Phenix Feather 7'1 L Casting

A specialized forum to discuss anything and everything about your favorite or not so favorite fishing rods.
sqhertz
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Phenix Feather 7'1 L Casting

Post by sqhertz » Sat Feb 23, 2019 7:29 pm

Anyone have experience with this particular rod?

Didn't care for the recon models real seat/grip. Is this any better?

Fish lighter than rated?

https://www.phenixrods.com/products/freshwater/feather/

Thanks!

Fishing4Fun
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: Phenix Feather 7'1 L Casting

Post by Fishing4Fun » Sat Feb 23, 2019 8:04 pm

I have one! What are you particularly wanting to know about the rod?

hoohoorjoo
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by hoohoorjoo » Sat Feb 23, 2019 9:23 pm

sqhertz wrote:Didn't care for the recon models real seat/grip. Is this any better?
Thanks!

While I'm not a fan of the SK2 reel seat like the Recon has(or any split reel seat), the Feather's reel seat is much closer to a classic ECS reel seat than that. The Maxim series also has a better reel seat than the Recon imo. That short, fat trigger on the SKS seat feels SO weird! Guess I'm old-school like that.
Try not to let your mind wander. It is much too small to be outside unsupervised.

sqhertz
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by sqhertz » Sun Feb 24, 2019 4:21 am

Fishing4Fun wrote:I have one! What are you particularly wanting to know about the rod?
I was curious about the reel seat, if it fishes true to its ratings and the overall quality.

Fishing4Fun
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Fishing4Fun » Sun Feb 24, 2019 12:44 pm

sqhertz wrote:
Fishing4Fun wrote:I have one! What are you particularly wanting to know about the rod?
I was curious about the reel seat, if it fishes true to its ratings and the overall quality.
The reel seat is something I would have to play with more as I purchased the rod over the winter and we have been locked up so I have not fished it. I can tell you just based on the ratings I think they are all off. The rod does not seem like it would cast under a 1/8 oz as well as the ratings would suggest. The ratings would suggest this would be a good BFS rod but I am not convinced. Rather it would be more of a mag finesse rod. The diameter of the blank is crazy thick where the fore grip is. The rod is crazy light at around 3 oz and the styling is what I would call simply JDM(ish). It feels versatile and the rod should fish ok I just don't think it is going to be a true BFS rod even with an exceptional BFS reel.

We probably have about 1-2 months before the water softens up to fish. I will know more about it then.

My overall unknowns is why is the blank diameter so thick and how low can this rod really cast down to. Can it go beneath 1/8oz? I am not sure...

ss30378
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by ss30378 » Mon Feb 25, 2019 8:35 am

I have this rod and use it as my long open casting (no trees around me) mag bfs rod. It's pretty soft, it can cast down to 1/16 (2g) in a pinch but it's starting to struggle at that weight, id say 2.5g is its bottom limit. I've gone up to 1/4 lipless cranks and it could probably go a little more though I haven't tried.

Freddie
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Freddie » Fri May 26, 2023 9:01 am

Anyone have extended experience with this rod? I'm looking for a good cheburashka rig rod to use with 6# FC. I'm primarily fishing from the river bank and casting as far as I can. Will this rod still have the ooomph to pin fish reliably with a 2 gram Cheb+small EWG hook in a TRD 2.75 " TubeZ?

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LowRange » Sat May 27, 2023 11:03 am

Freddie wrote:
Fri May 26, 2023 9:01 am
Anyone have extended experience with this rod? I'm looking for a good cheburashka rig rod to use with 6# FC. I'm primarily fishing from the river bank and casting as far as I can. Will this rod still have the ooomph to pin fish reliably with a 2 gram Cheb+small EWG hook in a TRD 2.75 " TubeZ?
I would say so based on all the reviews and feedback I have heard on the rod. Its definitely more closely related to a JDM bass BFS rod than a trout wand. That also means I would be highly suspect of its lower end ratings and stick to the middle or around 1/8 oz total weight.

Freddie
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Freddie » Sat May 27, 2023 6:32 pm

Thanks. This might be the one for that 3-5 gram dedicated Cheburashka rig. A 7’ rod is nice for line control and hook sets when wading small rivers.

Hobie-Wan Kenobi
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hobie-Wan Kenobi » Wed May 31, 2023 6:36 pm

The rod will work for that. The taper/power is fairly light but, can still set the hook and bring fish in. The taper will cushion fighting in current quite well.
IG @hobie_wan_kenobi_fishing

Freddie
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Freddie » Tue Jun 06, 2023 9:22 am

Hobie-Wan Kenobi wrote:
Wed May 31, 2023 6:36 pm
The rod will work for that. The taper/power is fairly light but, can still set the hook and bring fish in. The taper will cushion fighting in current quite well.
How does it compare to the Phenix Classic BFS?

Hobie-Wan Kenobi
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hobie-Wan Kenobi » Tue Jun 06, 2023 9:56 am

Freddie wrote:
Tue Jun 06, 2023 9:22 am
Hobie-Wan Kenobi wrote:
Wed May 31, 2023 6:36 pm
How does it compare to the Phenix Classic BFS?
I think Cal will be better suited to answer that. He has been deep diving into many Phenix products lately.
IG @hobie_wan_kenobi_fishing

dennis_rf
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by dennis_rf » Tue Jun 06, 2023 12:21 pm

I have built a custom rod on this blank. For its price, it’s quite nice. Sensitivity is reasonable, weight and balance considering the length too. The only thing that bugs me is it’s lack of recovery speed. I’ve used 4,5 Alconites to keep the guide train light but man, it‘s pretty wobbly. Just sth to keep in mind.
Power is just a bit below an Adrena BFS.

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LowRange » Tue Jun 06, 2023 12:24 pm

I've heard they are a little softer than a true L BFS rod and some guys that have both the L and ML will often opt for the ML for finesse bass baits.