How to try to fix my new Tsurinoya Ares which is damaged by hook?

A specialized forum to discuss anything and everything about your favorite or not so favorite fishing rods.
jvelth74
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

How to try to fix my new Tsurinoya Ares which is damaged by hook?

Post by jvelth74 » Tue Dec 22, 2020 8:39 am

Hi,

I have used a few times my new Tsurinoya Ares and I like a lot of it!

But last time my little Rapala treble hook show that they perfectly fit around rod and because of that those marked my rod pretty perfect...

Scratches are through coating and obviously a little to carbon also.
Scratches.JPG
Scratches.JPG (31.72 KiB) Viewed 2553 times
I'm thinking to sand this area as light as I can, and then laminating thin layer of new carbon to it, and then tighten laminate by wrapping it, and then another coat of epoxy. What do you think?

https://youtu.be/6ZTy3NPbRi0

hoohoorjoo
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Re: How to try to fix my new Tsurinoya Ares which is damaged by hook?

Post by hoohoorjoo » Tue Dec 22, 2020 1:43 pm

If it worries you, sand it, put a decorative thread wrap on and epoxy it. This should mitigate any structural compromise that exists. I crushed the butt of a Falcon Cara rod a few years back. I cut it off even with the rear stubby cork, took an old rod and cut a piece of blank to fit inside, up to the front of the reel seat. I arbored it with fiberglass drywall tape on the end, epoxied it in place, wrapped it with electrical tape to keep even pressure on it and let it dry. The blank was actually split up length-wise about 3 inches in several places beyond where I cut it. I added an EVA rear butt and got a local rodbuilder to put a thread wrap in between the split grips, where it was split and then epoxied it. That wrap/epoxy combination apparently worked, because I never had a problem with it after that, and I landed several bass with the rod in the 5 to 8 lb range.
Try not to let your mind wander. It is much too small to be outside unsupervised.

jvelth74
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by jvelth74 » Wed Dec 23, 2020 3:27 am

Thanks for advices / choises.

This is solid blank and nothing can put inside. I'm not sure is surface scratch in solid blank worse than in tubular blank neither. But the greatest tension is always on blank surface and in the bottom and actually there scratches are and those create weak point on most tension area :(

In the morning I was thinking another choise:

1. Light sand area
2. Glue new carbon fibres by epoxy to area
3. Wrap area tightly with some strong coloured yarn (to push new carbon to tight package=good laminate)
4. Wrap area by Diatex PA85: https://www.kevytrakentajanverkkokauppa ... -100m-rll/
5. Wrap area with suction blanket or similar to it: https://www.kevytrakentajanverkkokauppa ... de-pes150/
6. Tighten package by film and tape to squeeze excess epoxy of (to blanket). [Or just squeeze area by hands]
7. Dismantle films, blanket and Diatex, or let epoxy set by a day and after that dismantle those. (But I have newer tried this for this small rod.)
8. Sand area, take excess surface epoxy and yarn of.
9. Wrap area as good as I can with rod building / ring yarn
10. Apply U-40 Permagloss to area

But I'm just thinking. Nothing is done so far.

Maybe I make some light repair for this rod and buy another one :D

Hobie-Wan Kenobi
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hobie-Wan Kenobi » Wed Dec 23, 2020 6:13 am

Being solid carbon and not handling huge amounts of force, I would leave it if it as it is, unless you see the integrity of the blank is compromised. You could then just decorative wrap it over it to strengthen it.
IG @hobie_wan_kenobi_fishing

jvelth74
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by jvelth74 » Sun Jun 06, 2021 10:14 pm

Now I was forced to fix Ares. Because there was people angling with worms in a Rapids (which is against rules). I was pissed of and put mine Teton Sul to my car and decided to change place. In a car was hot and I opened windows. In a highway I closed those. When arriving another fishing place I found that my rod tip was gone out from window and now rod was broken. Teton SUL is fixed but it shortened by 5 mm and action is not anymore good...

So I now must fix Ares. I did it hard way / followingly:

1. A layer of epoxy to damaged area
2. Sand it to the carbon, idea was that new epoxy stays only in scratches
3. Laminate new carbon strips to area and to tie it tightly by wrapping yarn
4. Sand it to the carbon
5. A layer of new epoxy over new carbon
6. Sand it to the carbon
7. Wrap area with yarn
8. A layer of epoxy

Fixing rod succeeded good. Weight addition on relative low and it's in the bottom area of rod. I tried to bend rod. Effect to the rod action is near to 0. It's stiff bottom rod already. I don't know how they have done it in case of solid rod, but somehow it is.

Fished first time with Ares on 'big' waters. It casts much better (Meter or two or three longer) than Teton SUL and still it's shorter. It feels very good rod. It might be as good as expensive Shimano Trout One which my friend has.

Slazmo
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Slazmo » Mon Jun 07, 2021 1:59 am

Would've just put a light clear coat over the scratch with one of those 3M Paint pens designed for car paint repair.

jvelth74
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by jvelth74 » Mon Jun 07, 2021 2:26 am

Scratch was in the place where stress is greatest and I did not like weak point by scratch in threre.

Now I have fixed scratch as good as I could and also I have moved most stressed area away from scratch.

Yes, it was a lot of work for a little scratch.

But in my opinion rod actually turned to better than as a new, because now there is protection in the front of hook keeper.

Rod looks currently following:
Ares.JPG
Ares.JPG (30.81 KiB) Viewed 2125 times
Wrapping is bad for several reasons. For example carbon laminate under wrapping was impossible to make perfect smooth for this small rod with my skills and experience. And wrappings I don't have made many. And I accepted errors and not to try to fix any. Also flex coat is bad, because of lack of experience I gave it too much ethanol torch.

But regardless of faults I'm satisfied with this fix. Rod is ~5 mm diameter and now it's ~7 mm diameter in repaired area so wall thickness on repair is 1 mm including carbon, wrapping and coating. And effect to rod action seems near to 0. Carbon ribbon I used was 0.3 mm thick.

Maybe I will add another one coat and try to make it better.

Antonese
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Antonese » Tue Jun 29, 2021 10:22 am

Sorry it hurts to look at this. I would have retired the rod or just took my chances of it breaking. That is absolutely unbearable to look at. It's giving me anxiety. I might have a nightmare about this franken rod. Really Sorry....honest

jvelth74
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by jvelth74 » Tue Jun 29, 2021 11:02 am

I sanded it lightly and over coated. Now it's as good as I need it to be:
Ares.JPG
Ares.JPG (34.96 KiB) Viewed 1988 times
Rod was cheap when I bought it. It's not a premium rod, so it doesn't need perfect.

But when I looked current price of rod = 85 €, shipping = 57 €, and + current tax + customs + 'costs' => Total ~180 €. For that price I'm happy that I have repaired this rod.

In my opinion this rod is now better than as a new...

And now rod is most used rod by me:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sHORREqf1SU&t=192s
Rod was retired because it was damaged. Now it's repaired and in active use...