What's your rod lineup for this year

A specialized forum to discuss anything and everything about your favorite or not so favorite fishing rods.
bronzebacks
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: What's your rod lineup for this year

Post by bronzebacks » Wed Apr 07, 2021 7:41 am

CFDoc wrote:
Tue Apr 06, 2021 11:30 am
bronzebacks wrote:
Tue Apr 06, 2021 6:35 am

Poison adrena 6'11" m+

What are you using yours for?

I can't seem to find a wheelhouse for this one yet.
I like it for tx rigged weightless flukes and 4" paddle tails with 1/8 and 3\16 oz heads. I think it will be a great topwater rod. I tried it with the 110 and liked it bit didn't get bit. I did not like it for spinnerbaits or chatterbaits. I feel like it would be a good trap rod but haven't tried yet.

ftl1951
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by ftl1951 » Wed Apr 07, 2021 7:53 am

HobeyBaker wrote:
Tue Apr 06, 2021 10:55 am

How do the 872, Wind Buster, and 7'3 Victory compare?
I find this very interesting as each of these rods has a different personality than the other. They are similar, but uniquely different. The 872 is by far one of the best spinning rods i have fished with - truly. The Wind Buster is beautiful, light and responsive and has surprising power. The 7'3" Victory is a real surprise. Unbelievably light and very crisp. It feels a little softer than the 872, but it is just as comfortable to fish. While $200 isn't cheap, it is an exceptional value compared to the other two. For the price, i cannot see any other rod in the market giving the same level of performance and fun factor than the Victory. I've owned other St Croix rods in the past and have never been a fan. Nice products, but they just didn't fish the same as other brands. What ever their new plans are, they really hit the mark with this series. I have fished with all three side by side and while i do not have a ton of time on them yet, they all perform really well. I find i enjoy throwing jerk baits on the Windbuster more than the other two. I have tried several different baits on the Victory and so far I love it with jig heads, soft plastics and even some finesse spinner baits with each feeling nearly perfect. The NRX is just good as gold with anything i throw on it. I do use it a lot for small swim baits and just have a blast. I also like throwing soft plastics, especially unweighted Senkos because of its sensitivity. If i find anything else as the season goes on, i will update this and let you know if my opinions change...

HobeyBaker
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by HobeyBaker » Wed Apr 07, 2021 8:26 am

ftl1951 wrote:
Wed Apr 07, 2021 7:53 am
HobeyBaker wrote:

I find this very interesting as each of these rods has a different personality than the other. They are similar, but uniquely different. The 872 is by far one of the best spinning rods i have fished with - truly. The Wind Buster is beautiful, light and responsive and has surprising power. The 7'3" Victory is a real surprise. Unbelievably light and very crisp. It feels a little softer than the 872, but it is just as comfortable to fish. While $200 isn't cheap, it is an exceptional value compared to the other two. For the price, i cannot see any other rod in the market giving the same level of performance and fun factor than the Victory. I've owned other St Croix rods in the past and have never been a fan. Nice products, but they just didn't fish the same as other brands. What ever their new plans are, they really hit the mark with this series. I have fished with all three side by side and while i do not have a ton of time on them yet, they all perform really well. I find i enjoy throwing jerk baits on the Windbuster more than the other two. I have tried several different baits on the Victory and so far I love it with jig heads, soft plastics and even some finesse spinner baits with each feeling nearly perfect. The NRX is just good as gold with anything i throw on it. I do use it a lot for small swim baits and just have a blast. I also like throwing soft plastics, especially unweighted Senkos because of its sensitivity. If i find anything else as the season goes on, i will update this and let you know if my opinions change...
The 872 always gets good reviews and seems to be the go-to stick for Loomis sponsored pros that are smallmouth guys. I have two 7'6 Steez MML (that I love), so I just think it would be a little redundant in my lineup. I have a Victory 6'10 MLXF and I agree that they do seem a little softer than the comparable NRX. That blank seems to be what an 821 DSR Loomis would be. St Croix does seem to be on the right track with these actions, so I'm hoping they make their way over to the Legend lineup.

djd
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by djd » Thu Apr 08, 2021 12:49 pm

At the moment here is what I have, or at least what I remember putting in the boat a few weeks ago...

