Legend Elite Brown?

A specialized forum to discuss anything and everything about your favorite or not so favorite fishing rods.
CaptBob
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Re: Legend Elite Brown?

Post by CaptBob » Thu May 29, 2014 9:09 am

I have had all three versions of the SCV over the years, they fish pretty much the same,,,,terrific. I would buy one in a heart beat for the right price, and that all depends on condition. remember if you ever have problems or break it 75 bucks upgrades it to the newest model with FRS,ART, IPC you can't go wrong with a Legend Elite, new or used.
Last edited by CaptBob on Thu May 29, 2014 12:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

tywithay
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by tywithay » Thu May 29, 2014 11:53 am

CaptBob wrote:I have had all three versions of the SCV over the years, they fish pretty much the same,,,,terrific. I would buy one in a heart beat for the right price, and that all depends on condition. remember if you ever have problems or break it 75 bucks upgrades it to the newest model with NSI,ART, IPC you can't go wrong with a Legend Elite, new or used.
NSi was discontinued. The new Elite uses FRS. I just got a new one and it's definitely sweet. I think the Extreme blank with TET feels a little more sensitive, but I can't stand the handle and reel seat.

CaptBob
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by CaptBob » Thu May 29, 2014 12:40 pm

tywithay wrote:
CaptBob wrote:I have had all three versions of the SCV over the years, they fish pretty much the same,,,,terrific. I would buy one in a heart beat for the right price, and that all depends on condition. remember if you ever have problems or break it 75 bucks upgrades it to the newest model with NSI,ART, IPC you can't go wrong with a Legend Elite, new or used.
NSi was discontinued. The new Elite uses FRS. I just got a new one and it's definitely sweet. I think the Extreme blank with TET feels a little more sensitive, but I can't stand the handle and reel seat.
Pardon the misprint. Personally, I have a pair of 2012 Extremes I had full cork handles installed with differing amounts of rubberized cork to balance them, but the main reason I like this model year is it had a full reel seat and used Recoil guides. I don't care for the look of Recoil guides and find them rather ugly,,,,,but they are more sensitive than the new model with the K's The recoil guides make so much difference, and are much lighter, I am building this years new rod with them, and on an Elite blank, which I prefer over the Extreme blank's in most power and actions. The difference in sensitivity in the blanks themselves is truly not worth mentioning, and in reality probably only measurable, or noticeable with high tech measuring equipment, as the hardware to build them would be more a deciding factor of which was more sensative, or lighter!! But in my opinion between the 2, you can find as good as there is available for any blank you would want in your arsenal, and absolutely nothing wrong with the earlier brown blank Elite.

dragon1
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by dragon1 » Thu May 29, 2014 1:50 pm

CaptBob wrote:you can find as good as there is available for any blank you would want in your arsenal, and absolutely nothing wrong with the earlier brown blank Elite.
Dude...there ain't nothin' wrong with the first Gen green blanks...IMO, the most crisp in the 6'6" and 7'0" spinning MLF is the first Gen SCV. I have two customs and they feel much different than any of the following gens.

CaptBob
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by CaptBob » Thu May 29, 2014 2:28 pm

dragon1 wrote:
CaptBob wrote:you can find as good as there is available for any blank you would want in your arsenal, and absolutely nothing wrong with the earlier brown blank Elite.
Dude...there ain't nothin' wrong with the first Gen green blanks...IMO, the most crisp in the 6'6" and 7'0" spinning MLF is the first Gen SCV. I have two customs and they feel much different than any of the following gens.
You are so right Dragon, been a while, how you been. Like I said, when it comes to Legend Elite's, there all sweet rods. I must agree with your taste in the MLF especially the 6'6" MLF. I may have an answer to topping your first gen. I am waiting on Rec to put this years rod together. 6'6" 5S66mlf blank with ful cork Handle, Fuji Fly reel seat with cork center and 1.5" foregrip. two tone light dark rings for the handle (7.5" - 8" whatever it takes to balance the 1000FG) and contoured very elegantly. No frills no extra wraps, bare minimum on the guides, Sic tip top with 2-#6, #7, #8, #10, #16" #20 Recoil guides. would have went with the 7' but decided to go with a 1000FG Sustain and I think I would have needed the 2500FG to balance the 7' without extending the handle to much. The black Perl recoil guides will be wrapped in a pastel colored flat olive thread, and the drop shot Ti hook keeper and first guide will get a yellow harvest Gold pastel colored bottom wrap, very thin but just a tad of contrast. The other guides get no accent just the Olive. Enough Flexcoat to secure the wraps and hope'n to end up around 2.5 -2.8 oz. no frills kinda "Rat Rod" but all business!! Hope'n to be under 9 oz with the 1000FG in place spooled with 10# 832 Sufix camo and whatever leader the day calls for.

