Finesse spinning rods.. What's your first choice?

A specialized forum to discuss anything and everything about your favorite or not so favorite fishing rods.
fishonsc
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: Finesse spinning rods.. What's your first choice?

Post by fishonsc » Tue Nov 17, 2020 9:13 am

Do not hear much about them but I have been using a Daiwa BLX 6'10 light with a Daiwa certate lt. Have been really impressed with this rod. It is light and sensitive. Been thinking about picking up the medium light. I have another Daiwa certate lt looking for a home.

bronzefly
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by bronzefly » Tue Nov 17, 2020 9:32 am

fishonsc wrote:
Tue Nov 17, 2020 9:13 am
Do not hear much about them but I have been using a Daiwa BLX 6'10 light with a Daiwa certate lt. Have been really impressed with this rod. It is light and sensitive. Been thinking about picking up the medium light. I have another Daiwa certate lt looking for a home.
Agreed. The BLX rods are under appreciated in general and those two spinning rods are real gems. There is only one model in that whole series that isn't really impressive. If you like the 610L, you'll really enjoy the ML.
www.tackletrap.com
facebook.com/tackletrap

Steffen_82
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Steffen_82 » Sun Nov 22, 2020 6:06 pm

I don‘t mind at all. I came across Raid Japan Rods by accident. I had a friend from Japan who stayed over at my place for an entire summer and he brought the gladiator technix bounty killer with him. At that time i had just started to convert from spinning gear to casting gear. I had fully committed to daiwa / mb reels on megabass rods exclusively. However I got into bfs fishing pretty quickly and picked up my first Raid ( bounty killer). At that time there weren‘t that many bfs rods with a solid tip available. I did not like the air beam on the Daiwa Steez hermit ( other than that great rod) the x4 orochi the hedgehog was too weak and i did not like the poison adrena at all. I liked the fact that no one was fishing raid japan rods back home and the simple and subtile design appealed to me big time. I picked up the light feelips and cover technica shortly after that and had my bfs perch set up completed. Unfortunately i realized i needed at least one spinning rod for drop shot applications and the phase 3 megabass was just not doing it for me. Very crisp but the quality was not justifying the price tag so i picked up my first solidtip Raid spinning. Fishing saltwater occasionally i was looking for something with a little more power and i grabbed the Navigator.
Phenomenal rod!! I tried the older MB phase 2 rods but they were just a bit to soft. I know in the states a lot of ppl prefer more limber rods for drop shot but i like mine a bit more crisp. When i came to the states i needed more spinnings to variate my drop shot set ups ( weight and lure size according to depth vegetation)
I picked up another rod which was the snapback. Lastly i got my hands on a bite connection which was too much of a deal to pass.
The operator is the most sensitive rod due to the solid tip.
I use that one mainly for weightless worm applications like a neko rigged weightless thin senko. Must have at my local lake in the post spawn. The snap back and bite connection are very similar except the length. Snap back is my go to for ned rigs and light drop shot at short distance when distance or depth increases i go with the bite connection ( 1/4 oz and 4.5 inch worms sometimes 6 inch on the bite connection). If i have to fish slightly larger worms or 3/8 oz weights in more that 20 ft the navigator is the goto. Back in the days those rods were hard to acquire but these days they pop up for decent prices in JP.
For my onetens i use the raid bandiera. Soft tip and a ton of backbone. My moving bait rod and weightless 5-6 inch senko rod is the transporter. If i fish the shore and need to cast far with carolina and t rigs i ll grab the slugger. For pitching cover such as reeds or fishing frogs i ll grab my aze kills.
The feelips is my bc ned rig finesse jerkbait ( shading x 55) and finesse jigs and rigs 3/16 oz.
bounty killer is my rig rod up to 1/4 oz plus trailer and in saltwater for finesse swimbaits like the Flash j for spotted bay bass.
The cover technica is as the name suggests a finesse cover rod but i use it as a jig / rig rod up to 3/8 oz plus trailer.
Many guys who tried it mentioned its not a great rod for casting bigger distances but i found paired with an og steez and a MB honeycomb it casts a country mile. It stands out due to the shorter solid tip which provides plenty sensitivity followed by plenty of backbone which is close to a mh rod in a medium rod.

