Kistler rods?

A specialized forum to discuss anything and everything about your favorite or not so favorite fishing rods.
bwjay
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: Kistler rods?

Post by bwjay » Mon Jan 18, 2021 5:59 pm

I got my 7'ML Helium as a replacement for the 7'M that was basically identical to my 6'8LMH. The ML is more appropriately light but is closer to what I expected for the M, which is ultimately a good thing because that's what I was going for. It still looks a little stiff with a 1/6oz Ned head only slightly loading the tip, when the rod is rated for 1/16-3/8oz. I'm going to try using it for crappies in spring and I have a feeling it will feel just a little too stiff for that setup, but that's OK. It's more for hair jigs and small topwater and worms. It should be a great vertical jigging rod for walleyes and possibly lake trout too, though if I know I'm going for lakers, I will probably use my 6'8LMH instead for some extra backbone.

Kistler took care of shipping of the 7'M back to them, as well as getting the 7'ML out to me, without any fuss whatsoever. It was the smoothest exchange I could have expected and I'll honestly continue to consider Kistler for future rods despite the uncertainty when buying their rods, because the service is great and the products are too (most of the time).

RMCatchNrelease
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by RMCatchNrelease » Tue Jan 26, 2021 4:50 am

Looks like what Trey told told me in an email may be comming soon. Everything is on closeout over there. Not a first, but it seems more of an inventory blow out than previous sales.

He told me in am email that he was addressing the handle builds on his rods. Let's hope we see some sweet carbon fiber NFC grips on Helium and higher rods.

To save money, I'd be cool with carbon palm grip section and eva butt grip.

Fingers crossed as I'd like some more 🇺🇸 on my rods.

Thunderblack1984
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Thunderblack1984 » Tue Jan 26, 2021 12:05 pm

Not a bad deal on these. I snagged another ML Helium spinner. Great rods for $225-$250.
Philippians 4:6

TommyG
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by TommyG » Wed Jan 27, 2021 3:57 am

RMCatchNrelease wrote:
Tue Jan 26, 2021 4:50 am
Looks like what Trey told told me in an email may be comming soon. Everything is on closeout over there. Not a first, but it seems more of an inventory blow out than previous sales.

He told me in am email that he was addressing the handle builds on his rods. Let's hope we see some sweet carbon fiber NFC grips on Helium and higher rods.

To save money, I'd be cool with carbon palm grip section and eva butt grip.

Fingers crossed as I'd like some more 🇺🇸 on my rods.
=D> =D> =D>

Drakestar
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Drakestar » Mon Feb 01, 2021 9:41 pm

Hmm. Got an email proclaiming that "The New 2021 Zbones Are Here", and the webpage is running a promotion "40% Off Reel When You Buy a 2021 Zbone", but the build they're showing on the product pages looks identical to the previous version. Maybe they haven't updated their images yet. Or maybe nothing actually changed :( (Including the price, at least.)

Thunderblack1984
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Thunderblack1984 » Tue Feb 02, 2021 8:23 am

Looks like the blank has changed. Its labeled a Kistler carbon blank. Could be wrong but check out the specs.

Drakestar
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Drakestar » Tue Feb 02, 2021 9:29 am

Thunderblack1984 wrote:
Tue Feb 02, 2021 8:23 am
Looks like the blank has changed. Its labeled a Kistler carbon blank. Could be wrong but check out the specs.
Yeah I noticed that, but I figured it was them saying that it's a specially made NFC blank for Kistler (which was true in the past IIRC - Xray, but Kistler specs). Maybe it's an actual new blank, in which case... Dunno, personally the main reason to have bought a ZBone was to get a warranted production rod with the Xray blank. A new blank feels like an unknown quantity on top of the same old barebones build (with the same old cork). A bit disappointed about that.

Edit: Looking at these new logos, I guess it's their own blank.
Capture.PNG
Capture.PNG (11.06 KiB) Viewed 4586 times

Thunderblack1984
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Thunderblack1984 » Tue Feb 02, 2021 10:25 am

That's the way I took it. I jumped on a few heliums last month for the NFC blanks but just don't know much about what their plan is for this yr on rods. They do make some clean looking rods. I prefer the simple look and comfortable handles. I did own a Zbone at one pt and they are super nice as well.

