Best Glass Rod

A specialized forum to discuss anything and everything about your favorite or not so favorite fishing rods.
goldrod
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Best Glass Rod

Post by goldrod » Sun Nov 01, 2020 11:24 pm

In your opinion who makes the best Glass rod these days and why would you suggest someone to buy a glass rod over a graphite rod?
I think ST.Croix Glass stick is light and just about perfect for a glass rod. I think its a universal stick that can do it all from cranks, to chatterbaits , top water just the entire reaction bait spectrum.. MHO.
For by him were all things created, that are in heaven, and that are in earth, visible and invisible

BRONZEBACK32
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: Best Glass Rod

Post by BRONZEBACK32 » Mon Nov 02, 2020 12:21 am

Yup, love my St Croix LTG rod, its the best crankbait rod I have use.

chrisg_sdcf
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by chrisg_sdcf » Tue Nov 03, 2020 4:34 pm

I finally used my St. croix legend glass yesterday and I was very happy with it. I have the heavy. Which model(s) do you guys like the best?

BRONZEBACK32
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by BRONZEBACK32 » Tue Nov 03, 2020 9:16 pm

chrisg_sdcf wrote:
Tue Nov 03, 2020 4:34 pm
I finally used my St. croix legend glass yesterday and I was very happy with it. I have the heavy. Which model(s) do you guys like the best?
I have the 7'4" MH

goldrod
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by goldrod » Sat Nov 07, 2020 2:55 pm

BRONZEBACK32 wrote:
Tue Nov 03, 2020 9:16 pm
chrisg_sdcf wrote:
Tue Nov 03, 2020 4:34 pm
I have the 7'4" MH
Same here..!!
For by him were all things created, that are in heaven, and that are in earth, visible and invisible

HobeyBaker
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by HobeyBaker » Tue Dec 15, 2020 11:38 am

I have an Alpha Angler Rebound that I like cranking with when the water temps are cold. Has nice deep bend and balances well.

ftl1951
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by ftl1951 » Tue Dec 15, 2020 3:32 pm

St Croix Legend Glass and Lamiglass Si series.

Johnny A
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Johnny A » Tue Dec 15, 2020 4:11 pm

I’ve been using a glass rod for the past few months, starting with crankbaits, then for topwaters, then for spinnerbaits. I’m thinking glass is better for moving baits and graphite for slow stuff.

Thunderblack1984
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Thunderblack1984 » Wed Dec 16, 2020 4:35 am

Expride no doubt
Philippians 4:6

Hobie-Wan Kenobi
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hobie-Wan Kenobi » Wed Dec 16, 2020 6:36 am

I have the 7'10 (or 7'11...whatever they made) Heavy blank and put a Megabass Aklys handle on it to make it a LONG 2piece rod.

I like the weight for a glass rod. Has a great taper and backbone to set the hook with deep cranks. I would like it to be more progressive for next to boat surges. The tip is kinda soft for deep cranks 20+ft.

I fish 30lb braid plus a long leader on this rod. The braid allows me to have better feel with the glass blank yet, the leaders and blank cushion the fight enough to keep fish pinned. I also crank weed lines late summer and the braid helps turn fish without using a stiff rod.
IG @hobie_wan_kenobi_fishing

Cal
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Cal » Wed Dec 16, 2020 8:08 am

goldrod wrote:
Sun Nov 01, 2020 11:24 pm
...why would you suggest someone to buy a glass rod over a graphite rod?
Traditionally, glass rods have a super smooth, almost buttery feel to them once you hook up with a fish. Their more moderate taper responds well when fish pull on their runs allowing you to keep pressure on the fish without pulling the hooks out of the fish's mouth. That has been the traditional downside to a graphite cranking stick. The graphite material is just inherently more crisp and responsive and does not give nearly as easily as glass.