Hope this helps a little bit. If you have further questions shoot me a message.
Last edited by Steffen_82 on Thu Dec 03, 2020 6:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Polkfish1
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Polkfish1 » Tue Nov 24, 2020 6:29 pm

Steffen_82 wrote:
Sun Nov 22, 2020 6:06 pm
I don‘t mind at all. I came across Raid Japan Rods by accident. I had a friend from Japan who stayed over at my place for an entire summer and he brought the gladiator technix bounty killer with him. At that time i had just started to convert from spinning gear to casting gear. I had fully committed to daiwa / mb reels on megabass rods exclusively. However I got into bfs fishing pretty quickly and picked up my first Raid ( bounty killer). At that time there weren‘t that many bfs rods with a solid tip available. I did not like the air beam on the Daiwa Steez hermit ( other than that great rod) the x4 orichi the hedgehog was too weak and i did not like the poison adrena at all. I liked the fact that no one was fishing raid japan rods back home and the simple and subtile design appealed to me big time. I picked up the light feelips and cover technica shortly after that and had my bfs perch set up completed. Unfortunately i realized i needed at least one spinning rod for drop shot applications and the phase 3 megabass was just not doing it for me. Very crisp but the quality was not justifying the price tag so i picked up my first solidtip Raid spinning. Fishing saltwater occasionally i was looking for something with a little more power and i grabbed the Navigator.
Phenomenal rod!! I tried the older MB phase 2 rods but they were just a bit to soft. I know in the states a lot of ppl prefer more limber rods for drop shot but i like mine a bit more crisp. When i came to the states i needed more spinnings to variate my drop shot set ups ( weight and lure size according to depth vegetation)
I picked up another rod which was the snapback. Lastly i got my hands on a bite connection which was too much of a deal to pass.
The operator is the most sensitive rod due to the solid tip.
I use that one mainly for weightless worm applications like a neko rigged weightless thin senko. Must have at my local lake in the post spawn. The snap back and bite connection are very similar except the length. Snap back is my go to for ned rigs and light drop shot at short distance when distance or depth increases i go with the bite connection ( 1/4 oz and 4.5 inch worms sometimes 6 inch on the bite connection). If i have to fish slightly larger worms or 3/8 oz weights in more that 20 ft the navigator is the goto. Back in the days those rods were hard to acquire but these days they pop up for decent prices in JP.
For my onetens i use the raid bandiera. Soft tip and a ton of backbone. My moving bait rod and weightless 5-6 inch senko rod is the transporter. If i fish the shore and need to cast far with carolina and t rigs i ll grab the slugger. For pitching cover such as reeds or fishing frogs i ll grab my aze kills.
The feelips is my bc ned rig finesse jerkbait ( shading x 55) and finesse jigs and rigs 3/16 oz.
bounty killer is my rig rod up to 1/4 oz plus trailer and in saltwater for finesse swimbaits like the Flash j for spotted bay bass.
The cover technica is as the name suggests a finesse cover rod but i use it as a jig / rig rod up to 3/8 oz plus trailer.
Many guys who tried it mentioned its not a great rod for casting bigger distances but i found paired with an og steez and a MB honeycomb it casts a country mile. It stands out due to the shorter solid tip which provides plenty sensitivity followed by plenty of backbone which is close to a mh rod in a medium rod.

Hope this helps a little bit. If you have further questions shoot me a message.
I’m benefiting from someone else having asked. Anyway, thanks for the write up. I’ve also been curious about Raid. Any clue who makes their blanks? In house?

Steffen_82
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Steffen_82 » Tue Nov 24, 2020 7:00 pm

I honestly dont know. I am not into all the tech stuff. From what buddy in Japan told me is that takeshi kanamori used to work under Yuki Ito in the rod building department of MB especially for the hand made series ARMS. At some point they parted ways and Kanamori started Raid. Not sure how much truth is in that but i can tell you I love the Raid Japan blanks. I have not tried the Anti series and probably wont except one spinning rod i want for the bay. I will however pick up the new maximum casting rods. Looking at the specs they look intriguing. The only thing holding me back currently is the price tag and the very limited availability. Probably mid next year i ll have those 2 ( bishop and the maxx)

rando
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by rando » Wed Nov 25, 2020 9:31 am

Thanks for the write up. I will be on the lookout for them.

StymoDe
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by StymoDe » Wed Nov 25, 2020 1:31 pm

everytime when I read this level of details I feel blessed...

for someone loves JDM gears with limited budget, I often found myself torn in between all the options... but enjoying it however.

nfnband
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by nfnband » Wed Dec 09, 2020 9:33 am

The Raid Japan Gladiator Technics GT-67ML looks like the rod I'm looking for but $500 is insanity. I'll wait for a GLX or even an IMX version with a warranty.

