Dobyns Extreme HP up on website

A specialized forum to discuss anything and everything about your favorite or not so favorite fishing rods.
pharmboy2010
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Dobyns Extreme HP up on website

Post by pharmboy2010 » Wed Sep 23, 2015 7:05 am

The updated Extreme HP is now up on Dobyns' website. Not the best pics, nor detailed specs of the series and what is different. Also, the 701C Finesse isn't listed as a model. I contacted Dobyns and confirmed that the 701C has been discontinued. They said it just wasn't a big enough seller to continue.

jamesdta
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: Dobyns Extreme HP up on website

Post by jamesdta » Fri Oct 09, 2015 5:38 am

Anyone use the updated rods yet ?

How do they compare to last generation ?

H8R
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by H8R » Fri Oct 09, 2015 5:40 am

They're about 1/2 oz lighter overall, Fuji guides, thinner diameter blanks compared to the older DX (which is certainly welcome).
The cork is said to be better quality ... My DX rods were very underwhelming with the amount of filler in the cork.

phatbass
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by phatbass » Fri Oct 09, 2015 1:58 pm

pharmboy2010 wrote:The updated Extreme HP is now up on Dobyns' website. Not the best pics, nor detailed specs of the series and what is different. Also, the 701C Finesse isn't listed as a model. I contacted Dobyns and confirmed that the 701C has been discontinued. They said it just wasn't a big enough seller to continue.
more details on tackle warehouse

rockchalk06
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by rockchalk06 » Sat Oct 10, 2015 12:30 am

H8R wrote:They're about 1/2 oz lighter overall, Fuji guides, thinner diameter blanks compared to the older DX (which is certainly welcome).
The cork is said to be better quality ... My DX rods were very underwhelming with the amount of filler in the cork.

My first DX was a 745 a few years ago. The cork was the best I've seen to date. That said 4 more DX's later and the cork looks pretty bad. I don't know if I got a gem, or the quality went to hell. Gary claims that these new HP's will be great.

Fishing4Fun
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Fishing4Fun » Sat Oct 10, 2015 5:46 am

Both of my champ extremes have good quality cork and have held up well after a few years of use.

My biggest complaint seems to be a lack of models offered in the new champ extreme casting line. All rods seem to be 3, 4, or 5 powered. Gone are the 1 and 2 powered rods according to what I see on TW. I was set on getting a new DX701 or DX 702 with new changes they made with more of black/orange theme but will have to go another direction ](*,) . One can only hope that they will add some more models in time :-k

pharmboy2010
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by pharmboy2010 » Sat Oct 10, 2015 5:52 am

Fishing4Fun wrote:Both of my champ extremes have good quality cork and have held up well after a few years of use.

My biggest complaint seems to be a lack of models offered in the new champ extreme casting line. All rods seem to be 3, 4, or 5 powered. Gone are the 1 and 2 powered rods according to what I see on TW. I was set on getting a new DX701 or DX 702 with new changes they made with more of black/orange theme but will have to go another direction ](*,) . One can only hope that they will add some more models in time :-k
TW does not have all the models on their site yet. If you check out Dobyns' site, they have all the available models, including the 702 and 742. I did confirm with them that at this time the 701 will not be continued. They said it just wasn't a big enough seller, but if demand was enough that they could possibly add it in the future.

fishingandfords
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by fishingandfords » Sat Oct 10, 2015 7:33 am

rockchalk06 wrote:
H8R wrote:They're about 1/2 oz lighter overall, Fuji guides, thinner diameter blanks compared to the older DX (which is certainly welcome).

My first DX was a 745 a few years ago. The cork was the best I've seen to date. That said 4 more DX's later and the cork looks pretty bad. I don't know if I got a gem, or the quality went to hell. Gary claims that these new HP's will be great.
Must not have used a high end st croix

civicrr
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by civicrr » Sat Oct 10, 2015 10:43 am

I haven't really been able to fish much this year (relatively speaking). Been times when I've missed a whole week...haha. Seriously though, I've been a lot more involved with my daughter's swim team, work, etc, etc. That said, I haven't been posting as much although I've been lurking. It also means I've not ventured out into testing new equipment or going to stores to check them out much either. Part of that was buying a new truck in early summer! New truck = less money to spend.