Casting
(3) MB Destoyer FMJs
(1) MB Destoyer Daemos (Had 2 others, but they broke on back2back outings)
(1) MB XX Gen 1 DSR (Needs new guide)
(2) MB XX Gen 1 EMTF
(1) MB XX Gen 1 Flatside Special
(2) MB XX Aklys
(2) MB Black Jungle Deep Cranking Slow Rolling
(2) Dobyns Champ XP 705 CB Glass
(1) Dobyns Champ XP 735 CB Glass
(2) Dobyns Champ XP 765 CB Glass

Spinning
(2) MB XX Gen 1 Shakey Head
(1) MB X4 Drop Shot Rod

In all honesty, too many rods. Really looking to consolidate my chatterbait/spinnerbait/buzzbait/topwater rods to 1 or 2 models from Daemos, DSR, Deep Cranking Slow Rolling, 705 CB Glass, 735 CB Glass. The Daemos is going to be removed from the lineup soon and maybe the Deep Cranking Slow Rolling rods (but they are such great chatterbait rods...ughhh). Oh well, better too many rods than not enough!

Gone Phishin
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Gone Phishin » Thu Apr 08, 2021 1:45 pm

ftl1951 wrote:
HobeyBaker wrote:

Do you feel confident throwing a 5" unweighted Senko with your 872?

ftl1951
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by ftl1951 » Thu Apr 08, 2021 3:37 pm

Gone Phishin wrote:
Thu Apr 08, 2021 1:45 pm
ftl1951 wrote:
HobeyBaker wrote:

Do you feel confident throwing a 5" unweighted Senko with your 872?
I throw 4” and 5” Senkos using a 2/0 wg hook. I tried the 6” with the 872, but find it just a little too much for the rod. I’ve used a lot of different baits and haven’t been disappointed. I don’t try to throw larger, heavier lures but keep with a bit more finesse applications.

bwjay
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by bwjay » Thu Apr 08, 2021 4:33 pm

While my rod arsenal has grown, it's still fairly small compared to some of you.

Spinning
Shimano Zodias 6'9" MLF (16lb braid- Panfish/Bass/Walleye- small moving baits, drop shot, Ned, slip bobbin, vertical jigging)
Kistler Helium3 7'0" MLF (10lb braid- Bass/Walleye- slip bobbin, vertical jigging... might sell this one)
Kistler Helium3 6'8" LMHF (16lb braid- Bass/Walleye/Lake Trout- topwater, moving baits, vertical jigging, finesse when I only bring 1 spinning combo out)

Casting
Kistler Helium3 6'8" LMHF (30lb braid- Bass/Pike/Lake Trout- topwater, moving baits, smaller jigs, weightless 4-5" Senkos)
Kistler Helium3 6'9" MHXF (15lb FC- Bass/Pike/Lake Trout- jerkbaits, moving baits, worms, jigs, basically everything)
Kistler Helium3 7'0" HXF (40lb braid- Bass/Pike- frogs, big topwater, flipping, glides)
Shimano Expride 7'3" XHF (65lb braid- Bass/Pike- frogs, flipping/punching)

When I'm actually out on the kayak or a friend/family's boat...

Spring/Fall
S- Zodias 6'9MLF
S- Helium3 7'0MLF
C- Helium3 6'8LMHF
C- Helium3 6'9MHXF

Summer
S- Helium3 6'8LMHF
C- Helium3 6'9MHXF
C- Helium3 7'0HXF
C- Expride 7'3XHF

Gone Phishin
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Gone Phishin » Thu Apr 08, 2021 6:29 pm

Thanks ftl.

TravisNY
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by TravisNY » Sat Apr 10, 2021 6:55 pm

Smallmouth here:

All of the Conquest spins and a few select NRX. IMX Pros for anything trebles/“moving”.

Easy

new2BC4bass
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by new2BC4bass » Mon Apr 12, 2021 5:24 am

I don't even have an old (or new) tin can to fish out of, and my rod collection is a lot more ridiculous than yours. Nothing compared to any one else here as I don't have the budget to be spending hundreds on every rod. BUT I do occasionally come across higher priced rods at a price I feel comfortable with.

Custom MH and Light purchased from Tim Starnes. Thanks so much Tim.
Orochi XX Diablo Spec R
Champion 704CB Glass
Helium 3 7'3" LMHF
Helium 3 7' M-XF
Helium 3 7'1" MH-EF
Shaman 7' 1" H-EF
Shaman 7' MHF
Rainshadow RX 7' MHF...love this rod
Rainshadow RX 8 7' MHF spiral wrap
Smallmouth ET 6'10" MF Love it.
OG Falcon Expert 6'9" LF
Lew’s Custom Pro Speed Stick 7’6” MF
iRod Gabe’s Rip Rap Special
iRod 703C
Tharp Money Maker
Tharp B-Hittay
Fantasista Regista spinning and baitcast
Zolo Toadface, Deputy and Dream
Ark Sniper 7' MF

