Your most versatile rod?

A specialized forum to discuss anything and everything about your favorite or not so favorite fishing rods.
domthewon
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Re: Your most versatile rod?

Post by domthewon » Fri Jan 22, 2021 10:08 pm

jwfflipper14 wrote:
Fri Jan 22, 2021 6:32 pm
domthewon wrote:
Fri Jan 08, 2021 11:29 pm
I’d have to say 7’0mh poison ultima, X4 MB Destruction,Steez Racing Design 701mh/h Hustler, Evergreen Stallion any version of the 4 I own, OG MB XTIorXFTI Diablo, MB Og evo Elsiel, and the Evergreen Black Raven Extreme. Sorry I can’t choose one and I know I’m missing a few.
Been wanting to get a Hustler for a while now.
How does it fish compared to other Steez rods
The blank characteristics are different than other models of Steez rods I’ve owned like the AGS, or older blanks due to modern materials. I have 5 Racing Designs and personally love the way they fish. The hustler technical tune covers the broadest weight range of the group. I can do about any technique I could possibly need most days with it. If I didn’t mind retying or swapping spools for line type I could throw anything except frogs, real finesse stuff,or really heavy. I would say the ultima 7’0 MH is pretty close, but I slightly prefer the Steez.

Jeep
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Jeep » Sat Jan 23, 2021 9:28 am

I would say the megabass super diablo type L right now. But that will probably change here soon. :big grin:

dragon1
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by dragon1 » Sun May 07, 2023 4:44 am

Bump.

What say you now.
"It is like a finger pointing away to the Moon...don't concentrate on the finger, or you will miss all of that heavenly glory."

Johnny A
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Johnny A » Sun May 07, 2023 6:08 am

dragon1 wrote:
Sun May 07, 2023 4:44 am
Bump.

What say you now.

1. Evergreen International Spin Cobra 6'3" spinning rod w/micro-guides: micro jigs to wacky rigged Senkos, small crankbaits, light minnow baits, small shad baits. 17 years and still has a few tricks up it's sleeve.

2. Team Daiwa Signature Elite 7' Tak Cranking rods: Shallow to deep cranks for baits from 3/8ths - 5/8ths (they rate it to 2 oz but I don't think so!), topwaters from EG 77.7 ShowerBlows, One's Bug, Justine, O.S.P. Dai Buzz'n wake bait, spinnerbaits/buzzbaits/blade-jigs

3. Team Daiwa Signature Elite 7' Tak Spinning rod: Senkos, 4"-6" grubs, flukes also jerkbaits

Honorable Mentions:
Evergreen International Pantera 6'2" casting rod: crankin', topwaters, spinnerbaits - SOLD because not practical for new location.
Megabass Evoluzion F5 1/2- 68 Xti - nice in NJ would have been PERFECT in SC! SOLD under-utilized in NJ

dragon1
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by dragon1 » Sun May 07, 2023 7:31 pm

Good stuff Johnny A...

I wanted to get a bit of everyone's updated opinions since I just received an excellent+ condition Gen 1 Megabass Orochi XX Tour Versatile...it is most "Rain Man Definitely", a Fast action and no where near mod-fast or perhaps JDM "regular fast" ~ true fast taper. Because of this, I don't feel it's as versatile as a mod-fast taper/heavy power, but it lends itself well to 5/8-1.25 oz spinnerbaits, 1/2-1 oz jigs and light-med cover 1/2-3/4 frogs...big buzzbaits and heavier toads as well as 5"-6" paddletails with up to 1/2 oz heads would also be in the wheelhouse. For topwaters, I would stick with 3/4-1.25 oz and big trebles, otherwise I think you'll end up ripping the hooks out.

FWIW, the micro guides slow down line speed with bigger diameter non-braided lines IMO, and makes it a PITA with connection knots with 30+ braid and heavier fluoro in that 17-20 range.

The sensitivity is very good, right around old school GLX territory and plenty of backbone and the build quality is exceptional, although it is a bit heavy just shy of 6 oz IIRC, but typical of Megabass a good 7-8 oz reel balances it out nicely (I had a Calais 201A on it but will likely opt in an OG Zillion as the mainstay).
"It is like a finger pointing away to the Moon...don't concentrate on the finger, or you will miss all of that heavenly glory."

Senko_My_Battleship
Angler
Angler

Post by Senko_My_Battleship » Tue May 09, 2023 11:52 am

My fav versatile rods in order of versatility:
-Windbuster because it can do hard plastics and bottom contact ridiculously well.

-Valkyrie 71MH for the huge range of treble hook baits it feels so spry and confident with, but I really like it for chatterbaits too. The versatility angle here for me has more to do with the weight ranges it is competent in. I’ve gone down to a flatside rapala up to a deep x 300 and it never felt out of place. Think I could even throw a little heavier crank but never tried.

-Mad Bull since it can cover both moving single and treble hooks in a fairly large variety of weights but always feels great. Stuck copoly on it to be my top water rod but then it does big bulldozer squarebills super well around heavy cover too.

