Dobyn's 766 - Double Duty Rod?

A specialized forum to discuss anything and everything about your favorite or not so favorite fishing rods.
O26A
Angler
Angler

Dobyn's 766 - Double Duty Rod?

Post by O26A » Thu Mar 21, 2013 11:52 am

So i'm looking for a double duty rod. I would like to be able to throw smaller musky baits up to 2.5oz but mostly around the 1.5oz range. But i'd also like to use it for a Frog/Flipping/Pitching rod for bass. I already have a reel Curado 300EJ for it.

Another rod I was looking at is the Pinnacle Perfecta 7'9" heavy

Just curious if anyone has any other brand suggestions. I'd like to have the option to throw both lighter lure like frogs and the heavy stuff as well. I would like to stay under $200.

Later down the road i'll buy a proper frog rod, but for now i'm looking for something that can cover a wide range.

- Rick

StarTzar
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: Dobyn's 766 - Double Duty Rod?

Post by StarTzar » Thu Mar 21, 2013 2:35 pm

Welcome to the TT Forum. You are going to get some very good information here.
(Although Ed gave you some very good advice on FH)
I don't know too much about Musky rods but I know that others here do and It won't take too long for them to chime in.

I'm assuming from your stated budget that you are talking about the Savy 766.
That rod is a flipping stick and the tip is too stiff for throwing frogs.
However, it might be OK for throwing 2.5 oz Musky baits.

wiscmike
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by wiscmike » Thu Mar 21, 2013 3:04 pm

Im makeing the assumption your talking about hollow belly frogs not buzz type.

With that assumption, Im hopeing not to open up a whole can of worms here but.....Yes I believe the 766 could be used for both. This will be on the hvy side for frogs , you will strugle ( at best) if your trying to walk a frog. I would say slop fishing in hvy matted vegatation would be ok. It will be on the light side for musky fishing , but will work with some baits.

Keep in mind the 766 intentions were not really for either of these techniques . The argument will be you need 2 differant rods. You say later down the road you will buy a frog rod. Does that mean the 766 will stay as your musky rod ? I will agree the rod will work , BUT there are much better choices for both if you can go that route. 735 and 736 are hard to beat for frogs.

Lets us know what you end up with and how it works.

BucketHunter
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by BucketHunter » Thu Mar 21, 2013 3:17 pm

Flip/pitch with Curado 300 might be a challenge. Just a heads up. Big spool lots of line=high start up inertia required.
You could double duty the rod with some difficulty, but likely need two different reels, as I assume you won't be musky fishing and frogging for bass at the same time. You can flip and frog, but you won't want to be retying everytime you make a pass at a bed or mat.
Flip rods have shorter handles to facilitate the motion, Musky rods longer to facilitate the cast. A more likely combo would be Musky/Swimbait, and a separate Frog/Flip-if you don't mind retying your frog/jig every few minutes.
The 300 would be an awesome musky/ swimbait reel while something like a 200e would be a good frogging/flipping reel. Make it a great one by upgrading the bearings.
It's like the opposite of Highlander here at TT, there CAN'T only one... :lol:

Somerdink
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Somerdink » Thu Mar 21, 2013 4:00 pm

I would have to say no, because the rod would do it but it's not what its made for. The rod is a very good flipping and frogging rod just wouldn't work for musky gear that good.

civicrr
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by civicrr » Thu Mar 21, 2013 4:27 pm

Honestly, I know nothing about musky fishing. I do know that I wouldn't like to use the 766 for throwing 2 1/2oz swimbaits. I know that it can do it but the rod, being relatively stiff & fast action would make it harder than it needs to be. A stick with a more moderate action and/or a bit more tip would take some of the work out of it. I also believe it would be a better rod to both stick & keep them pinned.

As far as using it for a frog rod....it is plenty powerful enough, that is for sure. It just doesn't have (a soft) enough tip for how I like to fish frogs. I like a tip that will load a bit more. I find this better for casting & working the bait. That being said, I should say that I prefer my frog rod on the softer side. As an example, I prefer to use the Champion 735 over the Champion 736 even though my home water is the California Delta.

As a powerful pitching/flipping/punching stick, the 766 is outstanding. I've used it with weights (plus bait) of 3/8 - 1/1/2oz although more often it is setup with weights of 1 - 1 1/2oz with bait. I'm sure I can use more weight but I haven't needed to. The 766 is just a beast of a rod designed to muscle fish out of heavy cover. As I already stated, it is incredible.

If the question is will it accel for all three uses, I would have to answer no, it will not. On the other hand, if the question is can it be used for all three techniques with some acceptable compromises, then the answer is is yes.

O26A
Angler
Angler

Post by O26A » Fri Mar 22, 2013 6:47 am

Thanks for the answers, it brought to light a bunch of stuff i never thought of. The reel (300EJ) has being tuned up, polished parts and all bearings replaced with boca bearings. So flipping and pitching shouldnt be to bad. But I'm realizing that this will more primarily be used as a musky/pike rod. and have the option to flip/pitch with it when i'm fishing bass.

So that being said, I'm currently leaning towards the pinnacle perfecta 7'9". It has a higher lure rating to toss swimbaits. and most likely in june or july i'll buy a Dobyn's 734 or 735.

has anyone used the Pinnacle rod in either the 7'9" or 7'11" heavy. I believe on the review on this site, it's telescopic. Just curious what peoples thoughts are on this rod.

njbasscat
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by njbasscat » Sat Mar 23, 2013 1:15 pm

O26A wrote:Thanks for the answers, it brought to light a bunch of stuff i never thought of. The reel (300EJ) has being tuned up, polished parts and all bearings replaced with boca bearings. So flipping and pitching shouldnt be to bad. But I'm realizing that this will more primarily be used as a musky/pike rod. and have the option to flip/pitch with it when i'm fishing bass.

So that being said, I'm currently leaning towards the pinnacle perfecta 7'9". It has a higher lure rating to toss swimbaits. and most likely in june or july i'll buy a Dobyn's 734 or 735.

has anyone used the Pinnacle rod in either the 7'9" or 7'11" heavy. I believe on the review on this site, it's telescopic. Just curious what peoples thoughts are on this rod.
This may be out of your price range but if you are looking for a rod that can handle many techniques, than the Megabass X4 Destruction may be that rod. It's quite a bit more than the rods you mention but if you were going to get both the Pinnacle and te Dobyns, the MB Destruction may be in range. Just a thought.