Your most versatile rod?

A specialized forum to discuss anything and everything about your favorite or not so favorite fishing rods.
MeatHead
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Re: Your most versatile rod?

Post by MeatHead » Wed Jan 13, 2021 4:55 pm

Have unfortunately had limited trips with it since getting it for Christmas, but the few trips I've been able to make I've got to say my Tatula Elite 7' MMH AGS. Haven't got close to throwing near the top end of its range yet but pleasantly surprised how well it threw my usual 1/8oz jighead and 3 inch curltail grub/paddle tail swimbait combo for shallow water flounder and redfish. Handled 1/4oz Z-man chatterbaits and spinnerbaits with trailer easily too.

Obz
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Obz » Thu Jan 14, 2021 4:48 pm

Glx 854 will throw weightless plastics, moving baits, jigs, frogs.

godshippy
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by godshippy » Fri Jan 15, 2021 10:21 am

mark poulson wrote:
Wed Jan 13, 2021 3:02 pm
godshippy wrote:
Wed Jan 13, 2021 12:05 pm
mark poulson wrote:
Thu Jan 07, 2021 8:02 am
Older Powell Max 733 casting rod. With the right light spool reel, I can throw anything from 1/4oz to 1 1/2oz, and with accuracy.
Dude...literally my favorite rod that I kick myself all the time for selling. I wish I still had this stick! Lowkey amazing versatility.
The people at Powell said this one is the closest now available. I'm keeping it as my ace in the hole.

Powell Endurance Casting Rod 7'3" Med Hvy
733C MHEF- For an all-around jig and plastics rod, this one is at the top of its game. Featuring an incredibly versatile length and power rating, the 733 is perfect for so many baits we’d need a whole page just to name half of them. It’s hard to go wrong with a few of these in your rod locker!

Taper Line Wt. Lure Wt. Guides Handle Type Handle Length Stock Price Qty
Extra Fast 10-17lb 1/4-3/4oz 10+Tip Endurance B 15-1/2" In Stock: 5+ $149.99
I've been eyeing this, but haven't pulled the trigger thinking it wouldn't be the same.

If I find one, then I'll definitely let you know.

bigfruits
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by bigfruits » Fri Jan 15, 2021 1:39 pm

i broke a nrx 843 and was sent a conquest 843 when i did the xpeditor service.

not my favorite or the most sensitive rod in my quiver but probably the most versatile. very different rod from the nrx 843, quite a bit more powerful. i mainly use it for 3/8-1/2oz weight plus worm and single hook moving baits in the 1/2oz range.

that being said, i wouldnt pay conquest prices for it.

for a versatile rod on the heavier side id choose the old MB Destruction. wish it was a little longer.

jmd_143
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by jmd_143 » Sat Jan 16, 2021 3:25 am

Nrx 843c. No question.

_diggy_
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by _diggy_ » Sat Jan 16, 2021 4:23 am

Probably my Powell Endurance 765 range = 3/8-3oz
-
This is listed in the specs for usage on the site: Heavier Jigs, TX Rigs, Senkos, Spinnerbaits
-
This is the description on the site:
Whether you’re slow-rolling a deep ledge with a hefty spinnerbait, throwing a big topwater around isolated treetops, or fan-casting a glidebait, we designed this one for you. Aptly dubbed our “utility” rod, this is a supreme choice for a wide variety of moving-bait techniques with heftier offerings—but don’t let this fool you. It can easily pull double duty with big jigs and worms, too!
-
The rod has swimbaits and glidebaits printed on the blank
-
I have used it for everything when bringing one rod
(senkos, frogging, swimbaits, ploppers, etc)

rando
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by rando » Sat Jan 16, 2021 8:48 am

_diggy_ wrote:
Sat Jan 16, 2021 4:23 am
-
This is listed in the specs for usage on the site: Heavier Jigs, TX Rigs, Senkos, Spinnerbaits
-
Whether you’re slow-rolling a deep ledge with a hefty spinnerbait, throwing a big topwater around isolated treetops, or fan-casting a glidebait, we designed this one for you. Aptly dubbed our “utility” rod, this is a supreme choice for a wide variety of moving-bait techniques with heftier offerings—but don’t let this fool you. It can easily pull double duty with big jigs and worms, too!
-
-
I have the same spec inferno and I second this. Very very versatile and I can only imagine endurance is a step up.

