Opinion on best rod choice

A specialized forum to discuss anything and everything about your favorite or not so favorite fishing rods.
cherokee ref
Newbie Angler
Newbie Angler

Opinion on best rod choice

Post by cherokee ref » Thu Jun 26, 2014 3:37 am

I would like suggestions on a good choice of rod, under $200, MH to match a Lew's Tournament Pro reel. Thanks.

bronzefly
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: Opinion on best rod choice

Post by bronzefly » Thu Jun 26, 2014 4:32 am

cherokee ref wrote:I would like suggestions on a good choice of rod, under $200, MH to match a Lew's Tournament Pro reel. Thanks.
Have a look at Hammer Rods. We have a lot of customers making the switch to them from several other brands. They're made in the US, have a durable, good quality blank, an excellent warranty, and the owners of the company are good folks that I know personally. With your "TT10" discount code at check out, most models are in the $150 to $160 range shipped!

http://tackletrap.com/index.php?main_pa ... 8_809_1145

finebassfisher
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by finebassfisher » Thu Jun 26, 2014 12:50 pm

Powell max is on sale right now on tackle warehouse or you could pick up a zillion on sale as well. My vote I'd get a Powell endurance.

cherokee ref
Newbie Angler
Newbie Angler

Post by cherokee ref » Sun Jun 29, 2014 12:06 am

FYI, went with a St. Croix Avid 6'6" MHF. Feels nice. Haven't fished it yet, though. After buying, looked at St. Croix website and they said one of best reels to match the rod is the Tournament Pro, so I guessed pretty well!

tywithay
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by tywithay » Sun Jun 29, 2014 12:17 am

What kind of presentations are you looking to use? For anything bottom contact, I'd look at the Kistler KLX. They're easily the most sensitive rod I've used under $200.

CaptBob
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by CaptBob » Sun Jun 29, 2014 2:55 am

cherokee ref wrote:FYI, went with a St. Croix Avid 6'6" MHF. Feels nice. Haven't fished it yet, though. After buying, looked at St. Croix website and they said one of best reels to match the rod is the Tournament Pro, so I guessed pretty well!
The the St. Croix Avid is a great rod and what I have a Tournament Pro on and a Team Lew's Gold, but I liked the longer rods so I went with 7', one is on a MHF and the other is on a MF, in my opinion the Avid rods from St Croix are the best rods built under $250.00, and for under 200 bucks street price, the best rods for the money on the planet. Whether you choose a 6'6" or the 7' you will not be disappointed!! and St. Croix's LIFETIME warranty is unbeatable, with many options if you ever need or want to use it, which is highly doubtful!!

cherokee ref
Newbie Angler
Newbie Angler

Post by cherokee ref » Sun Jun 29, 2014 3:38 am

Thanks everyone. CaptBob, thanks for reinforcing my decision/lucky guess!