Ark Reinforcer Sensitivity

A specialized forum to discuss anything and everything about your favorite or not so favorite fishing rods.
Drakestar
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Re: Ark Reinforcer Sensitivity

Post by Drakestar » Mon May 03, 2021 9:02 am

Fished my 7'1" MH XF in a clearwater rocky reservoir this weekend. Threw a couple of 3/8oz jigs + trailer (easily 0.8oz total weight) and TBH I wasn't impressed with the blank. I could feel every bump into a rock right away, but between rocks, the stick felt dead to me. There's a bunch of pea gravel and larger pebble beds in the water, and I didn't really feel those clearly. Turns out I was on a reaction bite and no fish ever hit the jig, so I can't vouch for bite detection yet. Didn't bring a GLX for comparison, either, but the Reinforcer definitely feels less sensitive than my 843 (which is a power lighter, so maybe no surprise there), and from memory it also feels less sensitive than my GLX 855 JWR (which is a power heavier). I think I'll bring that one next time for a side-by-side comparison, haven't fished the 855 for 6 months or so.

To me the Reinforcer plays in the Expride category, and at $270 (on sale) it's not a bad investment if that's your expectation. If you live for that bone-jarring "I was tempted to set the hook on every rock and snag!" kinda experience that we get from true high-end rods (and I think the GLX is the entryway into that feeling), this one isn't it.

Chode
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Chode » Mon May 03, 2021 4:30 pm

Drakestar wrote:
Mon May 03, 2021 9:02 am
Fished my 7'1" MH XF in a clearwater rocky reservoir this weekend. Threw a couple of 3/8oz jigs + trailer (easily 0.8oz total weight) and TBH I wasn't impressed with the blank. I could feel every bump into a rock right away, but between rocks, the stick felt dead to me. There's a bunch of pea gravel and larger pebble beds in the water, and I didn't really feel those clearly. Turns out I was on a reaction bite and no fish ever hit the jig, so I can't vouch for bite detection yet. Didn't bring a GLX for comparison, either, but the Reinforcer definitely feels less sensitive than my 843 (which is a power lighter, so maybe no surprise there), and from memory it also feels less sensitive than my GLX 855 JWR (which is a power heavier). I think I'll bring that one next time for a side-by-side comparison, haven't fished the 855 for 6 months or so.

To me the Reinforcer plays in the Expride category, and at $270 (on sale) it's not a bad investment if that's your expectation. If you live for that bone-jarring "I was tempted to set the hook on every rock and snag!" kinda experience that we get from true high-end rods (and I think the GLX is the entryway into that feeling), this one isn't it.
well that's not good. i was hoping u'd be able to detect the fishies' heartbeat

eagleriver1_fish
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by eagleriver1_fish » Tue May 04, 2021 3:25 pm

Drakestar wrote:
Mon May 03, 2021 9:02 am

I was following this thread to get more feedback on these rods as the TW sale was approaching.

Drakestar & tjmfishing, Thank you for your honest assessment of the Reinforcer rods you fished, your reviews were very helpful. I had heard a couple over the top reviews along with a couple reviews that were in line with yours so I was on the fence as to whether or not I would purchase during the TW sale. Thanks again!

Drakestar
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Drakestar » Sat May 22, 2021 3:55 pm

Finally got to catch a couple of jig fish on this rod today, with the bigger one clocking in around 4lbs. The experience reinforced my impression that this is a very capable rod that you're not gonna miss any fish on, it just doesn't have that fireworks and unicorn feeling you get from super high-end rods. Caught the first fish close to shore just beyond the grass line (inhale bite) and I immediately felt compelled to set the hook. Hooked into the second fish 50 feet out on an offshore rock, that was more of a tick that was transmitted well across the distance (braid to 12 foot fluoro leader). Power is there, as well, the rod manhandled that 4 pounder with no room for negotiation. The rod transmitted grass much better than I expected, but on rocky bottom it still feels deader to me than I expect.

Not a mistake to buy (especially at the discount I got it at), it'll do the job well. That said, at $350 I'd probably encourage people to add an additional 50 bucks and get an FMJ instead (once that's available again). In my mind that FMJ punches above it's weight class (and has some fireworks and some unicorns), while the Reinforcer is doing well but doesn't rise above its price range.