g loomis NRX worth $450+?

A specialized forum to discuss anything and everything about your favorite or not so favorite fishing rods.
JDLaman
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: g loomis NRX worth $450+?

Post by JDLaman » Mon Feb 28, 2011 9:48 am

ecu daniel 14 wrote:Hey guys,

I am currently getting rid of most of my casting rods for more of an "all around" MH casting rod.
For an all around MH rod I would look no further than a G Loomis MBR783 GLX. It can do many things well.

jeb
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by jeb » Mon Feb 28, 2011 11:19 am

BASSTROYER wrote:Yes its worth it, cant wait to try out my NRX 852S.
Sorry, I'm confused. How do you know if it's worth it if you haven't tried it yet?

I'm still on the fence about mine. I got an 803 NRX about a month ago now. It's very light, I'll give it that. The split grip is a little funky since there's not much space between the splits, but it's easy to get used to that way. But I'm not sure it's anymore sensitive than my 2 - BCR803 GLX's yet. Still more testing to do to figure that one yet as I have not compared them with the same lure, same water, same conditions. I will sooner or later, though.

rp346
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by rp346 » Mon Feb 28, 2011 12:08 pm

Bass Oreno wrote:Warning i have heard that the foregrip split on all the casting model !
Dude,
Could you please be more specific, because this old news and the fix is with composite cork and a new rod replacement. Love you guys who take pot shots.....

DavidSA
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by DavidSA » Mon Feb 28, 2011 12:12 pm

jeb wrote:
Sorry, I'm confused. How do you know if it's worth it if you haven't tried it yet?

I'm still on the fence about mine. I got an 803 NRX about a month ago now. It's very light, I'll give it that. The split grip is a little funky since there's not much space between the splits, but it's easy to get used to that way. But I'm not sure it's anymore sensitive than my 2 - BCR803 GLX's yet. Still more testing to do to figure that one yet as I have not compared them with the same lure, same water, same conditions. I will sooner or later, though.

I'm almost in the same boat as Jeb. I got my 803NRX in December and I have yet to conclude without doubt it is more sensitive then my BCR 803 GLX.

What I have determined is that this 803NRX feels like the BCR 802 GLX to hold and cast yet it has the power of the 803. Yesterday I was throwing the lightest shakey head rig I ever fish on baitcasting gear and it appears to cast it just as well as the 802. From landing a few fish in December on the rod, I know that it fishes like the 803 power wise.

When I''m certain that the NRX fishes better the the GLX sensitivity wise I will post it but I won't declare is just because it retails for $450.

By the way, I think the 803GLX fishes plastics more sensitive then any rod, even the GLX BCR series that I've fished so getting better then this is a pretty high bar in my book.

rp346
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by rp346 » Mon Feb 28, 2011 12:14 pm

jeb wrote:

Jeb,
I am with you having the same 2 BCR803'S and waiting for the ice to melt to play with the NRX....

bassmaster_flex
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by bassmaster_flex » Mon Feb 28, 2011 1:20 pm

Birdi23nls wrote:
Bass Oreno wrote:Warning i have heard that the foregrip split on all the casting model !

we were talking about that before the site crashed. It was the first batch of rods to hit the stores, the problem has now been fixed. I actually had one of the older rods and they replaced it at no charge.
Is it worth pursuing this? Mine is still fine, but will they replace it even if its not cracked yet? I bet i have to wait until it splits. Mine is of the first batch that came out.

Anyways, back on topic, at first I said F$*#&$ no... but after fishing deep weedlines with jigs and senkos.... yes. The sensitive part is well known and its surprisingly powerful. I throw only senkos and 1/2oz and under jigs and it is badass.

ecu daniel 14
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by ecu daniel 14 » Mon Feb 28, 2011 1:23 pm

yeah its taking me sooo long to pull the trigger on the $450 though...I cant bring myself to do it haha
stress-what happens between fishing trips

rp346
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by rp346 » Mon Feb 28, 2011 1:29 pm

ecu daniel 14 wrote:yeah its taking me sooo long to pull the trigger on the $450 though...I cant bring myself to do it haha
Do you always pay retail (full List)...Learn to shop.....You may surprise yourself it may only cost $ 330. shipped.

johnD
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by johnD » Mon Feb 28, 2011 1:36 pm

Cumara CUC72MH

Birdi23nls
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Birdi23nls » Mon Feb 28, 2011 2:44 pm

bassmaster_flex wrote:
Birdi23nls wrote:

we were talking about that before the site crashed. It was the first batch of rods to hit the stores, the problem has now been fixed. I actually had one of the older rods and they replaced it at no charge.
Is it worth pursuing this? Mine is still fine, but will they replace it even if its not cracked yet? I bet i have to wait until it splits. Mine is of the first batch that came out.

Anyways, back on topic, at first I said F$*#&$ no... but after fishing deep weedlines with jigs and senkos.... yes. The sensitive part is well known and its surprisingly powerful. I throw only senkos and 1/2oz and under jigs and it is badass.

no, mine had not split yet....they sent me a new rod.
Jared

TeamDaiwaRick
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by TeamDaiwaRick » Mon Feb 28, 2011 3:08 pm

IMHO, the NRX does not worth $450+. Yes, it is very light weighted, but I don't see any reason that will make this rod worth that much. I will go for a custom or or a Megabass in this price range. 8-)

simbat
Angler
Angler

Post by simbat » Mon Feb 28, 2011 6:02 pm

Im wayting till they offer a two piece 'NRX rod.I'm not gonna pay that kind of money for a rod that I can't take with me on a trip to Alaska or Thailand...no way

bronzefly
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by bronzefly » Tue Mar 01, 2011 2:08 am

Are they worth the price? Only the individual buyer can determine where quality, price, and performance meet to create value in any item. For some, customs are the way to go and for others a different brand. I have quite a few NRX rods now and have been fishing them since they first came out. I am looking forward to the release of more new models - I absolutely love mine.

All mine have the natural cork foregrips and NONE have split. I've ACTUALLY FISHED these rods longer than most guys out there and none of my foregrips have split. One of the first batches of rods had an issue and Loomis knows about it and have been replacing rods at no cost from that batch as it was an obvious manufacturing defect that has now been corrected. I am going to keep fishing my rods and if the foregrip splits, I know they will stand behind their product as they always have.
www.tackletrap.com
facebook.com/tackletrap

fishsmart
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by fishsmart » Tue Mar 01, 2011 9:37 am

When you amortize the cost of a rod on a cost per fishing trip basis the rod cost is not really significant.

Buy a rod that feels good and one you can catch fish when using it. I have had an NRX852 for 6 + months coupled with a tuned Chronarch 100D7 with braid and fluoro leader and will buy more.

Charles

C_diesel2
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by C_diesel2 » Fri Mar 04, 2011 11:40 am

Find a used diawa steez 7'1 compile x....... Hands down my favorite rod...