RMCatchNrelease
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by RMCatchNrelease » Wed Feb 03, 2021 12:48 pm

Not the direction I hoped to see.

Seems the Z Bone no longer sports the made in 🇺🇸 logo. Not a downgrade per say as many of the finest rods are Chinese. That said, that was sort of their thing. I see it now says hand-built in TX.

My conversation with Trey specifically mentioned I wanted a front deck full of 🇺🇸 logos.

Also, sticking with the cork handles and not a winding check in sight.

Hard pass here. I hope the Helium revamp is simply handle structure.

bwjay
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by bwjay » Wed Feb 03, 2021 3:45 pm

That's one of the things I loved about Kistler the most, the fact that it was all made in the USA. So much stuff is made in China these days and I really don't want to support their economy if I can avoid it. A shame. It doesn't mean I won't buy rods from them in the future, but I have less reason to do so now (especially given the last price increase).

_diggy_
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by _diggy_ » Wed Feb 03, 2021 6:34 pm

oof

doomtrprz71
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by doomtrprz71 » Wed Feb 03, 2021 6:58 pm

Almost sounds like its the same blank as the rebellion with the talk of 45 degree layered carbon like diawas x45 blanks, I am not paying a premium for the kistler name with a Chinese blank, I don't care if it has guides stuck on it in Texas. I guess I will have to hope my luck holds out with edge rods.

_diggy_
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by _diggy_ » Thu Feb 04, 2021 7:19 am

eagleriver1_fish
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by eagleriver1_fish » Thu Feb 04, 2021 7:51 am

doomtrprz71 wrote:
Wed Feb 03, 2021 6:58 pm
Almost sounds like its the same blank as the rebellion with the talk of 45 degree layered carbon like diawas x45 blanks, I am not paying a premium for the kistler name with a Chinese blank, I don't care if it has guides stuck on it in Texas. I guess I will have to hope my luck holds out with edge rods.
I couldn't agree more. I really hope Kistler isn't moving away from the NFC blanks.

I love the NFC blanks and while the build and components on Kistler rods has been a bit weak in the past at the sale prices they were pretty good deals. What I didn't like was the constant changing of the actions on the rods. They have access to one of the most sensitive banks on the market (x-ray SJ model) and they slow the action to try to build a bunch of all purpose rods, sacrificing sensitivity in the process. Couldn't you make a couple Extra Fast rods to maximize the sensitivity and designate them as jig rods?

The last thing I need is another rod built on a mass produced Chinese blank. If they are moving to Chinese blanks it's probably not a coincidence Kistler has their own reel line now. Maybe a two for one special with their Chinese overlords :). Sadly, if they are moving away from NFC, the rod market appears to be going the way of the reel market where almost all the reels are coming from the same factory with only minor differences. There is a reason Daiwa & Shimano reign supreme with reels. I'm not a fan of China, but this isn't as much about them as the fishing industry becoming completely homogenized. The best thing Shimano did with Loomis is to leave them alone.

There are some great blanks manufactures out there (NFC being one). Is it that hard for someone to utilize these great blanks by adding great components and selling them? I know, I know, if its so easy why don't I do it :). I do hope someone comes in to fill this void. I guess its always easy to be the armchair QB. Sorry, my rant is over.

Cal
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Cal » Thu Feb 04, 2021 8:11 am

eagleriver1_fish wrote:
Thu Feb 04, 2021 7:51 am
Maybe a two for one special with their Chinese overlords
FYI... Kistler's reels are made in Korea, not China.

I'm just catching up on this recent info regarding the ZBone blank and possible move to a different supplier.

Disclaimer: I've not spoken to Trey about this move so the following is simply conjecture:

I noticed last year or the year before, the KLX series really jumped up in price. My suspicion is, this was in direct correlation to the cost of their blanks going up. If they're being hit with something similar in the ZBone, a move away from NFC could be a way to reel in the escalating costs. I'm sure this is a constant struggle for anyone not wrapping their own blanks in house.

Doesn't mean those of you who are disappointed have to like it, but simply pointing out some realities.
Cal, Managing Editor
"fish with mindfulness : beware the darkside"