Recoil guides

A specialized forum to discuss anything and everything about your favorite or not so favorite fishing rods.
Rfdong
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Recoil guides

Post by Rfdong » Sat Mar 31, 2012 12:49 pm

Just curious, seems some people don't like them. I personally don't mind them, and past the looks, there's some benefit to not breaking or bending etc. Thoughts? likes, dislikes? problems? or is it just purely personal preference.

fishsmart
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Re: Recoil guides

Post by fishsmart » Sat Mar 31, 2012 2:58 pm

Recoil guides is a generic style. I have heavy wire ones on a Loomis BCR802 rod and light wire ones on 2 NRX rods.

One NRX 854 rod is currently being replaced as the 2 of the light wire guides have broken off rings and 2 light wire guides have had the wires on the guide ring break and protrude outward. REC replaced the broken guides with 7mm guides and sent these larger guides to me directly.

It cost me $40 to return the NRX rod to Shimano-Loomis for repair. I was turned down free return freight for repair.

The NRX854 rod had used 20 lb Sufix braid and 14 lb fluorocarbon leader joined by a Yucatan or mod Albright knot.

Charles

dragon1
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by dragon1 » Sat Mar 31, 2012 8:28 pm

Rfdong wrote:Just curious, seems some people don't like them. I personally don't mind them, and past the looks, there's some benefit to not breaking or bending etc. Thoughts? likes, dislikes? problems? or is it just purely personal preference.
Actually, recoils are DESIGNED to bend/give/recoil & rebound...and yes, they will break. :^o

Again, my thoughts wander as to why a top tier rod model, with a high modulus blank that is more prone to breakage vs a low-modulus blank...would "sport" recoils? So what if you step on your rod and the guides survive...what about the rod/blank?

Maybe I just don't get why anyone who would purchase a high end rod would abuse it in such a manner as to "dictate and justify" the use of Recoils? :-k :roll:
"It is like a finger pointing away to the Moon...don't concentrate on the finger, or you will miss all of that heavenly glory."

Mattman
TT Gear Crew
TT Gear Crew
Location: Fergus Falls, MN - Otterods - Hand Crafted High Performance Fishing Rods

Post by Mattman » Sun Apr 01, 2012 5:55 am

The very first set of Recoils that I ever used were grooved within 6 months of the customer owning the rod.

Very shortly after that I crossed paths with a casual angler in Wisconsin that had grooved guides on a rod with just 2 seasons of angling.

Since then I've heard of several cases of grooved guides, including on fly rods.

The hardness value of the Recoil material is just no where near the hardness value of a mid grade ceramic, much less a high end one.

Some people don't have issues with them. Others, including myself, have had serious issues with them.
Matt Davis
Otterods-High performance fishing rods

Snyder Rods
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Snyder Rods » Sun Apr 01, 2012 8:19 am

Like Matt said above, they can grove - ceramic guides replaced metal in popularity decades ago for this very reason.

Another big selling point for guides without ceramic inserts was the lighter weight. But now that micro guides have become widely available in just a few years time, they don't seem to have much value anymore.

Perhaps they would be good for a more durable kids rod - but pricey.

haoz
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by haoz » Mon Apr 02, 2012 7:28 am

yea, the recoil guides doesn't seem as smooth on the lines either.

i'm always using braid with floro leader and the knot part doesn't seem to go through recoil guides as well as say Ti-SiC guides...

jeb
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by jeb » Mon Apr 02, 2012 10:23 am

I've never had an issue with a recoil guide. I guess I've got 8-10 rods with them attached. But I've never used braid on any of them. Seems that's where folks talk about having problems.

smalljaw
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by smalljaw » Mon Apr 02, 2012 11:49 am

jeb wrote:I've never had an issue with a recoil guide. I guess I've got 8-10 rods with them attached. But I've never used braid on any of them. Seems that's where folks talk about having problems.

I have 2 rods that have the recoils on them also and I have never had a problem but just like jeb, I haven't used them with braid.
Barlow's Tackle

tywithay
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by tywithay » Mon Apr 02, 2012 12:47 pm

Only recoil guides I have tried that I liked were the black ones from the NRX. I don't know if they have some special coating, but they seemed smoother than the old standby recoils. I never used mine with braid, but didn't keep the rod long enough to really test the durability; so I can't say after that.

Mattman
TT Gear Crew
TT Gear Crew
Location: Fergus Falls, MN - Otterods - Hand Crafted High Performance Fishing Rods

Post by Mattman » Mon Apr 02, 2012 2:28 pm

I'll add that neither my customers rod or the rod I mentioned from Wisconsin used braid with their rods.
Matt Davis
Otterods-High performance fishing rods

DavidSA
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by DavidSA » Mon Apr 02, 2012 3:30 pm

I fish braid on the BSR 852 for about 4 to 5 years now with no groves that I can detect. Maybe I have not landed enough big fish :lol:

dragon1
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by dragon1 » Mon Apr 02, 2012 4:49 pm

Abrasion and wear on recoils = debris/grit on the line is what causes this. I imagine that long, hard running gamefish on braid or fuse would also wear out recoils faster than ceramics.
"It is like a finger pointing away to the Moon...don't concentrate on the finger, or you will miss all of that heavenly glory."

Buck2thPerch
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Buck2thPerch » Tue Apr 03, 2012 6:08 am

I have two St. Croix Legend Extreme rods and don't fancy the Recoil Guides with braid at all. I prefer the Sic guides/ inserts found on my Zillion rods over these. I will be selling my Legend extremes shortly.....used them for a year, though I have had no issues with the recoil guides, they are loud with braid and definetly braid to Floro knots have issues with recoil guides. And after a years use of the ACS Reel seats on the St. Croix Legend Extremes.....I hate them....hate them with a passion. Give me a standard Fuji ECS reel seat....sorry for going off topic.

Recoil Guides < Fuji SIC

Period.
Marine General Staff - Duluth MN
**What is fishing?**

USA-RET
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by USA-RET » Tue Apr 03, 2012 6:57 am

No issues with mine. I fish some really trashy water too.
~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~
¿ <°)))))><

JDLaman
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by JDLaman » Tue Apr 03, 2012 8:22 am

I have two rods with Recoils. A Waterloo Slam Mag spinning rod and a Loomis SMR822 GLX. Both of these rods have been used exclusively with braid in saltwater. The Waterloo is going on 5 years old and the Loomis is 6 months old.

I have caught many upper slot Reds on the Waterloo and several this winter on the Loomis. The Recoil guides are in excellent shape on both of these rods.

I also have a buddy that owns two Laguna custom rods with Recoil guides. These two rods are 6 years old, used exclusively with braid in saltwater, and the guides show absolutely no signs of wear.