Confirmed new Nrx coming out !!

A specialized forum to discuss anything and everything about your favorite or not so favorite fishing rods.
GeraldT
Angler
Angler

Re: Confirmed new Nrx coming out !!

Post by GeraldT » Mon Sep 13, 2021 6:26 am

Drakestar wrote:
Sun Sep 12, 2021 6:59 pm
Any NRX is going to be a clear upgrade over an Orochi. The sensitivity delta between an NRX and a P5 is much more marginal, though. (That said, a 2-power NRX is going to be lighter than a Megabass F3.5 like the Windbuster, so the NRX will have more feel by design…)
Ya that makes sense.
You say marginal between the P5 and NRX so do you think it’s worth the upgrade, or should I save my money because it wouldn’t be as noticeable?

Thanks

Drakestar
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Drakestar » Mon Sep 13, 2021 10:43 am

GeraldT wrote:
Mon Sep 13, 2021 6:26 am
Drakestar wrote:
Any NRX is going to be a clear upgrade over an Orochi. The sensitivity delta between an NRX and a P5 is much more marginal, though. (That said, a 2-power NRX is going to be lighter than a Megabass F3.5 like the Windbuster, so the NRX will have more feel by design…)
Ya that makes sense.
You say marginal between the P5 and NRX so do you think it’s worth the upgrade, or should I save my money because it wouldn’t be as noticeable?

Thanks
I think if you ask 5 different people their opinion on that you'll get 5 different answers ranging from "NRX is still the gold standard and the P5 doesn't come close" to "I sold all my NRX for a collection of Destroyers because they're just as sensitive and much nicer/better built".

Personally, I think the NRX is a bit more sensitive still, but not by a lot - you'll notice it in side-by-side comparisons but you forget about it when you're just in the flow and just fishing. So... :-k

GeraldT
Angler
Angler

Post by GeraldT » Mon Sep 13, 2021 6:57 pm

Drakestar wrote:
Mon Sep 13, 2021 10:43 am
GeraldT wrote:
Drakestar wrote:
Ya that makes sense.

Thanks
I think if you ask 5 different people their opinion on that you'll get 5 different answers ranging from "NRX is still the gold standard and the P5 doesn't come close" to "I sold all my NRX for a collection of Destroyers because they're just as sensitive and much nicer/better built".

Personally, I think the NRX is a bit more sensitive still, but not by a lot - you'll notice it in side-by-side comparisons but you forget about it when you're just in the flow and just fishing. So... :-k
You’re absolutely right about people’s opinions.
I think I’ll just save my money for now considering the sensitivity is close enough.

Appreciate the help

Chode
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Chode » Mon Sep 13, 2021 7:45 pm

Drakestar wrote:
GeraldT wrote:
Drakestar wrote:
Ya that makes sense.

Thanks

I'm the 6th person. I sold all my NRXs n got an arsenal of ugly sticks cause theyre just as sensitive. 😂

Dan B
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Dan B » Tue Sep 14, 2021 9:38 am

Drakestar wrote:
GeraldT wrote:
Drakestar wrote:
Ya that makes sense.

Thanks

I think a lot of it is what you're familiar with too. The NRX was the gold standard for so long and people will continue to stick with that concept, just as Megabass people will continue to use those rods for the JDM feel/craftsmanship that you can't really get from other rod companies besides maybe Daiwa. I tend to not play favorites and like to Buy/Try/Sell as many rods as I can and have done so for many years. Pretty much all the big boy brands except St Croix.

With the current rods on the market, and after fishing the P5 X-bites/Windbuster, various NRX/NRX+ models, and a couple Steez AGS rods all next to each other on the deck, IMO the NRX/NRX+ is not the most sensitive line on the mark anymore.
Other brands aside, I also don't feel that upgrading from an NRX to a NRX+ is even worth it unless it's specifically a spinning model. You're paying extra money just for Shimano technology that results in a slightly crisper blank. Yes the blanks "feel stronger" because of this stuff too, but I have also never blown up a NRX either so to each their own. The spinning models are the only reason I could possibly see a person wanting to upgrade for a large improvement. The Conquest style handle is actually very nice and a big improvement over the old models. This is why the only NRX/NRX+ rod I will be keeping from here on out will be the NRX+ 852s, and it's only for the handle and its versatility, not its sensitivity.