I used mine for big paddle tails for pike. Need to replace the ring on the tip tho cuz it fell out tho.

goldrod
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by goldrod » Sat Jan 16, 2021 9:48 am

After reading this post multiple times ( to get a break from the chaos of work right now is chaos unbridled) I had time to really look at my rod rack and think about this question.

My selection would be rod and reel combo
Power Versatile and IP68
X7 Extreme Mission/ IP79
Valkyrie 7’1” spiral wrapped rod
St. Croix Legend Elite 7’4” heavy
H3 Medium Heavy D7
IMX 843 conquest 100hG

The more and more I use the power versatile the more uses I find for it.
The St. Croix LE is an amazing all around rod
The Valkyrie is a truly underrated rod that can go from reaction to plastics albeit more suited for cranks , spinnerbaits , jackhammers , swimbait, swim jigs and topwater but is no slouch at pitching plastics or t-rigs.

I’m out of time but the IMX843 is golden
For by him were all things created, that are in heaven, and that are in earth, visible and invisible

djd
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by djd » Sat Jan 16, 2021 7:44 pm

_diggy_ wrote:
Sat Jan 16, 2021 4:23 am
-
-
-
-
When I lived in Florida the Powell Max 765 was the most versatile rod (owned 4) on my boat. Used them for light T-Rigs, swim jigs, buzz frogs, buzzbaits, skinny dippers and small swim baits, senkos and flukes with 1/8oz

new2BC4bass
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by new2BC4bass » Sat Jan 16, 2021 8:00 pm

I always bought my rods with the idea of versatility in mind. It wasn't until years later that I started looking at technique specific rods, but even then I'd venture to guess that they aren't one trick ponies. I honestly haven't tried to see how many different types of lures I can fish on any specific rod.

Going by what I've read from other users I'd put several rods in that category.

Gen1 Diablo Spec R
Toadface
Deputy
Dream
RX7 Rainshadow MHF
Helios MF
Tatula 6'10" MHF
spinning Smallmouth 6'9" M-EF

and no doubt several other rods that can do a lot. "Most"....I have no idea.

EDIT: As someone that started fishing at 5 I have to say that one rod is all I had for a good many years. I fished live bait and small artificial lures without ever realizing the rod wasn't made for all that.

KP Duty
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by KP Duty » Tue Jan 19, 2021 7:53 am

My 893nrx. Last prespawn I took 2 rods to a small impoundment and was down to just the 893 after an overrun early on. No problem apparently. I was able to throw a finesse jig, 1/2oz spinnerbait, mr crankbait, and then a 1/4oz trap when a school of sand bass crossed my path. Did everything that day well, with the surprise being how well it did with moving baits.

DenhamBruce
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by DenhamBruce » Tue Jan 19, 2021 8:54 am

NFC MB736

eagleriver1_fish
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by eagleriver1_fish » Wed Jan 20, 2021 7:18 pm

MB Evoluzion Super Diablo II

eyra_kid
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by eyra_kid » Fri Jan 22, 2021 1:16 pm

Answered this on another forum. St Croix LTB 7' MedFast. It's exactly what I want a medium rod to be, and has so many uses. I do have a lot of love for the MBR843 also, but my two LTB see more use than my two 843.

jwfflipper14
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by jwfflipper14 » Fri Jan 22, 2021 6:32 pm

domthewon wrote:
Fri Jan 08, 2021 11:29 pm
I’d have to say 7’0mh poison ultima, X4 MB Destruction,Steez Racing Design 701mh/h Hustler, Evergreen Stallion any version of the 4 I own, OG MB XTIorXFTI Diablo, MB Og evo Elsiel, and the Evergreen Black Raven Extreme. Sorry I can’t choose one and I know I’m missing a few.
Been wanting to get a Hustler for a while now.
How does it fish compared to other Steez rods
RiverValleyCrankbaits
Picasso
K-9 Flourocarbon