HobeyBaker
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by HobeyBaker » Tue Dec 15, 2020 8:21 am

I’m a finesse rod junkie living up in smallmouth country. My rods include:

NRX 901
NRX 852
NRX 822 DSR
Steez AGS 7’6 MML x 2

I find that the 901 is basically a rod only for throwing hair jigs. I also use it in the spring to throw small floating Rapalas for walleyes.

The 852 is used for close quarters fishing and is great for a variety of techniques ranging from Neds, shakey heads, light jig worms, Neko, etc. The rod has electric sensitivity. This is the rod I recommend to my friends who want one high end spinning rod. If you like a little slower action with a more parabolic bend, then I would recommend a MB Addermine which is another very versatile finesse rod.

The 822 is a specialized drop shot rod and has a very nice tip for drop shot fishing. It could also handle a variety of other techniques but not as good as the 852.

The Steez is the rod I pull out for everything except hair jigs and vertical drop shot if I’m fishing offshore. It really excels at everything and is awesome with small swim baits like 2.8 keitechs. Daiwa knocked it out of the park with this rod. Paired with 4000 Exists and I don’t think you can get a better combo.

hookfynn
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by hookfynn » Wed Dec 16, 2020 11:27 am

7' steez ags med/light, hands down. i have 2 :big grin:

TravisNY
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by TravisNY » Wed Dec 16, 2020 1:02 pm

Like Hobey I fish smallmouth. I have and have used a ton in the past 35+ years of doing it and fish finesse (lighter than most) a ton. Impossible to pick one. I’ve got grub rods, 1/32 Ned rods, 1/16 oz Ned rods, 1/16 marabou rods, small tube rod, heavier tube rod on and on.

I will say I would like to vote for a mag light (zero) in the Conquest or new NRX. I would preorder one yesterday. I’ve got yet another Stella FJ that needs to get out of the box.
Team flannel, overtime and promotion.

eyra_kid
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by eyra_kid » Wed Dec 16, 2020 1:46 pm

TravisNY wrote:
Wed Dec 16, 2020 1:02 pm
Like Hobey I fish smallmouth. I have and have used a ton in the past 35+ years of doing it and fish finesse (lighter than most) a ton. Impossible to pick one. I’ve got grub rods, 1/32 Ned rods, 1/16 oz Ned rods, 1/16 marabou rods, small tube rod, heavier tube rod on and on.

I will say I would like to vote for a mag light (zero) in the Conquest or new NRX. I would preorder one yesterday. I’ve got yet another Stella FJ that needs to get out of the box.
You do fish some light stuff, Travis. And I get why with your type of fishing. I have a tough time liking anything below a 2-power Loomis. Give me a sjr 782, if I could have only one rod. I am really liking the 7' medium zodias, as someone mentioned earlier. 2500 Ci4+ spooled with 4lb Crystal, and I'm casting 1/15 to 1/10 jigheads with ease. My walleye and crappie go-to for casting.

karirick
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by karirick » Wed Dec 16, 2020 2:49 pm

TravisNY wrote:
Wed Dec 16, 2020 1:02 pm

New NRX info is out there? Or wishful thinking lol?

Would love a full cork NRX spinning.

Rick

TravisNY
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by TravisNY » Wed Dec 16, 2020 7:16 pm

Eyra good to hear from you as always. I know you’re well familiar with my reports and how I fish etc I conversed a bit with Ned a couple days back and submitted a couple trip reports.

Mr. Rick purely wishful thinking regarding the mag light. Other than that I can’t comment further. Sorry sir.
Team flannel, overtime and promotion.

ChubbyGoby28
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by ChubbyGoby28 » Mon Apr 19, 2021 10:15 pm

Glad to hear you found a 901s! Hard to find and most guys would never sell them!

If your mind is blown from the 901s then you have to get a nrx 902s. The 902 is the rod you need for heavier presentations and hook setting power in deeper water.

I think 902s is more versatile than the 901s. I use 902s for finesse swimbaits 2.8" to 4" on 1/16 to 3/8 oz jig heads. Deep or shallow the 902 will give you superior action and sensitivity!

My other favorite is the Loomis Conquest 902s. This rod is not as sensitive as its brothers in the NRX line up but has a more moderate action for a different line of techniques and it casts further and more accurately than the NRX.