Kistler rods?

A specialized forum to discuss anything and everything about your favorite or not so favorite fishing rods.
RMCatchNrelease
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Re: Kistler rods?

Post by RMCatchNrelease » Mon Dec 28, 2020 6:17 pm

I too prefer simple quality builds. Here is a custom NFC705. Not a huge change but it is finished nicely and has a matagi balancer in the butt.
IMG_20201228_44985.jpg
IMG_20201228_44985.jpg (28.75 KiB) Viewed 4914 times
IMG_20201228_32604.jpg
IMG_20201228_32604.jpg (27.61 KiB) Viewed 4914 times

goldrod
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by goldrod » Mon Dec 28, 2020 6:33 pm

RMCatchNrelease wrote:
Mon Dec 28, 2020 6:17 pm
I too prefer simple quality builds. Here is a custom NFC705. Not a huge change but it is finished nicely and has a matagi balancer in the butt.
IMG_20201228_44985.jpg
IMG_20201228_32604.jpg
Looks great..
For by him were all things created, that are in heaven, and that are in earth, visible and invisible

DavidSA
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by DavidSA » Wed Dec 30, 2020 12:12 pm

RMCatchNrelease wrote:
Mon Dec 28, 2020 6:17 pm
IMG_20201228_44985.jpg
IMG_20201228_32604.jpg
I'm a fan!

bwjay
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by bwjay » Thu Dec 31, 2020 11:28 am

I just got my 7'M Helium spinning rod from them which they had for a great price on a 2020 "closeout(?)" sale. I have a 6'8LMH and I was looking for something lighter for whipping around small 1/8oz jigs/spinners/spoons. I decided to go with the M instead of the ML because I figured a 7'M should be notably skinnier and hit the sweet spot for the lighter lures that my LMH can do, but isn't great at.

Unfortunately this new M Helium is basically the exact same power as my LMH from the butt to the tip. They load nearly identically with a 1/6oz Ned head and a 1/2oz popper. The M is rated for 1/8-1/2oz lures and it seems to load the same as the LMH which is rated for 3/16-7/8oz. I don't think the true rating of the M is accurate; it seems closer to, if not the same as, my LMH. I know the rods are different lengths, but the lure load tests tell me what I need to know. They are basically the same rod.

It is a bummer that Kistler keeps you guessing every year. Iterative changes are good when they're improvements, and Tesla does this without declaring any version changes just as Kistler seems to be doing. Unfortunately there are some other changes on the Kistler side as well and power ratings seemingly aren't identical year-to-year. I'm going to see if I can exchange the rod for a ML so I can get the rod I was expecting and intended to buy, but it might end up costing me extra to ship it back which is a shame considering the rod doesn't fit its marketed description IMO.

The blank also isn't sanded anymore so it has ridges on it like my Dobyns Kaden rod which is also not sanded. This is disappointing since I like to feel the blank and the ridges wear on your fingers after a few hours. A minor gripe all things considered.

I will either exchange this rod for a ML or return it altogether, but I think it is still likely a great rod, it just isn't lighter than my 6'8LMH like I expected. I love fishing my Helium3s and think when bought on sale are likely some of the best value rods in the industry.

minch1o
Angler
Angler

Post by minch1o » Thu Dec 31, 2020 1:58 pm

bwjay wrote:
Thu Dec 31, 2020 11:28 am

Unfortunately this new M Helium is basically the exact same power as my LMH from the butt to the tip. They load nearly identically with a 1/6oz Ned head and a 1/2oz popper. The M is rated for 1/8-1/2oz lures and it seems to load the same as the LMH which is rated for 3/16-7/8oz. I don't think the true rating of the M is accurate; it seems closer to, if not the same as, my LMH. I know the rods are different lengths, but the lure load tests tell me what I need to know. They are basically the same rod.

man that sucks... I have both M and LMH in 7 foot and the M is noticeably lighter, and I had a 6'8'' LMH (that I sold for the longer one)...and that war surely faster action and, in my opionion, even a little heavier powered then the 7' LMH....

but I agree on the fact that every year they change the blanks...

I have also a 73H and a 71MH...well, my 71MH seems a little stiffer and the blank seems a little wider in diameter then the 71MH of one of my friends..... and all the rods I mentioned are helium 3s....

it just seems you have to guess any time you buy one of these rods

RMCatchNrelease
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by RMCatchNrelease » Thu Dec 31, 2020 8:00 pm

minch1o wrote:
Thu Dec 31, 2020 1:58 pm
bwjay wrote:
Thu Dec 31, 2020 11:28 am

man that sucks... I have both M and LMH in 7 foot and the M is noticeably lighter, and I had a 6'8'' LMH (that I sold for the longer one)...and that war surely faster action and, in my opionion, even a little heavier powered then the 7' LMH....

but I agree on the fact that every year they change the blanks...

