Confirmed new Nrx coming out !!

A specialized forum to discuss anything and everything about your favorite or not so favorite fishing rods.
freelancer27
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Re: Confirmed new Nrx coming out !!

Post by freelancer27 » Sun Jul 25, 2021 9:12 am

I just got my new 893c yesterday (it was a warranty replacement for an old model 893c where the reel seat broke).

So far my impressions are so so. I feel that they look worst than the model they replaced. I understand why they did not due the blue guide wrapping in the top guides (to make it easier to replace guides by non Gloomis shops), but I feel that this takes away from the esthetics of the rod.
Also the area above the reel seat could have been designed a bit better in my opinion. It looks cheap. I hoped that they would use the Gloomis logo (skeleton bass) and reduce the amount of printing (the NRX + logo is just too big for my taste).

Also the craftsmanship is as bad as the previous one. Some guide wrapping was not done cleanly and at one section the epoxy had a little sharp dent near the reel seat. It sucks, but I dont want to send it in again to wait another 2 months for another one (which most likely will not be perfect either).

I just dont understand this. Gloomis chooses to assemble their rods here in the USA (which I support) and hence charges a premium price for their product.
But why am I getting now an inferior product (when compared with China produced Megabass products)?

St.Croix (also USA assembled) does this better.

The reel seat feels slightly better than the old one, but to me it is not a major difference.

The major upset is the placement of the hook keeper. Just sucks!

I use the rod with my Antares MGL and I subjectively can not feel much of a difference in balance. If all, to me (this is hard to compare since I sent the old 893c in more than 2 months ago..) the latest rod feels slightly heavier in weight.

Powerwise (again hard to judge), the newer version feels slightly more powerful in the tip.

Havent fished it yet, so will report if I can detect further differences, once that is done.

Cheers!

SteveSchmelzle
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by SteveSchmelzle » Sun Jul 25, 2021 11:50 am

at least you don't have to worry about the reel seat failing...

how old was the nrx you replaced due to the failed reel seat? I thought they finally got that under control?
1-2%

freelancer27
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by freelancer27 » Sun Jul 25, 2021 3:42 pm

SteveSchmelzle wrote:
Sun Jul 25, 2021 11:50 am
at least you don't have to worry about the reel seat failing...

how old was the nrx you replaced due to the failed reel seat? I thought they finally got that under control?
I had purchased the rod in March 2021 and fished the rod maybe for 4 weeks total.

SteveSchmelzle
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by SteveSchmelzle » Sun Jul 25, 2021 4:11 pm

that's embarrassing.

that is the sole reason for the NRX+

It isn't a better rod. Just a different reel seat.

This is to replace a reel seat that shimano swore was never defective. Probably the biggest, thickest bullsh*t shimano has tried to sell.
1-2%

DrTrevorkian
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by DrTrevorkian » Sun Jul 25, 2021 5:51 pm

Ummm, aren’t these significantly lighter and stronger due to the same blank technology borrowed from the Conquest line, but now using NRX graphite and resin? Seems like a no-brainer, big deal change to me. And I offed all my NRX’s due to reel seats, hook keeper placement, and discontinuation of the fast actions… to find the new iteration fixing all my gripes plus a better, lighter blank! Pretty damn good for an American-made factory stick in my book…

Rodster14
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Rodster14 » Mon Jul 26, 2021 5:57 am

I agree with most of Freelancers points. However, the reel seat and balance are much better in my opinion. Craftsmanship is maybe a littler better, still not what it ought to be. I despise the hook keeper. The rod weights (873CRR and 872s) are the same as the previous models, but balancer better. It looks like many of the models are out of stock until Christmas. I’m always in search of the best jig and worm rods and for now, this is probably still it. The Destroyers seem susceptible to breakage issues and the new Steez does not look too good to me. Looks like a Zodias.
Last edited by Rodster14 on Mon Jul 26, 2021 9:07 am, edited 1 time in total.

Thunderblack1984
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Thunderblack1984 » Mon Jul 26, 2021 8:50 am

freelancer27 wrote:
Sun Jul 25, 2021 9:12 am

I just dont understand this. Gloomis chooses to assemble their rods here in the USA (which I support) and hence charges a premium price for their product.
But why am I getting now an inferior product (when compared with China produced Megabass products)?

Cheers!
Replaced all NRX rods for AGS rods due to this and other reasons. Love Shimano but these are not $600 quality rods in my opinion.
Philippians 4:6

CFDoc
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by CFDoc » Mon Jul 26, 2021 12:57 pm

Rodster14 wrote:
Mon Jul 26, 2021 5:57 am
The Destroyers seem susceptible to breakage issues
The P5's?

Didn't know this. I've got three of them now. No issues to date though. I'd be crushed if I broke a P5. Especially my X-bites.

Rodster14
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Rodster14 » Mon Jul 26, 2021 1:06 pm

CfDOc, I know what you you mean. I have owned several Orochis (including a Whipsnake now), but never a Destroyer. I might be off base on the Destroyers, but it has been mentioned on this and other forums. A tackle shop where I buy a lot of rods echoed the same sentiment. I might still buy one at some point, but with the warranty on Megabass, I would be a little more nervous.

SteveSchmelzle
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by SteveSchmelzle » Mon Jul 26, 2021 1:54 pm

Thunderblack1984 wrote:
Mon Jul 26, 2021 8:50 am
freelancer27 wrote:
Sun Jul 25, 2021 9:12 am

Cheers!
Replaced all NRX rods for AGS rods due to this and other reasons. Love Shimano but these are not $600 quality rods in my opinion.
agreed.

imagine they cost $900 bucks, like they do up here!
1-2%

heyitzpetah
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by heyitzpetah » Mon Jul 26, 2021 5:00 pm

I was going to get an NRX, but reading the comments about defects on a 600$+ rod has me worried... :shock:

HobeyBaker
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by HobeyBaker » Mon Jul 26, 2021 5:04 pm

St Croix craftsmanship is way down too. I heard recently that they have been calling custom rod makers and trying to get them to do rod repairs.

The build quality on the 872 I purchased is better than the 5 OG NRXs I have or had at one point. Is it a Megabass build quality? No, but I’m buying these rods for the blank. If Loomis decided to sell blanks again, I bet most on this forum would go the custom route.

TravisNY
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by TravisNY » Mon Jul 26, 2021 5:28 pm

HobeyBaker wrote:
Mon Jul 26, 2021 5:04 pm
St Croix craftsmanship is way down too. I heard recently that they have been calling custom rod makers and trying to get them to do rod repairs.

The build quality on the 872 I purchased is better than the 5 OG NRXs I have or had at one point. Is it a Megabass build quality? No, but I’m buying these rods for the blank. If Loomis decided to sell blanks again, I bet most on this forum would go the custom route.
Agreed. I picked up the 901 a couple weeks ago and I much prefer it to the original and I caught a ton of smallmouth on the original. Picked up two 872s tonight.

Jrob
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Jrob » Tue Jul 27, 2021 5:32 pm

I understand some of the issues with quality control. Hit or miss in my experience with Gloomis. I continue to buy because I love their actions and performance! I have 4 NRX+ now. Haha

_diggy_
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by _diggy_ » Tue Jul 27, 2021 5:38 pm

Jrob wrote:
Tue Jul 27, 2021 5:32 pm
I understand some of the issues with quality control. Hit or miss in my experience with Gloomis. I continue to buy because I love their actions and performance! I have 4 NRX+ now. Haha
=D>
Which models? I like to live through others and their spending habits. :lol: