Ultimate weightless senko and 1/4-3/8oz jig rod

A specialized forum to discuss anything and everything about your favorite or not so favorite fishing rods.
DrPerf
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: Ultimate weightless senko and 1/4-3/8oz jig rod

Post by DrPerf » Thu Feb 04, 2021 10:47 am

I used a NRX 893C for a few years, primarily with unweighted/weighted Senkos. A couple of years ago, I compared a Conquest 903C and Megabass F5-75X Javelin as potential replacements for the NRX. After using the Javelin a couple times, I sold the NRX. Sensitivity seemed essentially equal to the NRX and the Javelin is much more versatile. And it looks gorgeous with a Steez SV TW for the 'aesthetics' factor.

freelancer27
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by freelancer27 » Thu Feb 04, 2021 11:34 am

Narrowing the list down a bit more.

I think the

Megabass X-Bites
Phenix 714 (MH)
Shimano Poison Adrena (MH)

Are in close selection now.

Yeah, the NRX might be the most sensitive rod, but I think one is splitting hairs on this level and balance and looks become more important.

freelancer27
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by freelancer27 » Thu Feb 18, 2021 10:56 am

Decided to go with the NRX 893c.

Had a long look at other rods, but it is THE NRX to have in the line up and also provides one of the best warranties out there, it was hard to pass on. Also got a good deal on one, now the waiting begins!

oops
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by oops » Tue Apr 06, 2021 6:36 am

I know you already bought the rod and that it now appears to be out of production as we await a new NRX line, but if anyone else visits this thread, I just wanted to pile on the 893c NRX train. I've spent too much money on too much tackle in my life and have some regrets here and there. The 893c will never be one of them. It is the best rod I've ever fished and probably always will be. I use it for exactly the lures you've mentioned, and it is perfection. Paired with braid main line and fluoro leader, you can clearly distinguish one type of bottom/structure from another. Knowing the difference between a bite and not a bite is child's play. I dont care for spinning gear for bass but bought an NRX822 SYR anyway. Phenomenal rod. Close to a 10/10 and hard to imagine a bottom contact rod could be much better. The 893c is much better.

The only thing I cant say about the rod that is glowing with positivity is that its very tip heavy, which isnt something I ever want a bottom contact rod to be. A couple nickels and a chair leg cap solve the problem easily and match with the rods design.

freelancer27
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by freelancer27 » Tue Apr 06, 2021 10:49 am

oops wrote:
Tue Apr 06, 2021 6:36 am
I know you already bought the rod and that it now appears to be out of production as we await a new NRX line, but if anyone else visits this thread, I just wanted to pile on the 893c NRX train. I've spent too much money on too much tackle in my life and have some regrets here and there. The 893c will never be one of them. It is the best rod I've ever fished and probably always will be. I use it for exactly the lures you've mentioned, and it is perfection. Paired with braid main line and fluoro leader, you can clearly distinguish one type of bottom/structure from another. Knowing the difference between a bite and not a bite is child's play. I dont care for spinning gear for bass but bought an NRX822 SYR anyway. Phenomenal rod. Close to a 10/10 and hard to imagine a bottom contact rod could be much better. The 893c is much better.

The only thing I cant say about the rod that is glowing with positivity is that its very tip heavy, which isnt something I ever want a bottom contact rod to be. A couple nickels and a chair leg cap solve the problem easily and match with the rods design.
I have to agree with you 100%. I have now fished the NRX 893c for a couple of weeks and I think I am ready to give an early assessment of the rod and compare a bit against my other rods in my current arsenal.

In my hands, it is THE most sensitive rod I own! More sensitive than the NRX 852c and more sensitive than the Steez Bottom Contact. I have not fished a rod that is THAT sensitive! Period!

I am running the rod with a Antares 70, which helps with the tip-heavy character of the rod. It almost completely erases the issue. I am running #27 Seaguar R18 braid to #12 FC Shooter on it.

In terms of power, I heard a lot of people saying that the rod was already maxed out with a 3/8oz jig. So, I was a bit worried that I had bought a rod that was too whippy to set the hook on anything above a 1/4oz lure. Well, for me, this rod can easily handle a 3/8oz jig + trailer and you could even throw an open hook - 1/2oz lure on it easily.

I love this blank! This action of the tip with the back bone is just a pleasure to fish with!

Honestly I am not sure what they could improve on the next generation NRX. Yes, they could replace the guides with full torzites. But that will most likely make the rod a bit heavier and also will potentially reduce the sensitivity.

All in all, an awesome rod that is just a lot of fun to fish with.

It also perfectly fits into my NRX collection of NRX 852s, 852c and 804c. Also was able to get a good deal on this particular rod (as well as my NRXs in general).

If you are on the fence between a Xbites (that is slightly more powerful), MH ZBONE, 714 K2 and 903 Conquest. I would go with the 893c again, no doubt!

goldrod
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by goldrod » Tue Apr 06, 2021 11:36 am

eagleriver1_fish wrote:
Thu Feb 04, 2021 9:31 am
Drakestar wrote:
Thu Feb 04, 2021 8:41 am
eagleriver1_fish wrote:
Thu Feb 04, 2021 7:05 am
freelancer27 wrote:
Wed Feb 03, 2021 7:57 pm
eagleriver1_fish wrote:
Wed Feb 03, 2021 10:54 am
If only looking at sensitivity the NRX 893 is as good as I have fished for jigs and unweighted senkos.
YEah, from a pure USDM sensitivity point of view, the NRX 893c is the choice. But for some reason I want to try something new that also has a bit more sex-appeal (together with the 2019 Antares) than the NRX.
If that is the case you may want to edit your initial question/request.
I think the topic and initial post are accurate: "ultimate" doesn't necessarily mean "most sensitive". I understand that many people equate sensitivity to "the best", but there's an equally big crowd that looks for a top-of-the-line blank that might be a hair less sensitive than an NRX, but has way better balance and optics.

To me, the choices (if paired with an Antares 70) are between the X-Bites and the K2 714 (I have that K2/Antares combo and love it). Or a custom-built Xray 733 or K2 with good balance and high-end components that match the Antares. I might even have thrown the Xtasy 723 into the mix, but I know that Freelancer27 isn't a fan of the series (because its sensitivity is a bit too low to keep the rod in that "ultimate" category).
I agree there are many factors that go into what someone thinks makes up the ultimate rod for any technique and we all weigh these attributes differently. That is why I said only considering sensitivity, I wasn't suggesting it is the ultimate jig rod. He specifically said he was looking for adding sensitivity and didn't say anything about appearance or any other attributes that are important to him so I didn't comment on those.

He also listed only 3 rods as the ones under consideration and then ruled out one because of looks. I guess I don't understand why he listed the NRX893 in the first place. It isn't like that rods appearance has changed in the last couple decades much less days :).

No biggie, I was just trying to help get clarity as to what is most important to him with regard to the "ultimate" rod. I guess we can just disagree on how clear the initial post was or wasn't.

Sex-appeal 🤔
I’ve seen a lot of sexiness but there’s not many head turners in the USDM in my humble opinion. The Racing design is one of the sexiest in the JDM that I can think of. Evergreen rods are just as stunning to look at as well
In my unbiased point of view when it comes to sex appeal that’s one of Megabass’ strong suits. The new P5 super destroyer is sexy with the carbon fiber bits. I’ve not sampled all rods in either market but the edge black widow does have some sex-appeal to it.
For by him were all things created, that are in heaven, and that are in earth, visible and invisible

CFDoc
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by CFDoc » Tue Apr 06, 2021 12:18 pm

Many many years ago I had an NRX. It wasn't the 893 though.

Anyways, I have an X-bites now and would highly recommend this rod to anybody looking for the "ultimate" senko & 1/4oz - 3/8 oz rod.

It really has it all. Looks. Balance. Sensitivity.

For whatever reason, it seems to skip wacky senkos further than my other rods too. I have no problems making aggressive roll casts and getting the senko to "ski" a very long ways across the water. I think it's because the tip is very consistent and I have a lot of confidence in getting the bait to hit the water exactly how I want cast after cast.

freelancer27
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by freelancer27 » Tue Apr 06, 2021 12:44 pm

CFDoc wrote:
Tue Apr 06, 2021 12:18 pm

Anyways, I have an X-bites now and would highly recommend this rod to anybody looking for the "ultimate" senko & 1/4oz - 3/8 oz rod.

For whatever reason, it seems to skip wacky senkos further than my other rods too. I have no problems making aggressive roll casts and getting the senko to "ski" a very long ways across the water. I think it's because the tip is very consistent and I have a lot of confidence in getting the bait to hit the water exactly how I want cast after cast.
I have to respectfully disagree with you on the Xbites based on my personal experience.

I fished the XBites only briefly but in this time the following did not make me keep it:

* Balance. It felt rather tip heavy to me as well. So, I was like "well if I get a tip heavy rod, might as well go with the NRX". Also I felt that the handle was not that comfortable since it fairly small. I have larger hands and I hae to grip the handle perfectly to have my hand fully on the grip. I have a similar challenge with my P5 Super Destroyer. Oh well, Japanese hands are just a bit smaller than German hands I guess. ;-)

* Looks. This is very subjective one. Yes, the fit and finish of the P5s is better. It is just cleaner. But I have to say that the NRX (manual work look) is pretty appealing to me with its very performance focused look. Yes, I wished that the guide wrapping would be a bit better, but oh well, I only see it when I look very closely at it.

* Warranty: WIth Megabass you get a good first year warranty, after that you are basically forced to buy a new rod. Also the transfer of warranty is a joke.

* Sensitivity: The XBites is great. No question about it, but I feel the softer tip of the 893c, gives the NRX still the edge.

Cheers!

CFDoc
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by CFDoc » Tue Apr 06, 2021 2:12 pm

freelancer27 wrote:
I have to respectfully disagree with you on the Xbites based on my personal experience.

No worries here.

I agree with a lot of what you said. The warranty is what it is. No denying that.

Also, the handle is very small. Fortunately, when I cast, I have a large portion of my palm up on the reel. So I don’t notice anything unusually about the grip. I feel the same way about Poison Adrenas. Very small grips that could easily be uncomfortable for large hands or people that cast with the thumb really being the only connection to the reel.

I’ve only ever put a Metanium on my X-bites and the balance was right at my palm with that reel. I could easily see other reels being a problem. My nrx was very tip heavy but again, it wasn’t the 893.

I will maintain though that the P5’s are some of the sexiest looking rods out there though.

freelancer27
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by freelancer27 » Tue Apr 06, 2021 3:23 pm

CFDoc wrote:
Tue Apr 06, 2021 2:12 pm
freelancer27 wrote:

I will maintain though that the P5’s are some of the sexiest looking rods out there though.
Agreed! The only sexier looking rod I own is a Megabass T.S. Blackjack. JDM rods just have the edge here. Heck, I got a 35USD BFS rod from Aliexpress the other day that had better guide wrapping than my 500+ NRX.. :crying:

Chode
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Chode » Wed May 05, 2021 8:11 pm

freelancer27 wrote:
Tue Apr 06, 2021 12:44 pm
CFDoc wrote:

I fished the XBites only briefly but in this time the following did not make me keep it:

* Balance. It felt rather tip heavy to me as well. So, I was like "well if I get a tip heavy rod, might as well go with the NRX". Also I felt that the handle was not that comfortable since it fairly small. I have larger hands and I hae to grip the handle perfectly to have my hand fully on the grip. I have a similar challenge with my P5 Super Destroyer. Oh well, Japanese hands are just a bit smaller than German hands I guess. ;-)

* Looks. This is very subjective one. Yes, the fit and finish of the P5s is better. It is just cleaner. But I have to say that the NRX (manual work look) is pretty appealing to me with its very performance focused look. Yes, I wished that the guide wrapping would be a bit better, but oh well, I only see it when I look very closely at it.

* Warranty: WIth Megabass you get a good first year warranty, after that you are basically forced to buy a new rod. Also the transfer of warranty is a joke.

* Sensitivity: The XBites is great. No question about it, but I feel the softer tip of the 893c, gives the NRX still the edge.

Cheers!
Interesting. If the xbites isn't balanced, what rods do u consider balanced?

freelancer27
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by freelancer27 » Thu May 06, 2021 8:06 pm

Chode wrote:
Wed May 05, 2021 8:11 pm
freelancer27 wrote:
Tue Apr 06, 2021 12:44 pm
CFDoc wrote:

Cheers!
Interesting. If the xbites isn't balanced, what rods do u consider balanced?
I had my Steez SV TW on it and it just felt tip heavy in my hands. Can't exactly recall where the balance point was, but I just was not convinced. It is a sexy looking rod, but when I factor the balance point, warranty and small handle in, the NRX made just more sense that I got for 50USD more at that point in time.

I do have a P5 SD and a P5 TB, so it is not just a biased anti Megabass opinion ;-)