I have also a 73H and a 71MH...well, my 71MH seems a little stiffer and the blank seems a little wider in diameter then the 71MH of one of my friends..... and all the rods I mentioned are helium 3s....

it just seems you have to guess any time you buy one of these rods
Interesting about the ridges. The NFC Delta blanks have the ridges and IM is sanded. The price difference on those two blanks is substantial.

falcon
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by falcon » Fri Jan 01, 2021 4:53 am

I kinda feel Gary and nfc helped kistler through a difficult time. It was a win win for both. NFC was new to the market and kistler went overseas and had mass breakage issues. With the shift to nfc trey got a quality American blank and nfc got their name out to the masses.

My thoughts is nfc offered kistler a deal but I think gradually that deal got more costly to kistler hence the blank changes. And in my opinion to many changes over the helium 3 product line. I get increases prices go up but it’s been every year with the helium
Legend Alpha 211/Merc 250 Pro XS

hoohoorjoo
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by hoohoorjoo » Sat Jan 02, 2021 7:42 pm

It isnt just the Helium that the price went up quickly on. The KLX was $170 when it debuted, and it had Fuji Alconite guides then. It's pushing $300 now, just a few years later. Comparatively speaking, the KLX went up much quicker than the Helium, if only due to the shorter time that it has been in existence.
Try not to let your mind wander. It is much too small to be outside unsupervised.

bwjay
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by bwjay » Mon Jan 04, 2021 6:21 pm

Kistler is exchanging the rod with a 7'ML for me without a fuss which is nice. Awesome customer service and awesome rods - hard to be too upset, even with the guessing game you have to play. I've got 4 months until I can use it so it'll be a while before I can test it, but I do know of a river spot that I could try later this winter. We'll see.

montey
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by montey » Tue Jan 12, 2021 8:24 pm

I do not like they way Kistler runs his company. I had some, but got rid of all of them.
The $50 per rod increase was too much.

bwjay
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by bwjay » Wed Jan 13, 2021 10:09 am

montey wrote:
Tue Jan 12, 2021 8:24 pm
I do not like they way Kistler runs his company. I had some, but got rid of all of them.
The $50 per rod increase was too much.
Is the price increase the only thing you had a problem with? I wouldn't buy their rods at full price but thankfully they do sales so often that you almost never have to. I'd love a 20% off custom coupon but they never do discounts on custom unfortunately.

Their customer service has been excellent for me so far. Trey also seems like a good guy and has personally answered my emails.

I'm curious about what was so repulsive about the way the company is run that you not only chose not to buy more rods, but actually got rid of them.

freelancer27
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by freelancer27 » Wed Jan 13, 2021 7:57 pm

My opinion on this mirrors what others have said. Their rod ratings changed too much for me to be consistent and build my rod aresnal on them.

While i like the blank and the guides (for the helium and above line) i do think that they could use a bit more empasize on the visual side.

The cork even on my Zbone is nkt the best and degrades quickly. Had to shrink wrap it.

They are probably attempting the NRX style build, but i tbink they dont have reached that level.

Customer service, that i have experienced, is great though! My xxh klx snapped after a couple of uses and they replacing it wirh the xxh version of the helium, since the klx version is no longer in production.

If they kwpt their prices lower, upgraded their looks and offered a 'no questions asked' warranty, i would buy more...

bwjay
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by bwjay » Thu Jan 14, 2021 9:23 am

freelancer27 wrote:
Wed Jan 13, 2021 7:57 pm
My opinion on this mirrors what others have said. Their rod ratings changed too much for me to be consistent and build my rod aresnal on them.

While i like the blank and the guides (for the helium and above line) i do think that they could use a bit more empasize on the visual side.

The cork even on my Zbone is nkt the best and degrades quickly. Had to shrink wrap it.

They are probably attempting the NRX style build, but i tbink they dont have reached that level.

Customer service, that i have experienced, is great though! My xxh klx snapped after a couple of uses and they replacing it wirh the xxh version of the helium, since the klx version is no longer in production.

If they kwpt their prices lower, upgraded their looks and offered a 'no questions asked' warranty, i would buy more...
I do completely agree, the inconsistency in rod ratings erodes confidence when looking at adding rods to your collection. And yes, the build quality is subpar - namely the cork. I don't have issues with the guidetrain or any epoxy. If they had upgraded the cork for their recent (last 6 months? brought the Helium to $350) price bump, I would say it was maybe deserved, but I still won't pay full price for them when they keep doing sales. They need to earn that full price if I'm ever to pay it.

_diggy_
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by _diggy_ » Thu Jan 14, 2021 9:57 am

freelancer27 wrote:
My xxh klx snapped after a couple of uses
You have had some terrible luck with swimbait rods :shock:

freelancer27
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by freelancer27 » Thu Jan 14, 2021 11:37 am

_diggy_ wrote:
Thu Jan 14, 2021 9:57 am
freelancer27 wrote:
My xxh klx snapped after a couple of uses
You have had some terrible luck with swimbait rods :shock:
Yeah, right!? I just added it all to the "damn it 2020" folder.

Kistler was very supportive in this warranty claim. My experiences in this regard have been great, but also have heard of others that were not so lucky.

Also, if my 5 year old ZBONE snapped tomorrow, I would probably need to pay full price to get a new one...