P5 X-bites, AGS 6'9 Target sniper, AGS 7'3 MH Utility Player are what I currently have left and will not be selling any time soon. These three rods have just out performed the field in so many ways, that the decision to sell my NRX rods was easy and originally that wasn't the plan. Yet, I have no regrets. I will say that the NRX+ and P5 rods are very close to each other in sensitivity, but the P5 has a much better reel seat/lock nut design. The NRX+ models do seem to have a much better "attention to detail" when it comes to craftmanship compared to the previous NRX models. As far as the new 2021 Steez AGS rod line... IMO it is the new standard of sensitivity. I'm sure people wont agree as everyone has their own preferences, but they just blow my mind every time I use them and over time I just started leaving my NRX rods in the garage. The fit/finish is perfect, they are stupid light, incredibly sensitive, etc... the only time I will use the X-bites over these if for the taper/length for pitching jigs that I can't get from the 6'9 Target sniper (jig skipping rod). The 7'3 Utility Player is very versatile, however it's my dedicated T-rig rod from here on out.

With all that said, we all spend way too much money on fishing gear and honestly it's all great stuff... but the best bang for the buck model is still the Expride, lmao. Thank god my lady lets me get away with this crap.

GeraldT
Angler
Angler

Post by GeraldT » Thu Sep 16, 2021 9:22 pm

Dan B wrote:
Tue Sep 14, 2021 9:38 am
Drakestar wrote:
GeraldT wrote:
Drakestar wrote:
Ya that makes sense.

Thanks

I think a lot of it is what you're familiar with too. The NRX was the gold standard for so long and people will continue to stick with that concept, just as Megabass people will continue to use those rods for the JDM feel/craftsmanship that you can't really get from other rod companies besides maybe Daiwa. I tend to not play favorites and like to Buy/Try/Sell as many rods as I can and have done so for many years. Pretty much all the big boy brands except St Croix.

With the current rods on the market, and after fishing the P5 X-bites/Windbuster, various NRX/NRX+ models, and a couple Steez AGS rods all next to each other on the deck, IMO the NRX/NRX+ is not the most sensitive line on the mark anymore.
Other brands aside, I also don't feel that upgrading from an NRX to a NRX+ is even worth it unless it's specifically a spinning model. You're paying extra money just for Shimano technology that results in a slightly crisper blank. Yes the blanks "feel stronger" because of this stuff too, but I have also never blown up a NRX either so to each their own. The spinning models are the only reason I could possibly see a person wanting to upgrade for a large improvement. The Conquest style handle is actually very nice and a big improvement over the old models. This is why the only NRX/NRX+ rod I will be keeping from here on out will be the NRX+ 852s, and it's only for the handle and its versatility, not its sensitivity.

P5 X-bites, AGS 6'9 Target sniper, AGS 7'3 MH Utility Player are what I currently have left and will not be selling any time soon. These three rods have just out performed the field in so many ways, that the decision to sell my NRX rods was easy and originally that wasn't the plan. Yet, I have no regrets. I will say that the NRX+ and P5 rods are very close to each other in sensitivity, but the P5 has a much better reel seat/lock nut design. The NRX+ models do seem to have a much better "attention to detail" when it comes to craftmanship compared to the previous NRX models. As far as the new 2021 Steez AGS rod line... IMO it is the new standard of sensitivity. I'm sure people wont agree as everyone has their own preferences, but they just blow my mind every time I use them and over time I just started leaving my NRX rods in the garage. The fit/finish is perfect, they are stupid light, incredibly sensitive, etc... the only time I will use the X-bites over these if for the taper/length for pitching jigs that I can't get from the 6'9 Target sniper (jig skipping rod). The 7'3 Utility Player is very versatile, however it's my dedicated T-rig rod from here on out.

