Expride 7’2” medium light plus

A specialized forum to discuss anything and everything about your favorite or not so favorite fishing rods.
goldrod
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Expride 7’2” medium light plus

Post by goldrod » Sat Jan 02, 2021 7:53 am

In the midst of me cleaning out my emails for 2020 i came across a link to the TWH with this rod. I wanted to know if anyone has this rod since I never got to it from my records. I see that it’s currently sold out. I used to have a cork crucial that was of the same length casting as well I loved for drop shots til one day the wife was vacuuming next to my rod rack and well you can imagine the rest. Anyways I’m just looking for feedback on this rod as it’s a 2020 rod that I’m looking at getting
For by him were all things created, that are in heaven, and that are in earth, visible and invisible

CFDoc
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: Expride 7’2” medium light plus

Post by CFDoc » Sat Jan 02, 2021 3:30 pm

I had this rod for a very short time. I didn’t like it at all.

I found the tip to be light but extremely fast. It really seemed to flex only at the last 8-12” of the rod. This made the tip inconsistent for me when casting. Considering I was looking for a rod to skip and cast in precise locations for lighter baits, I didn’t like the rod at all.

Your mileage may vary.

goldrod
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by goldrod » Sat Jan 02, 2021 3:33 pm

CFDoc wrote:
Sat Jan 02, 2021 3:30 pm
I had this rod for a very short time. I didn’t like it at all.

I found the tip to be light but extremely fast. It really seemed to flex only at the last 8-12” of the rod. This made the tip inconsistent for me when casting. Considering I was looking for a rod to skip and cast in precise locations for lighter baits, I didn’t like the rod at all.

Your mileage may vary.
For by him were all things created, that are in heaven, and that are in earth, visible and invisible

goldrod
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by goldrod » Sat Jan 02, 2021 3:36 pm

Thanks
I brought another rod today after much thought and consideration.

The expride line is a good line up for the money I think and I’m rather glad for the feedback on this rod. I too would have been disappointed

CFDoc
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by CFDoc » Sat Jan 02, 2021 3:41 pm

FWIW I replaced it with the 7’2” poison adrena and have been much happier.

goldrod
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by goldrod » Sat Jan 02, 2021 3:44 pm

CFDoc wrote:
Sat Jan 02, 2021 3:41 pm
FWIW I replaced it with the 7’2” poison adrena and have been much happier.
The adrena is a nice rod. I’m wondering how good is the 7’4” heavy adrena but I think I’ll wait to see how much backbone it has.
What did you pair you Adrena with?

CFDoc
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by CFDoc » Sat Jan 02, 2021 3:59 pm

I have the 7’4” adrena too. It’s a very stout rod with a lot of backbone.

My current setup is 5 Falcon experts and 5 poison adrenas.

My reels are 5 Met B’s and 5 Lews SLP reels (hyper mags, pro TI, and custom lite).

Any rod/reel setup for distance casting, finesse, or cranking is on a Met B. Anything for flipping, pitching, skipping is on a Lews.

The 7’2”M adrena is on a Met B for shakey heads, wacky rigs, etc.

The 7’4”H adrena is on a pro TI.

The 6’11” adrena is on a hyper mag and is my favorite jig skipping combo ever.

goldrod
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by goldrod » Sat Jan 02, 2021 4:05 pm

CFDoc wrote:
Sat Jan 02, 2021 3:59 pm
I have the 7’4” adrena too. It’s a very stout rod with a lot of backbone.

My current setup is 5 Falcon experts and 5 poison adrenas.

My reels are 5 Met B’s and 5 Lews SLP reels (hyper mags, pro TI, and custom lite).

Any rod/reel setup for distance casting, finesse, or cranking is on a Met B. Anything for flipping, pitching, skipping is on a Lews.

The 7’2”M adrena is on a Met B for shakey heads, wacky rigs, etc.

The 7’4”H adrena is on a pro TI.

The 6’11” adrena is on a hyper mag and is my favorite jig skipping combo ever.

Wow man beautiful! Some nice setups there please do a review on the 7’4”
I have think there’s something wrong with every reel I try to skip with.
It’s like an allergic reaction the minute I think I’m skipping POOF 😂
Thanks again man.

CFDoc
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by CFDoc » Sat Jan 02, 2021 4:19 pm

Thanks, I went through a long search, test, swap/sell period before landing on my current setup.