The trouble with glass rods is a lack of sensitivity. The material is very poor at transmitting vibrations down along the blank and into your hands - an area where graphite rods shine. You can mitigate this a bit by using braid or fluoro as your main line instead of nylon mono, and conversely, you can make up for some of that rigid graphite rod behavior by using nylon mono or fluoro instead of braid.

Having said all that, with the tapers manufacturers are using in today's graphite rods and the use of blended glass and graphite blanks, all those lines are blurred. If you use the right line, and more importantly, actually set and rely on your reel's drag (instead of locking it down), you don't necessarily need a dedicated cranking stick anymore.

A host of manufacturers are taking up the practice of offering sticks with something between a moderate to fast taper (mod-fast). On the right powered stick (usually MH or H), this is the new all purpose allowing you to fish horizontal and vertical bait presentations without skipping a beat.

Of course, it takes an open mind to try and eventually realize this versatility. Too many anglers these days see the suggested application stamp on the rod's blank and stick to those recommendations. Fifteen years ago, these labels weren't used and people determined the suitable applications out themselves based on the way they fished and what worked best. In that vein, the search for what is "best" for you can only be answered by one person. ;)
Cal, Managing Editor
"fish with mindfulness : beware the darkside"

goldrod
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by goldrod » Wed Dec 16, 2020 11:03 am

Cal wrote:
Wed Dec 16, 2020 8:08 am
goldrod wrote:
Sun Nov 01, 2020 11:24 pm
...why would you suggest someone to buy a glass rod over a graphite rod?

Of course, it takes an open mind to try and eventually realize this versatility. Too many anglers these days see the suggested application stamp on the rod's blank and stick to those recommendations. Fifteen years ago, these labels weren't used and people determined the suitable applications out themselves based on the way they fished and what worked best. In that vein, the search for what is "best" for you can only be answered by one person. ;)
I was just having this conversation today Sir. Instead of getting into labels we started talking about what i like in a fluke rod and I've used alot of rods for flukes but they have had their short comings and so it was during the conversation I realized that I'd just have the find the one that was best for me with the fewest short comings.

You spoke about blends and the MB Valkyrie rods stand out rod to me. I have the 7'1" heavy and the 7'6" XXH
The 7'1" rod is so darn versatile that I dont think that there isn't anything you can't do with it. Its just a complete rod in every way. The flipping stick is weird because it does flex like many people want with a graphite rod using braid. I have found that with heavy floro its been more than ideal in keeping the fish pinned and If I am not mistaken about it being a blend of glass and graphite or I would have never thought about using it as a flipping stick.. The only downside to this particular rod is its weight with the handle not fully extended. With the right reel and the handle position to help with balance its a great stick although no were near as light as the St. Croix glass rod I have. The MB DTC rod and the St. Croix glass rod have really helped me take my cranking to a higher level. That being said I still reach for the laminglas stick for traps. I wished they had given it a longer handle where two handed cast were easily made.

hookfynn
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by hookfynn » Wed Dec 16, 2020 11:23 am

st croix, period! best glass in the business but youre gonna pay for it!

KlingerNOK
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by KlingerNOK » Tue Dec 22, 2020 4:48 pm

I bought my wife the new model Mojo glass and it seems light and smooth action, but I have not fished with it enough to say more than that.
My favorite is Seeker S glass, but I would like to handle the St Croix Legend glass rods just to see if they're all that.
I do like the color of those St Croix Legends as it reminds me of my old Lamiglas honey colored E glass rods that I have caught tons of fish on.

Jason Penn
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Jason Penn » Thu Dec 24, 2020 6:39 pm

Johnny A wrote:
Tue Dec 15, 2020 4:11 pm
I’ve been using a glass rod for the past few months, starting with crankbaits, then for topwaters, then for spinnerbaits. I’m thinking glass is better for moving baits and graphite for slow stuff.
i've always felt that way as well. i still haven't figured out why chatterbaits are to be thrown on a glass rod, but folks say you need xf for spinnerbaits???