Abu Veritas vs. Verdict

A specialized forum to discuss anything and everything about your favorite or not so favorite fishing rods.
ecu daniel 14
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Abu Veritas vs. Verdict

Post by ecu daniel 14 » Mon Feb 28, 2011 3:12 am

I just wanted to get some opinions on these rods. They are great for the price, however, they are made from slightly different "ton" graphite.

I understand that the higher the "ton" rating, the lighter and more sensitive the rod is, but doesn't this mean more brittle as well?

I was curious if anyone has both and could tell me if there is THAT much of a difference between 30 ton and 36 ton graphite. I think the customer who buys a Verdict is more or less just paying the extra money for the extend able handle concept...?
stress-what happens between fishing trips

21farms
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Re: Abu Veritas vs. Verdict

Post by 21farms » Mon Feb 28, 2011 3:58 am

i have a couple of veritas but no verdicts. anyway, i find it curious that the veritas incorporates nano technology but the verdict doesn't. i have to wonder, "why not?"

ecu daniel 14
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by ecu daniel 14 » Mon Feb 28, 2011 4:10 am

thats a good point I diddnt even realize that the verdict diddnt have the nano....

Jason Penn
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Jason Penn » Mon Feb 28, 2011 7:22 am

Only messing with the Verdict in store I wasn't as impressed with the rod as I was hoping to be.

I have 2 of the 7' M m/f Veritas and like them other than the trigger on the reel seat. It's just a tad bit too long on the curved section and almost gives me a blister on my ring finger. I might actually try to work it down a bit with sandpaper or a dremel.

Fat-G
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Fat-G » Mon Feb 28, 2011 7:47 am

I have held both at BPS, and was way more impressed with the Veritas. It felt a lot more comfortable and a little bit lighter and more balanced. The only thing holding me back is the fact that it is straight white...not really big on that.

ecu daniel 14
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by ecu daniel 14 » Mon Feb 28, 2011 8:18 am

yeah im not too fond of the white either...looks like a cheap walmart catfish rod

breezy
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by breezy » Mon Feb 28, 2011 1:42 pm

I'm inclined to believe the ton rating and "nano shield" tech is more marketing than anything. It is kind of odd they would leave their latest and greatest technology out of the top end rod though if true. Unfortunately I haven't had a chance to fish with the Verdict but I'm eager to hear some reviews. I always feel like most 7'+ rod handles are slightly too long so the adjustable handle may be a good compromise.

21farms
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by 21farms » Mon Nov 07, 2011 8:18 am

i have had the 7'0" veritas (medium power, moderate-fast action) for awhile now and it has become my favorite rattlebait stick, even moreso than my dobyns 705cb. at only 4.1 ounces, it handles like a dream. i just recently bought two verdicts, the 7'0" medium-heavy/fast spinning and the 7'0" heavy/extra fast casting. the spinning rod (VCS70-6) weighs in at 4.8 ounces and the casting rod (VCC70-7) comes in at 6.45 ounces! i haven't fished with either one yet but i'm already disappointed by the weight (plus the fact that the extending handle on my spinning rod is stuck at the fully-extended position.

KCL655321
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by KCL655321 » Mon Nov 07, 2011 4:03 pm

I've got a 7'6" MH Verdict & I really dig it with my Premier mounted on it. I've used it for flipping, pitching, t-rigs, & soft swimbaits & I love the way it balances & it has plenty of backbone for setting the hook & dragging them in. I haven't got a Veritas yet, although I will have a 7' MH F Micro Veritas before next spring. I really like the way they felt while playing with them in BPS & I think it will look great with my Lew's Tournament Pro mounted on it.

Buck2thPerch
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Buck2thPerch » Tue Nov 08, 2011 2:49 am

Daniel....

I know you are curious and I have nothing aginst a Veritas or Verdict rod. I actually still have one Veritas rod left and I just gave it to my Brother-In-Law - he loves the white color. :? The Veritas rod holds its own. Like I have stated on other threads, you don't find titanium line guide with Sic inserts on a $100 rod.

IMO - You are better off with a Ballistic Casting rod, Light & Tough, or my recomendation - a Zillion Rod (Sic inserts). :mrgreen: :whistle: Zillion rods are more than half the performance of its better sibling - Steez SVF rods. The only thing you might find an issue with is the tounge on the Zillion rod. I was actually not fond of the tounge but eventually after a years use, have grown fond of it. The Zillion Rods are just as light and sensative as any of Gloomis' IMX/GLX rods. My favorite combo - Alphas Ito 103 or Pixy on the Zillion 6'6' M XF rod. If I am right the Rod is about [Edit]2.5oz - 3.5oz while the Pixy is 5.8/Alphas Ito 5.9oz - thus the whole setup weighs in under 9oz. :big grin:
Last edited by Buck2thPerch on Tue Nov 08, 2011 4:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
Marine General Staff - Duluth MN
**What is fishing?**

ecu daniel 14
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by ecu daniel 14 » Tue Nov 08, 2011 4:08 am

yeah...soooo....this post is pretty old.....it was started almost a year ago....

Buck2thPerch
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Buck2thPerch » Tue Nov 08, 2011 4:49 am

ecu daniel 14 wrote:yeah...soooo....this post is pretty old.....it was started almost a year ago....
:lol: I didn't even look at the date. :doh:
Marine General Staff - Duluth MN
**What is fishing?**

ecu daniel 14
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by ecu daniel 14 » Tue Nov 08, 2011 3:24 pm

Buck2thPerch wrote:
ecu daniel 14 wrote:yeah...soooo....this post is pretty old.....it was started almost a year ago....
:lol: I didn't even look at the date. :doh:
LOL its cool, I do it all the time....its pretty weird that this was brought back up actually....I first started asking about cheap rods a year ago...... now I have steez, megabass, st croix.....TT + Daniel = broke.