Majorcraft msx

A specialized forum to discuss anything and everything about your favorite or not so favorite fishing rods.
rando
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Majorcraft msx

Post by rando » Tue May 26, 2020 7:20 pm

I am really interested in this line of rods, both finesse and heavy side. I know they have been out for a while but I only found limited info. Which models do you guys own and what do you think about them?

Slazmo
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: Majorcraft msx

Post by Slazmo » Tue May 26, 2020 8:27 pm

I own a few MC rods but the MSX is one I've seen most snapped. A friend owns a BF model and he rates it but he's very cautious with its use.

rando
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by rando » Wed May 27, 2020 6:54 pm

How did they snap?

Slazmo
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Slazmo » Wed May 27, 2020 6:58 pm

All at the tip about 4" from the top runner. Not sure if high sticking or a fragile blank. I was going to buy one silly cheap with a bit missing for a "cod rod" but the guide I needed to fit the blank diameter didn't exist.

All these blanks with super low resin content etc... 😐

ss30378
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by ss30378 » Wed May 27, 2020 7:11 pm

I haven’t had the MSX line but I’ve had the ms-1 American model rods and have 4 of the new days JDM line. The ms-1 line is a China made rod while I believe all the others are made in Vietnam. Build quality has been spot on with both lines.

The ms-1’s that I had were the 7’ medium finesse and the 7’5” MH finesse, they were light and sensitive but a bit tip heavy. I put matagi balancers on them and then they were great.

The 4 days rods I have are the 6’3” UL SFS spinning rod, the 6’5” UL Bfs rod, the 6’5” ML casting rod and 6’9” medium casting rod. I’ve been very impressed with this line, especially for the price. All the casting rods balance at the reel lock nut with light reels and are very light rods overall. 3.25oz for the bfs rod, 3.3oz on the ML and 3.5oz on the Medium. Spinning rod comes in at just under 3oz. I run mono line more often than anything and sensitivity is well beyond the $140ish shipped to my door they have cost. Another bonus with the JDM lines is they come with a rod sock.

I’m sure the msx line and msx limited are awesome but I cannot comment to the durability of them.

Finesse Angler
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Finesse Angler » Wed May 27, 2020 8:26 pm

I enjoy my 6’5” L spinning model a lot. Plenty sensitive and I have horses in a 6.5pb bass as well as a 23lb carp that was foul hooked so I guess durability depends on the model or maybe the user, though I only used 4lb line and 15lb braid to a 6lb leader. I had mine in a full bend fighting that carp for 45minutes.

SAGISI CUST0MS
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by SAGISI CUST0MS » Thu May 28, 2020 8:11 am

I own:
-major craft ms-x limited mlc-65 ul/bf
-major craft ms-x limited mlc-67 l/bf
-major craft ms-x mxc-64 ul/bf
-major craft ms-x mxc-68 ml/bf

Some of the best rods for the price. I put them up there with rods 3 times its cost. I haven't had any defect/breakage issues. Only problem is I believe some models are being discontinued. Been searching daily for a spare major craft ms-x limited mlc-65 ul/bf with no luck.

rando
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by rando » Thu May 28, 2020 12:36 pm

Days looks very interesting and affordable. I am seriously thinking about trying a heavy powered rod from majorcraft. I was really thinking about msx, but maybe I could start with days.

I have 1 corzza 6'5" spinning ml and the rod itself is great but for a spinning rod it is a tad too short for me.

poisonokie
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by poisonokie » Thu Jun 11, 2020 9:29 am

I have every one of the casting models besides the 76BB and, well, that should speak for itself. I do everything from 1/32 crappie jigs to 3oz swimbaits. Excellent rods.

The only issue I've had is the foam grip came loose on my frog rod and I had to super glue the ends down to keep it from spinning around the blank. The sensitivity, tapers, components, blanks, everything is top notch. Each one is very versatile, too. It doesn't really matter what technique you want to fish, so long as the lure/line weights fall within the ratings. That said, if you go with the UL, it's best to stick to trebles or exposed UL wire hooks. It can be hard to get a hook set out of say, a weightless t rigged roboworm.

If you get them from Shimreels, you'll get them quickly and well packaged. I think people on here got sick of me talking about them, but I can't help it. I highly, highly recommend them. If you have any questions about a specific model, I'll be glad to go into exquisite detail about it.

Edit: Oh, BTW, they're all perfectly balanced. The only one that's at all tip heavy is the frog rod because the handle is a little shorter to make walking the dog easier. It has a bigger foregrip, too, which I have found useful more than once.
This is the way.

ss30378
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by ss30378 » Thu Jun 11, 2020 7:53 pm

Just added the MC days 6’9” MH that comes in at 3.55oz and the 7’ heavy that comes in at 4.0oz. Excellent feel and balanced on both models.