-Steez AGS 69M same reason as Windbuster but shorter and baitcaster. It’s my light line jerkbait rod that I turn around and drop shot with on 8 lb line then turn around and throw a shad rap or LC 1.5 then a wacky/flick shake rig. It’s a fun little rod, great for creek fishing if the fish don’t get too big (not enough backbone to really yank a big fish out of cover, more like it excels at protecting light line in open water). I’ve thrown X-Nanahan and Pointer 100 on this thing. It doesn’t like the big jerkbaits as much but I’ve caught fish on that 5/8 oz pointer without problems. Only thing is I didn’t love braid on it when I tried it, but that might just be me or the particular braid.

-Steez AGS 73MH because I can kind of get away with a huge variety of single hook bottom contact and moving baits. It feels quite fast and acts like a fast rod but bends surprisingly deep once fighting a fish. I love that thing, it’s my favorite “get a medium heavy fast rod to do a lot of stuff in bass fishing” rod that I’ve ever tried.

jwfflipper14
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by jwfflipper14 » Tue May 09, 2023 6:53 pm

My Steez utility player by far. Skipping pitching flipping trig jigs weightless senkos.
Does all that I need.

Jeff
RiverValleyCrankbaits
Picasso
K-9 Flourocarbon

lzeil
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by lzeil » Tue May 09, 2023 8:19 pm

mb super eiger

Senko_My_Battleship
Angler
Angler

Post by Senko_My_Battleship » Tue May 09, 2023 8:40 pm

jwfflipper14 wrote:
Tue May 09, 2023 6:53 pm
My Steez utility player by far. Skipping pitching flipping trig jigs weightless senkos.
Does all that I need.

Jeff
It really is just so good. Of all the rods I listed, it may be my favorite one.

PKN8
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by PKN8 » Tue May 09, 2023 9:09 pm

Most of the MB rods I've owned that are rated F4.5-F5 are pretty versatile. X4 Black Elseil, X7 Extreme Mission, P5 Madbull, P3 Super Bandersnatch.

But after owning some Designo rods (Leben and Leben Torque Tune models), they get the nod. Japanese style MH+/H+ ratings ranging up to 4oz that still do the trick with lures around 1/2oz and sometimes less in a pinch. Actions/tapers are favorable from moving trebles to larger single hooks.
Always learning...

bronzebacks
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by bronzebacks » Wed May 10, 2023 6:42 am

bronzebacks wrote:
Fri Jan 08, 2021 11:08 pm
djd wrote:
Thu Jan 07, 2021 6:33 am
This has probably been asked before, but what is the most versatile rod in your current rod line-up and what have you used with it?

I'll start... Megabass XX Gen 1 EMTF - Its the best rod I've owned for swim jigs (1/4-3/8), swimbaits (keitech style) on a jighead (1/4-3/8), weightless senkos and flukes, small buzzbaits (1/4), small topwater poppers, (3/16-3/8) tube jigs. It also does well with T-rigs (3/16-3/8) in light to moderate grass, spinnerbaits (1/4-1/2), buzzbaits (3/8), chatterbaits (3/8), topwater poppers (3/8), the smaller whopper plopper type baits, football jigs (1/2 or less) in sparse cover, and probably some things I've forgot. I prefer it over the MB Destroyer Daemos and MB XX DSR for most of the previously mentioned applications.
Agree 100% I've even thrown 6xd and dt16s, 10" power worm on shakey heads but now its my jackhammer rod. Ive cought more big bass on my emtf than any other I've owned. Its the only mb rod i have left
I sold my emtf only because of weight and I regret it. But Ive found two new super versatile rods for my style of fishing the Phenix k2 714 and Andrea 6'11" m+ can do jerkbaits to finesse jigs and everything in-between and a 904 conquest for the heavier stuff
Last edited by bronzebacks on Thu May 11, 2023 7:30 am, edited 1 time in total.

Thunderblack1984
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Thunderblack1984 » Thu May 11, 2023 5:08 am

Steez 7'-6" ML/M
G. Loomis 842S or 843C
Any St. Croix 7' M F
gen 1 Quantum Smoke 7' MH
Crucial 6-10 M F
Philippians 4:6

MardukFIN
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by MardukFIN » Thu May 11, 2023 9:28 am

I have found that MHX New Elite Pro Series NEPS87MLXF is most versatile rod i use. I like it very much.

_diggy_
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by _diggy_ » Thu May 11, 2023 12:38 pm

bronzebacks wrote:
Wed May 10, 2023 6:42 am

I sold my emtf only because of weight and I regret it. But Ive found two new super versatile rods for my style of fishing the Phenix k2 714 and Andrena 6'11" m+ can do jerkbaits to finesse jigs and everything in-between and a 904 conquest for the heavier stuff
I just saw one for sale recently. I used my emtf the other day, it's been a minute (it was sitting on the rack looking sad). The balance is pretty good even with the weight being heavier than similar length rods I own.

oops
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by oops » Thu May 11, 2023 2:37 pm

When I'm shore fishing for a few hours and may have to throw a few things to figure out what the fish want, there's no question what casting rod is coming with me. I'm grabbing my NRX+ 903c. Absolutely killer rod that can really throw anything. So stoked this rod came to the NRX+ lineup. In addition to its versatility, I simply cannot imagine a better Dark Sleeper rod existing. I wouldn't bother looking for a better spinnerbait or swimjig rod either. Inshore fishing 1/4-5/8oz coast to coast in the US? Look no further. 893c, 821s NRR and 903c are my holy trinity of 10/10 rod purchases, but when it comes to versatility, it's the 903c all day.