If you have any specific questions about the 7’4”H adrena, just ask.

As far as skipping, about 10 years ago I got my butt kicked by an angler that could skip into places and catch fish nobody else could. The next day I committed to learning it. I started standing on a bucket and skipping on concrete. It’s definitely a skill worth learning.

Here’s a little picture I took with the 6’11” adrena skipping setup. I’ll go to my grave with this combo.

goldrod
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by goldrod » Mon Jan 04, 2021 12:57 pm

CFDoc wrote:
Sat Jan 02, 2021 4:19 pm
Thanks, I went through a long search, test, swap/sell period before landing on my current setup.

If you have any specific questions about the 7’4”H adrena, just ask.

As far as skipping, about 10 years ago I got my butt kicked by an angler that could skip into places and catch fish nobody else could. The next day I committed to learning it. I started standing on a bucket and skipping on concrete. It’s definitely a skill worth learning.

Here’s a little picture I took with the 6’11” adrena skipping setup. I’ll go to my grave with this combo.

I was twice bitten by the skipping bug.
Recently about a week ago while out on some dock water.
The only rod that has really ever worked for me was a Gen one cumara med xfast which is 7’2” but close second is the 7’4” legend elite.
I was skipping with my cores /D7

I’m not sure if I’ve really settled between the centrifugal shimano or magnetic Daiwa braking system but it is going to be my winter time goal to get me a setup and go with it. I have the same Adrena you skip with and May have to give it a shot.

On the 7’4” heavy Adrena I just wanted to know how it “feels” Flippin and pitching or do you feel it’s more of a punching stick or less of one.
I’m reorganizing for this year and if it doesn’t fit I’m selling

CFDoc
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by CFDoc » Wed Jan 06, 2021 11:26 am

Regarding the 7’4” Adrena, I’d say it’s a rod that handles flipping and pitching better than punching. However, I’m referring to punching in the strict sense where you’ve got 1.5 ounce or more weight with another 0.5 ounce or so soft plastic and you are really trying to get through the slop.

Around here in Mississippi, I can go ‘punching’ with 0.5 ounce weight on a craw tube. Th gator weed, hydrilla, etc. is thin enough that 0.5 ounce will work, but it’s still very much a punching bite that you’re getting. For this, the 7’4”H Adrena works great and I use it as such.

Good luck with the skipping. I skip 0.5 ounce jigs with paca punch as a trailer. These work great on the 6’11” Adrena and the Lews centrifugal plus magnetic braking system. I can also skip with the SVS on my Mets but I much prefer the Lews.

Phish-Hunter
Angler
Angler

Post by Phish-Hunter » Mon Jun 07, 2021 11:25 am

The 7'4" Poison Adreana is a low modulus cranking stick intended for deep cranking and big baits. The 7'2" is more of a jig rod. Just an FYI.

CFDoc
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by CFDoc » Mon Jun 07, 2021 1:53 pm

Phish-Hunter wrote:
Mon Jun 07, 2021 11:25 am
The 7'4" Poison Adreana is a low modulus cranking stick intended for deep cranking and big baits. The 7'2" is more of a jig rod. Just an FYI.
I was told that as well. Even bought the 7'4" thinking I would crank with it. But I find myself very rarely cranking with it. I found the backbone too strong for my liking with cranking. Also, being that it's an extremely sensitive rod (one of the most sensitive truly heavy rods I've ever felt), it seems like a waste to use on cranking.

Now I have used it to skip nail-weighted swimming flukes in deeper submerged vegetation. It worked very well for that and I could really feel the bites with it.

goldrod
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by goldrod » Tue Jun 08, 2021 11:49 am

CFDoc wrote:
Mon Jun 07, 2021 1:53 pm
Phish-Hunter wrote:
Mon Jun 07, 2021 11:25 am
I was told that as well. Even bought the 7'4" thinking I would crank with it. But I find myself very rarely cranking with it. I found the backbone too strong for my liking with cranking. Also, being that it's an extremely sensitive rod (one of the most sensitive truly heavy rods I've ever felt), it seems like a waste to use on cranking.

Now I have used it to skip nail-weighted swimming flukes in deeper submerged vegetation. It worked very well for that and I could really feel the bites with it.
interesting information !!!

goldrod
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by goldrod » Fri Jun 11, 2021 11:40 am

I think if this rod was 6’10” id like it