So anyway I gotta say I like your taste!! This may be my new favorite spinning rod??? I am awful attached to my 6'3" MXF Elite with the 1000FJ Stradic, but I think it is about to become #2???? Time will tell, will post some pic's of the plain Jane "rat rod" when she is done!!! TC!!

dragon1
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by dragon1 » Thu May 29, 2014 3:36 pm

Here you go:

Some fishies on these two Gen 1 SCV customs:

http://forums.tackletour.com/viewtopic. ... al#p279262

http://forums.tackletour.com/viewtopic. ... ut#p222714 (Shad Rap #5 on the 5S70MLF gen 1)

Thaddeus
Angler
Angler

Post by Thaddeus » Sat Jun 14, 2014 3:27 pm

I picked up a Legend Elite brown 66mf spinning rod 2 weeks ago off a guy from craigslist for $180. These babies are hard to come across nowadays. I love it so much that I ordered a couple more elites direct from St Croix. To me they have the most comfortable reel seats. I only fish avids and elites because of the cork. Personally not a fan of the new Tourneys and Xtremes. Now I wish I could find the older Legend Xtreme 69mlxf spinning rod...

wbook01
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by wbook01 » Sun Jun 15, 2014 12:21 am

X2

CaptBob
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by CaptBob » Tue Jun 17, 2014 12:23 pm

Thaddeus wrote:I picked up a Legend Elite brown 66mf spinning rod 2 weeks ago off a guy from craigslist for $180. These babies are hard to come across nowadays. I love it so much that I ordered a couple more elites direct from St Croix. To me they have the most comfortable reel seats. I only fish avids and elites because of the cork. Personally not a fan of the new Tourneys and Xtremes. Now I wish I could find the older Legend Xtreme 69mlxf spinning rod...
Love my Extremes, NOW,,,The contoured smaller handle is the 6'10" MXF the heavier cork is with the extra dark ruberized cork is the 7'2" MHM both handles were done by my rod builder, and cost me 50 bucks each. The heavier dark ruberized cork rings were actually used to balance the rods precisely where I wanted the balance point on each outfit. Pretty cheap considering I only paid $370.00 for the pair new and got a Rage free for buying 2 extremes, I sold the Rage for $120.00 so I got $250.00 in em + $100.00 for the custom handles,,,,whew,,,I wish I could find that deal again!!!Image But 20 years ago when I bought my first Legend Elite I was impressed when I felt a Walleye fart, before that I didn't even know that fish fart!!! ;)

jamesdta
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by jamesdta » Tue Dec 02, 2014 6:34 am

I just scored 6' LF legend elite brown for $150 new . I'm pretty excited about it. I'm thinking small stream trout and crappie, creek bass. Also purchased a revo premier size 10 for $100 to go with it. I'm guessing it will fish more like a ML than L, butt have no idea. We shall see !

dragon1
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by dragon1 » Wed Dec 03, 2014 12:27 pm

jamesdta wrote:I just scored 6' LF legend elite brown for $150 new . I'm pretty excited about it. I'm thinking small stream trout and crappie, creek bass. Also purchased a revo premier size 10 for $100 to go with it. I'm guessing it will fish more like a ML than L, butt have no idea. We shall see !
This blank should fish like a light power (not a mag-light/spin-jig taper like the GLoomis SJR 720 IMX)....the spinning in L and ML fish spot on in my hands, the BCs are a little more powerful than other comparable high end blanks on the market.

Congrats!