogs mainly in semi thick cover. I have a steez xbd and it's too stout for me and handle is too long. Currently running a XXPP and tip is perfect but the handle and round butt kind of bothers me. I've used my FMJ and it's not the ticket even with the slight versatile tip for a H power rod. At worse I could use the steez power pitch for pitching Trig into pockets of milfoil.
1. Steez Utility Player (7'3" MH) - its one of the best 1/4 oz T-Rig rods out there. It's very sensitive, has the right action, and plenty of power for good hook setting in deeper water. It was designed with versatility in mind, like most of the current Steez AGS rods, but it is so good with a T-Rig, myself and lots of customers have reported that a T-Rig is the most common application with this model.

2. Steez Bottom Contact II (7'5" MH/H) - I had the 894 (non +) for years, great rod for sure. The BCII is every bit as sensitive in my hands, has a little bit more power, and a little deeper flex to the blank. It's a truly incredible jig rod - deep to shallow - but I tend to use it for longer range casting jigs and T-Rigs, or in deeper water situations. It's my favorite 3/4 oz Football Jig rod by far.

3. Steez Power Pitch (7'2" H) - This is a very special rod within a very special rod line up. It is a great frog rod as it has the right balance of tip and power for this technique. It is also a world class pitching to cover rod - jigs and T-Rigs. It's also versatile enough to handle baits like the 6" Magdraft.

Hope this helps. I've spent a lot of time with this entire line up and really enjoy the whole series. "The Ned" has really grown on me this year even though it's not my favorite technique, that rod is so much fun!!
www.tackletrap.com
facebook.com/tackletrap

jejenkyns
Angler
Angler

Post by jejenkyns » Mon May 29, 2023 5:51 am

bronzefly wrote:
Sun May 28, 2023 3:09 am
Bass1980 wrote:
Thu May 25, 2023 6:16 am

1. Steez Utility Player (7'3" MH) - its one of the best 1/4 oz T-Rig rods out there. It's very sensitive, has the right action, and plenty of power for good hook setting in deeper water. It was designed with versatility in mind, like most of the current Steez AGS rods, but it is so good with a T-Rig, myself and lots of customers have reported that a T-Rig is the most common application with this model.
How would the 7'3 UP compare with the p5 X-Bites in terms of application, power and action?

Thanks

Drakestar
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Drakestar » Tue May 30, 2023 1:46 pm

I was able to buy a Moving Bait Versatile for cheap (40% off) and have not regretted the decision. At first I thought it would be too light, but I've been able to throw smaller spinnerbaits (Megabass) and Flashy Swimmers with 4.8 Keitechs through light to medium vegeation just fine, and been able to pull fish out, as well. I saw this rod advertised as the perfect swim jig rod, but I have yet to try that one.

The rod strikes me as a kind of MBR taper - slow enough to deal with moving baits well, but still fast enough (and sensitive enough!) to throw the occasional t-rig etc. when you want to.

Senko_My_Battleship
Angler
Angler

Post by Senko_My_Battleship » Wed May 31, 2023 5:28 am

Drakestar wrote:
Tue May 30, 2023 1:46 pm
I was able to buy a Moving Bait Versatile for cheap (40% off) and have not regretted the decision. At first I thought it would be too light, but I've been able to throw smaller spinnerbaits (Megabass) and Flashy Swimmers with 4.8 Keitechs through light to medium vegeation just fine, and been able to pull fish out, as well. I saw this rod advertised as the perfect swim jig rod, but I have yet to try that one.

The rod strikes me as a kind of MBR taper - slow enough to deal with moving baits well, but still fast enough (and sensitive enough!) to throw the occasional t-rig etc. when you want to.
That is on my short list, but have trouble justifying it when I also have the 69M and both of the Megabass medium P5 jerkbait rods that can do a lot of the same stuff. But man that rod seems special.

Drakestar
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Drakestar » Wed May 31, 2023 3:06 pm

Wed May 31, 2023 5:28 am
Drakestar wrote:
Tue May 30, 2023 1:46 pm

That is on my short list, but have trouble justifying it when I also have the 69M and both of the Megabass medium P5 jerkbait rods that can do a lot of the same stuff. But man that rod seems special.
Your bank account won't like this, but IMO the Moving Bait Versatile isn't in the same space as the Universal Light and you would like to have both. I have the UL, as well, and I throw flukes and jerkbaits on it (with the occasional shakyhead or heavier tubes). I go into weeds with it, but only on smaller baits - the aforementioned flukes, weedless tubes etc.

The MBV can throw a full-grown underspin (with a 4.8 trailer) through vegetation, and it can work a smaller spinnerbait or swim jig equally. I wouldn't throw either of those on the UL. Both rods can throw topwaters, I guess (poppers etc.), but I'd prefer the MBV for that task over the UL.

Both rods are classified as a Medium, but the MBV feels heavier, for sure.

Senko_My_Battleship
Angler
Angler

Post by Senko_My_Battleship » Thu Jun 01, 2023 4:47 am

Drakestar wrote:
Wed May 31, 2023 3:06 pm

Your bank account won't like this, but IMO the Moving Bait Versatile isn't in the same space as the Universal Light and you would like to have both. I have the UL, as well, and I throw flukes and jerkbaits on it (with the occasional shakyhead or heavier tubes). I go into weeds with it, but only on smaller baits - the aforementioned flukes, weedless tubes etc.

The MBV can throw a full-grown underspin (with a 4.8 trailer) through vegetation, and it can work a smaller spinnerbait or swim jig equally. I wouldn't throw either of those on the UL. Both rods can throw topwaters, I guess (poppers etc.), but I'd prefer the MBV for that task over the UL.

Both rods are classified as a Medium, but the MBV feels heavier, for sure.
Interesting, I typically throw those underspins, swimjigs, and spinnerbaits at on my Utility Player—my bank account is already upset with me lol.

Are you throwing the UL with braid to deal with all that grass or fluoro for the jerks? I tried braid on it for half a second and hated it but I’m also thinking I should’ve gone for lighter braid and wanting to try it again.

Honestly following your description of the MBV as more powerful, I’m wondering if what I’m really after is more like the P5 Z-Crank as essentially I’m just wanting a longer light treble hook moving bait rod. Currently using the UL in that capacity, find myself wishing it was longer with a bit more tip but at the same time it’s faster action seems to allow me to throw soft plastics on a rod I also use for treble baits so it’s hard to complain. I really love that rod.

jrob_152
Newbie Angler
Newbie Angler

Post by jrob_152 » Thu Jun 01, 2023 7:20 am

I agree with Drakestar.
The MBV is a very special rod and can do more than the UL. I have used both for the same techniques.

Other Steez rods to consider are the PP and BC2. Very special indeed! The tip on the PP for a heavy action rod at 4.3 oz makes it very versatile.

The 7’3” ML+ BLX is great for all of the same techniques as the MBV with a little larger weight range 1/7- 7/8. Can actually throw chatterbaits and 1/2 spinnerbaits. Which I wouldn’t do on the MBV. I prefer the BLX for flukes and the other baits mentioned.. I did purchase the BLX first. The rod is not as sensitive as the MBV. The AGS guides make a huge difference.

Freddie
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Freddie » Sun Jun 04, 2023 1:57 pm

How is the 6'9" medium-light with ned rigs? Is it sensitive enough for finesse bottom contact applications? I believe its rated from 1/8-5/8 oz.

Rodster14
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Rodster14 » Mon Jun 05, 2023 2:36 am

Would the Moving Bait Versatile make a good top water rod (Shower Blows 105 is tied on most of the time)? When top water isn’t on, it would be used for a little bit of everything else.