Bunch of OG Tatulas and Fenwick Elite Tech Smallmouth. Just the tip of the list. Add Quantum, Hammer, Abu, more Falcons, more Daiwas, more Fenwicks, Cabela Prodigy, Okuma, Phenix, St. Croix....well you get the idea. :lol:

Schlag
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Schlag » Tue Apr 13, 2021 11:40 am

new2BC4bass wrote:
Mon Apr 12, 2021 5:24 am
OG Falcon Expert 6'9" LF
Nice! An old school classic. I always wanted one of those. What lures do you mainly fish with it?

hoohoorjoo
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by hoohoorjoo » Tue Apr 13, 2021 6:06 pm

new2BC4bass wrote:
Mon Apr 12, 2021 5:24 am
Custom MH and Light purchased from Tim Starnes. Thanks so much Tim.
You're very welcome! Glad they went to someone who would appreciate and also actually USE them.
Try not to let your mind wander. It is much too small to be outside unsupervised.

ChubbyGoby28
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by ChubbyGoby28 » Mon Apr 19, 2021 9:02 pm

I mostly fish lake michigan for smallies here are my favorite combos

Spinning
-NRX 901 & VANFORD 2500- HAIR JIG, DEEP DROPSHOT, MOJO RIG
-NRX 902 & STELLA 2500 - SWIMBAITS FROM 1/16-TO-3/8 OZ.
Conquest 902 w 3000 sustain -- swimbaits, long distance casting.
- FENWICK ELITE TECH DROPSHOT ROD 6'7" MEDIUM STRADIC 2500 - DEEP DROPSHOT, BED FISHING
- 13 Fuse 7'2" medium light w Daiwa Kage lt 2500. All around used for mini tubes, grubs, darters, neko, flick shake, senko.
-13 envy black 2 7'3" mag medium 2500 daiwa Kage lt. Designated Tube rod, 5" senko
-Poison Adrena 6'7" vanford 2000- spybait, small jerkbaits, finesse.

Casting
NRX 6'8" med heavy - aldebaran hg -- finesse jigs, grubs, tubes, finesse bottom contact.
-Poison adreana 610+ w Aldebaran 51 hg - medium to large jerkbaits and top waters
-13 Envy 2 6'8" jerk pop rod- 13 Z Silde reel- small to medium sized jerks and topwaters
-Poison Adrena 7'3" MH - aldebaran 51 hg -- swim jig, tightrope/finesse jigs,
-Poison Adrena 7'4" h -- metanium hg -- larger finesse jigs, flukes, carolina rigs, t rigs.
-13 Envy 2 Chatter/crank 7'4" medium heavy moderate w 13 Z slide hg -- long distance moving baits. Spinnerbait, chatterbait, swimjig.
-G. Loomis 813 SBR MH - metanium hg -- target spinnerbait fishing
-Shimano Expride 7'2" medium heavy glass -- Calcutta conquest -- chatterbait, shallow/medium cranks
-NRX 916 - Metanium XG -- A rig, flipping and punching
-conquest 903C 7'6" MH - swimbaits

Dalleinf
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Dalleinf » Fri Apr 23, 2021 10:31 pm

I have a large amount of rods and love many of my Daiwa, Megabass, G. Loomis and St. Croix rods etc.
However, this year I have purchased some custom build rods - some have come in and some I eagerly await. I think I will only buy custom from now on.
Attachments
662BAEC1-E4BA-4052-ACC4-2398F8B25822.png
662BAEC1-E4BA-4052-ACC4-2398F8B25822.png (80.31 KiB) Viewed 4604 times

Dragonstop852
Angler
Angler

Post by Dragonstop852 » Sun Oct 17, 2021 9:15 am

If there is anyone which owns a Megabass Destroyer P5 7'2 Windbuster, I was hoping you might help me out with my concern about the size of the guides on the rod, and whether you feel a double-uni knot would or wouldn't have any issues passing through the guides without major headaches. I have some dexterity issues from an injury and I haven't been able to actually see or hold the rod, so I have no idea what they're like. I recently bought a Levante sight unseen, and didn't see anything in the rod description to caution me, but when I got the rod out of the tube I couldn't believe how tiny those guides were. I've decided to keep it. As a $200 rod, I can still enjoy it though I will just use straight FC with it. But I don't want to be in that position with a
$475 rod. Thanx for the help if I get lucky with someone who knows the rod!