Help me decide rod for 1/16 + minnow grub

A specialized forum to discuss anything and everything about your favorite or not so favorite fishing rods.
jamesdta
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Help me decide rod for 1/16 + minnow grub

Post by jamesdta » Fri Oct 09, 2015 2:15 am

I can't decide.

Looking for spinning rod for 1/16 jigs and 2" minnow grubs for small bass and trout. Also like throwing 2"+3" senkos. 10 or 6 pound braid with flouro leader. 6 to 7 feet in length.

I'm thinking

Loomis sjr
Legend elites on sale
Les60ulf2
LES66LF2
Major craft corkish cks 662st (solid tip)least expensive

Other suggestions ?
Want to keep it around 200 and under.

Bday present for myself
Thanks in advance for the suggestions

fishindad
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Re: Help me decide rod for 1/16 + minnow grub

Post by fishindad » Fri Oct 09, 2015 4:36 am

Those are baits I also like to throw and don't be fooled, it produces lots of big fish too. I've used the following rods, ranked in order of best to worst (they are all good) in terms of castability and sensitivity:

1. DX701SF - amazing stick for ultrafinesse but out of your price range.
2. Omen Black 7'1"L - sadly, no longer offered in Gen 2 but at $100 this rod was overall almost as good as the Dobyns dollar for dollar.
3. Loomis TSR791 (non-GLX) - this rod is a bit too whippy in the tip IMO but it does have the backbone to handle big bass and trout. The GLX version probably is the ticket but it's also way out of your price range. It was made for 3-5 lb Power Pro and Stradic 1000 reel, billed as their Microline system. There's some youtube vids of Dave Mercer using it with small senkos for smallies you can check out.
4. Avid 7'LF - don't own but my fishing buddy does and I've used it on occasion.

Under $200 there's many more choices but I think you'll need to look at 'entry level' JDM or West Coast sticks (Phenix, Dobyns) since they specialize in light line finesse fishing.

You might try searching and posting under the Ultralight forum for more info.

Fishinfanatic115
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Fishinfanatic115 » Fri Oct 09, 2015 9:05 am

I use a custom MHX Spin Jig 781 for those techniques. Having a custom built may be out of the price range, depending on the builder, but the new Loomis E6X SJR721s seems to be a pretty similar rod. Falls in your price range even at MSRP, going for $180...

arrowslinger1
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by arrowslinger1 » Fri Oct 09, 2015 10:44 am

The PERFECT rod= loomis bronze back 811s

sydaar
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by sydaar » Fri Oct 09, 2015 8:46 pm

I've had the Gloom SJR 721 and have the SJR 720 (which I may be selling) and both are excellent real fun to fish rods; not whippy at all like the TSR rods (IMO). I would think that the 720 would be a better choice for the 1/16 oz jigs you are looking to use. I was thinking that the Gloom smallmouth would also be a good choice but I would look at the SMR 750, think that the 811 may be a little much for 1/16 oz jigs.

Canga-
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Canga- » Sat Oct 10, 2015 10:23 am

i use a major craft ms-x limited 6'5" light/fast for both 1/16th oz jigs/plastics as well as the small senkos (really wish yamamoto, or anyone else for that matter, would bring back the 2" senko...) its a GREAT rod, imo. very sensitive, great components, very very light weight, paired witha c2000hgs vanquish its an absolute blast. rod has handled some pretty nice fish (biggest so far: 21" smallie, and 23" walleye. as well as a probably 25lb carp, that i had to follow down the shoreline, but was a blast!) with no problems, and its light enough to make the smaller fish fun too.

while the ms-x limited is probably out of your price range (roughly 285 plus shipping/customs), i think the speedstyle should be in your price range, and they make a version similar to mine ( i think its 6'4", dont recall offhand)

jcake5
Newbie Angler
Newbie Angler

Post by jcake5 » Wed Oct 14, 2015 6:50 am

1/16 + minnow grub has been a goal of mine for a long time. I have the following rods that have been used for that application.

St. Croix PS60LF Not recommended, good for panfish.
Loomis SMR 811S-SP Tip way to stiff for the combination. I use if 3/16 and 1/4 ounce jigs.
Loomis SR 842-2 GLX Tip is lite, almost perfect, but to little strength/backbone until the bend reaches the 50% length
Loomis SJR 720 Tip is stiff for light biters, but usable. The x-Fast mag-light action is perfect for bass
Fenwick ERR69-L-FS-2 The Perfect Rod for me for this application. Excellent tip and a nice Fast action. This is my all around light action rod for pan fish, bass, and walleye. Wish this would have been the first rod I purchased.

Cheers,
Eric

bronzefly
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by bronzefly » Thu Oct 15, 2015 9:18 pm

Even at 20% off, the Megabass F1-70X4S Hyena Yuki Ito Special is $280 shipped, but it's a great rod for your intended techniques if you happen to get a few extra bucks to treat yourself! Best of luck on the search for the finesse rod and Happy Birthday!

http://tackletrap.com/index.php?main_pa ... ts_id=4087

dhottle
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by dhottle » Fri Oct 16, 2015 3:00 am

bronzefly wrote:Even at 20% off, the Megabass F1-70X4S Hyena Yuki Ito Special is $280 shipped, but it's a great rod for your intended techniques if you happen to get a few extra bucks to treat yourself! Best of luck on the search for the finesse rod and Happy Birthday!

http://tackletrap.com/index.php?main_pa ... ts_id=4087

I was looking at that rod real closely yesterday but opted for a 2016 St Croix legend elite ES70MLF rated at 1/8-3/8. Thanks Tackle Trap.

MaxZmus
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by MaxZmus » Sat Oct 17, 2015 2:59 pm

fishindad wrote:Those are baits I also like to throw and don't be fooled, it produces lots of big fish too. I've used the following rods, ranked in order of best to worst (they are all good) in terms of castability and sensitivity:

1. DX701SF - amazing stick for ultrafinesse but out of your price range.
2. Omen Black 7'1"L - sadly, no longer offered in Gen 2 but at $100 this rod was overall almost as good as the Dobyns dollar for dollar.
3. Loomis TSR791 (non-GLX) - this rod is a bit too whippy in the tip IMO but it does have the backbone to handle big bass and trout. The GLX version probably is the ticket but it's also way out of your price range. It was made for 3-5 lb Power Pro and Stradic 1000 reel, billed as their Microline system. There's some youtube vids of Dave Mercer using it with small senkos for smallies you can check out.
4. Avid 7'LF - don't own but my fishing buddy does and I've used it on occasion.

Under $200 there's many more choices but I think you'll need to look at 'entry level' JDM or West Coast sticks (Phenix, Dobyns) since they specialize in light line finesse fishing.

You might try searching and posting under the Ultralight forum for more info.
I'm with fishindad on the Omen. I've had mine for two years now and its my favorite finesse rod. 10lbs braid and 6 to 10lbs fluoro leaders have been a joy to fish. I was also hoping they would update it with a gen2. I might just pick up one or two more for backup since they don't seem to be in high demand and that usually means it will be axed from the product line. You can get 2 of these with your $200 budget.

fishindad
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by fishindad » Mon Oct 19, 2015 12:44 am

Max,
I contacted 13 and they assured me they will be producing a Gen 3 L spinning rod. Reid thought it would be some time around December so that is very good news!