With all that said, we all spend way too much money on fishing gear and honestly it's all great stuff... but the best bang for the buck model is still the Expride, lmao. Thank god my lady lets me get away with this crap.
Great break down.

HobeyBaker
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by HobeyBaker » Wed Nov 03, 2021 8:35 pm

I picked up a 822 DSR. It is 6 grams lighter (89 vs 95) than my original NRX 822. The rod also has the guide train about a half an inch closer to the tip and the spool is at the same distance from the butt. I'm not sure if the spacing is supposed to be the same or not, but it was obvious when I placed them in my rod rack next to each other. The balance point on each rod is at the same exact location.

Drakestar
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Drakestar » Wed Nov 03, 2021 9:53 pm

HobeyBaker wrote:
Wed Nov 03, 2021 8:35 pm
I picked up a 822 DSR. It is 6 grams lighter (89 vs 95) than my original NRX 822. The rod also has the guide train about a half an inch closer to the tip and the spool is at the same distance from the butt. I'm not sure if the spacing is supposed to be the same or not, but it was obvious when I placed them in my rod rack next to each other. The balance point on each rod is at the same exact location.
Would love to hear some comparisons on how they fish side-by-side. I was considering that upgrade earlier this year but didn’t pull the trigger.

HobeyBaker
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by HobeyBaker » Thu Nov 04, 2021 6:11 pm

I weighed my 872 model and it was 3.35 oz.

HobeyBaker
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by HobeyBaker » Wed Nov 10, 2021 9:22 am

What are everyone's thoughts on the ned rig rod? How does the taper compare to the 822 DSR, 852, and 872 models?

DrTrevorkian
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by DrTrevorkian » Wed Nov 10, 2021 9:53 am

HobeyBaker wrote:
Wed Nov 10, 2021 9:22 am
What are everyone's thoughts on the ned rig rod? How does the taper compare to the 822 DSR, 852, and 872 models?
I’d like to add the 901 to that list, for my own personal knowledge, if anyone can compare?

HobeyBaker
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by HobeyBaker » Wed Nov 10, 2021 12:39 pm

I asked Gussy on IG about the rod. He said it's similar to the 822, but lighter in power. He said to go 872 or 852 if you're not using light wire hooks on your Neds. I was looking at this rod for small jerkbaits like a 78 Pointer and he thought it would be killer for them.

BRONZEBACK32
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by BRONZEBACK32 » Wed Nov 10, 2021 5:47 pm

I would not use the 901 for 78 jerkbaits, if that is what you are talking about....

For ned rigs its amazing.

HobeyBaker
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by HobeyBaker » Wed Nov 10, 2021 6:12 pm

BRONZEBACK32 wrote:
Wed Nov 10, 2021 5:47 pm
I would not use the 901 for 78 jerkbaits, if that is what you are talking about....

For ned rigs its amazing.
We’re talking about 821 Ned rig rod. I use a 872 for ned rigs and wasn’t really considering the 821 for that technique. I was thinking the 821 would be good for small husky jerks and 78 pointers.

FWIW, Josh Douglas thinks it’s a shorter 901. The 901 and 822 DSR are completely different to me. The 822 has a quick tip that transitions into a parabolic bend whereas the 901 is completely parabolic.

DrTrevorkian
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by DrTrevorkian » Thu Nov 11, 2021 2:31 am

I was just wondering how the 821 compares overall. The note above that somebody feels it’s a shorter 901 is what I would expect, just wanted confirmation.

And yeah, not for jerkbaits - definitely neds, finesse jigs, walleye drop shot. Well, maybe a size 6 x-rap, on a Canada fly-in, just because… ha!