My resistance to spending weakened recently, I picked up a new Extreme HP DX744. (Keep in mind that I've been very happy with my rods so really felt no need to look at the new HP Extremes.) Construction quality looks great. New butt cap & reel hood look more refined that previous generation. I don't really like the look of rubberized cork but it is durable as all get out. Cork quality, judged by amount of fill, seems better than my older generation Extremes. Less fill and tighter tolerances where the cork meets seat & decorative elements. IMO, graphics look more mature. I like the matte finish & the un-sanded section of blank. Visually, the blank looks slightly thinner e.g. smaller blank diameter. Thread wrap & finish look good. Wraps are tight & there seems to be an appropriate amount of finish applied. (Might be the time to say I also bought a HP DX743 & HP DX745 too. This applies to the three models/examples I now own.) Not that the 'old' Extreme rods had bad wraps at all. I'm just saying that these look really good. I honestly like the move to Fuji guides. Never had a problem with the Kigan guides but....Fuji just seems to be the king.

Now, I've only fished the rod (DX744) one time. That means you need to take my opinion with a grain of salt. I fished the the new HP DX744 side by side with my current DX744. As expected with a Dobyns, balance is very good. Right at the reel nut. Both rods are paired with Curado 200 I reels spooled with 30lb braid & 14lb Gamma leaders. Knot used is a Crazy Alberto for the join & San Diego Jam for the hook. Bait was a 5" senko fished during slack tide when the reaction bite slowed. New HP rod is more sensitive. It also seems to have a faster action & fish a little more powerfully. The rod didn't load as well flinging the 5" weightless senko but IMO, that's okay. I think fishing more powerfully and not loading as well with the 5" senko are because of the slightly faster action.

So.....I'm thinking, based on action & sensitivity, higher modulus materials.......

Like I said, I've been very happy with my current sticks. After my experience fishing the new DX744, I ordered a DX743 & DX745 from TW that day. They got them to me quickly. All I've done with them so far is unwrap them. As mentioned above, they all look good - construction & QC. BTW, smaller diameter is really visually noticeable with the DX745.

rockchalk06
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by rockchalk06 » Sat Oct 10, 2015 11:01 am

fishingandfords wrote:
rockchalk06 wrote:

I have and again it was the best cork grip I've had to date.

Chode
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Chode » Sat Oct 10, 2015 1:01 pm

civicrr wrote: So.....I'm thinking, based on action & sensitivity, higher modulus materials.......
so how noticeable is the sensitivity upgrade? also, given the faster tip, do u feel it's kinda in between a f & xf now? thx

civicrr
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by civicrr » Sat Oct 10, 2015 1:37 pm

Chode wrote:
civicrr wrote: So.....I'm thinking, based on action & sensitivity, higher modulus materials.......
so how noticeable is the sensitivity upgrade? also, given the faster tip, do u feel it's kinda in between a f & xf now? thx
Remember that I've only fished it one time.

The sensitivity is noticeable. It isn't night & day but it is noticeable. I would still term the action of the rod as fast. Long time ago there were some threads discussing how higher modulus rods reacted. My version of the recap they react somewhat stiffly until loaded appropriately.

H8R
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by H8R » Sat Oct 10, 2015 11:03 pm

rockchalk06 wrote:
fishingandfords wrote:
rockchalk06 wrote:

You must have had a unicorn. I've had 5 DX rods and all of them had a good amount of filler in them.

fishingandfords
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by fishingandfords » Sun Oct 11, 2015 3:02 am

H8R wrote:
rockchalk06 wrote:
fishingandfords wrote:
rockchalk06 wrote:

You must have had a unicorn. I've had 5 DX rods and all of them had a good amount of filler in them.
ALl of mine do and not complaining but it's not the best quality cork out there and I know it's getting hard to come by.

I might need to make some room for a HP to compare. I'm torn with which model to start

BigG
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by BigG » Sun Oct 11, 2015 3:56 am

Haven't had a Dobyns in awhile, but was thinking about a DX 701 Friday. Saw this posts and was disappointed the 701 is discontinued. Hard to find longer finesse that isn't whippy.